1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age of Accountability 2

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by PackerBacker, Nov 20, 2001.

1. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

I started a new thread because the other one was getting too side tracked. Here was the orininal question DCABEZAL asked.

"What is the scriptural basis for the "Age of Accountability"?

My response to those on the other thread will be found here within the next day or two.

2. david reed

david reed New Member

Thankyou for starting a new thread PackerBacker. The other was really getting side tracked. I don't believe in an "age"
    of accountability. Mankind is made up of individuals, and that is how God deals with us, as individuals. There is, however, a
    knowledge of accountability. A baby is a born liar. Take for example the newborn infant who wakes up an entire household during the dead of night screaming their
    lungs out like something is desperatly wrong,
    when all that is the matter is that they crave the attention of mom or dad. The accountability is not really the question so much as it is the understanding of a need of God in their little lives. When they come to the knowledge of God, I believe they become accountable to God for that knowledge. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Joey M

Joey M New Member

David, nice answer, but the only problem with that is then all atheist are saved also, because they still don't have a knowledge of God. Or maybe I am reading your post wrong?

God speed.

4. ddavis

ddavis New Member

I do believe in an age of accountability, because not one of those babes ask to be conceived and didn't God tell Job he new him before he was born.
    If a fetus doesn't have a spirit at conception then we as Christian shouldn't be worried about abortions, hey what's the big deal it's just blood and tissue then!
    They do have a spirit, in the womb, as well as when they are born and if they die before coming to that age of accountability then the Lord will take them home, because they haven't had the chance to ask for that saving grace nor do they understand it yet!

Quote by james2:
    While no one knows for certain, it is my opinion that if a person's name is written in the book of life and part of the elect of God, God will see to it that the person will live so as to make his personal profession of faith in Jesus Christ.

so all of the babes that die in the womb because of abortion or the cord wrapes around the neck kills the baby there spirits are just done away with or do the go hell?

God's elect? what about Romans 10:13?

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: ddavis ]

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: ddavis ]

5. Karen

Karen Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by david reed:
    ....A baby is a born liar. Take for example the newborn infant who wakes up an entire household during the dead of night screaming their lungs out like something is desperatly wrong,when all that is the matter is that they crave the attention of mom or dad....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize this is not the main point of this thread, but I found this statement hard to accept. I trust that you have in reality treated any newborn of yours with more understanding than this suggests.

Karen

6. DocCas

DocCas New Member

The time of accountability is found in Romans chapter 7 with the key verse being verse 9. Paul talks of being "alive without the law once" but "when the commandment came, sin revived and I died." Until the "law came" I.E., Paul was able to understand the requirements of the law, he was alive, but when he was able to understand his accountability before a Holy God, "sin revived" and he was then subject to spiritual death, being eternally separated from a Holy God. There is no "age" per se, but when each of us individually comes to the ability to realize we are accountable to God. Some mental defectives never come to that place, and are thus "safe" from the judgment upon sin. For most of us it is sometime in mid to late childhood.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by david reed:
    [QB]A baby is a born liar. Take for example the newborn infant who wakes up an entire household during the dead of night screaming their lungs out like something is desperatly wrong,when all that is the matter is that they crave the attention of mom or dad. The accountability is not really the question so much as it is the understanding of a need of God in their little lives. QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not disputing that we are born to sin, but babies crying in the middle of the night are what they are supposed to do. Being unable to care for themselves, crying for food or crying for a diaper changing or crying for pain is the way God made them. .. I am certain that one could not get up and fix their own meals nor change their own diapers. Indeed, their need for their parents are great. Hence, the Jesus statement, unless we become as little children. .. thus signifying our ultimate need for God.

I work a lot with children. Children who are raised being taught Biblical and Godly things know God and love God more readily than those who are not raised this way. (Hence the importance of us teaching our children godly things -- writing them on their hearts, etc.)

There is none like a child who comes to God. Most times there are no stains of a life that has chosen massive sin and is left with scars. Nothing like a life offered to Christ this way.

Young children love God and are not weighted down by some theologies. They just love God. As they mature, they learn about the theologies.

I am not sure where the age of accountability fits in. I don't know if I can, as an adult, be accountable, because even then, in my filthy rag life, Jesus has covered me and is accountable.

8. Joy

Joy New Member

I agree with Saggy on this one. Babies cry when they are hungry and dirty, but they also cry when they are sad, or in pain, or need to know your there, or they feel frustrated because they can't communicate what they need or want. That isn't sin. The fact that babies cry all night to be naughty is a myth. Needing to be held when you are a newborn is a necesity. Babies need to be gradually taught independence- they don't come that way. Don't forget, the only thing they have known their whole life is being attatched to mother.

When they do sin, you can tell the difference. You can see it in their eyes. Even at about 5 mos. old, when they won't stay still for a diaper change, you can see the rebellion in their eyes. Even then, you must learn to discern true rebellion and normal wiggles which all young children get from time to time. ;)

All this talk of babies is making me miss mine! :D They grow up so fast! :eek: [​IMG]