1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

After Roe versus Wade is Reversed

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JustChristian, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I know you are addressing RevMitchell, but I'll give my answer.

No, one life is not worth more than another.

So where does that leave us? That abortion is okay because people commit suicide?

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

But in one, the person has brought it on themselves directly. These are clearly two different types of cases.

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I agree. I support the view that every human life is precious to God. War, capital punishment and the crime of murder all fit in the same category as abortion which is the Sanctity of Life.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A "self-induced" abortion is still the killing of a separate organism; thus, "self-induced" is an improper term.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I guess what I'm trying to say is that morally both are wrong to the same extent. They involve taking a human life. But the real thing in common is taht both can occur in private due to the choice of an individual.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, they are not. This is just sloppy thinking. War is justified in some cases. Capital punishment is commanded. Murder is forbidden. These are pretty simple and distinct categories.

7. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What would you call it when an abortion occurs without the intervention of a doctor or anyone else?

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Induced by the mother.

As opposed to suicide, which is truly self-induced.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Except...God has given commands at various times for the taking of life for certain acts.

And Gen 9 has this:
    6"Whoever sheds man's blood,
    By man his blood shall be shed,
    For in the image of God
    He made man."

So one could argue that because life is precious, he who deliberately takes a life forfeits his own life.

#29 Marcia, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
  10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Do you mean a miscarriage? That's like asking what is the difference between someone dying in an accident and someone killing him.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a better correction: A woman will self-induce an abortion. The fetus does not self-induce.

Your use of "self-induce" and comparing it to suicide ignores that the victim of a suicide self-induces, but the victim of an abortion does not.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But in the case of abortion, the individual dying is not dying as a result of his or her choice!

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marcia and mcdirector are both correct.

1) Reversing Roe v. Wade would only put it back in the state legislature and a large number, if not most, states would allow abortions of some kind.

2) The U.S. Supreme Court, regardless of how many justices Republicans appoint, will not reverse Roe v. Wade due to the social upheaval it would cause.

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, quite frankly I don't believe you. You insinuated much and boldly repeated pro-abortion progaganda. That makes your statements political.
    Neither did you offer useful suggestions. You did suggest, however, that Christians who oppose abortions are cold-hearted and cruel and want to put teenagers in jail and...(insert pro-abortion propaganda here).
    :sleep:

peace to you:praying:

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That's Right!:thumbs:

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a suggestion: A day of prayer and thanksgiving to God should be declared.

HankD

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

Many pastors never mention the sin of abortion from the pulpit. Many condone it as do some people on this forum. Many evade the issue by saying it is a personal choice as if murder were a personal choice.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

I know of two held in this area in the last few days.

19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I'm sorry you can't address a sincere attempt to consider what would be the result of legalizing abortion. I am not being sarcastic or political. You are, howver. I do not "set up things a Christian should not consider if Roe is reversed." Did you really read and understand my post? I.m doing the opposite. Your bias is turning my words around into something I didn't say. I said that Christians should consider all the self-induced abortions that will occur, and worry about those poor souls who end up in the emergency room because of the complications from those abortions.

Do you worry about woman who end up in the emergency room because of botched abortions? After all, they are murderers, right?

Arresting women, men and doctors involved in abortions is not pro-abortion propaganda. If they are criminals (murders) why shouldn't they be arrested?

Comparing suicide and abortion is not pro-abortion propaganda. Do you support either one? Don't both involve the taking of a human life? I understand that one is a crime against oneself and the other a crime against another but I think they are comparable because they are both private crimes that are difficult to stop or to punish. Somehow you don't or won't understand this. Just more pro-abortion propaganda.

This is my conclusion:

It seems to me that re-criminalizing abortion is a good objective. I believe it would reduce the number of abortions by making it more difficult to obtain them safely...However, it would not stop abortion.

You call it sarcastic. I assure you it is not. I wrote it not you. I understand what it meant not you.

I say we need to better understand why women choose abortion. I said this because we can't reduce abortions unless we understand why they occur. Once again you clain that this is pro-abortion propaganda. Nothing could be farther from the truth. You just don't understand the real problem.

As far as the effect the economy has on the number of abortions, this is well documented. You have to make it a political statement. I didn't.

You seem to want to stigmatize woman who are pregnant out of wedlock. I assure you this will increase the number of abortions. Or do you really care as long as you get across your political statement?

Finally, I am sincere with my post. You, however, are not. To you it's not really a matter of savings the lives of the unborn. It's a matter of putting down "liberals" and winning political arguments.

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Abortion is the slavery of our day. No doubt about that. But I want to know who you believe is in favor of abortion on this forum. Such an accusation needs qualification.