1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age of Accountability

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by dheadin1, Nov 16, 2001.

1. dheadin1

dheadin1 Guest

What is the scriptural basis for the "Age of Accountability" ?

2. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Personally, I don't think there is a "Age of Accountability." I believe that is fallen, depraved man's attempt to explain what happens when young people are killed or die. It must remembered that through our Federal Representative, Adam, all have sinned, and through sin, death entered the world. So a baby, from the moment of conception is a depraved sinner and on their way to hell unless "saved" by a free gift of grace.

While noone knows for certain, it is my opinion that if a person's name is written in the book of life and part of the elect of God, God will see to it that the person will live so as to make his personal profession of faith in Jesus Christ.

And the bottom line would be that like the scriptures say, God, before the foundation of the world chose some to eternal life.
    Thank God that our salvation is totally in the hands of another -- God, and not based on what we do. ;)

3. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

There is none, just like there is no solid basis for a historical "original sin".

I believe there is no "original sin" as a physical removal of humanity from a literal place called Eden, but only "original sin" that is our innate inclination to sin that results in our personal sin (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God). Christ saves us from our personal sin, but babies who have not yet lived to commit sin go to heaven. Therefore, the "age of accountability" is that age at which one knowingly follows in Adam's footsteps and sins for the first time.

Just my 2 cents...

4. Joey M

Joey M New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>While noone knows for certain, it is my opinion that if a person's name is written in the book of life and part of the elect of God, God will see to it that the person will live so as to make his personal profession of faith in Jesus Christ. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Then what did David mean when after his child died, and he said "He can not come to me again, but I can go to him."?
    He was saying his child will be in heaven and he could go to him. For if his child went to hell then he could not go to him.
    You need to rethink your doctrine through a little bit there.

5. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

See, what I said above is consistent with what David said. We are born with the inclination to sin, but we are not born with the curse that comes from having sinned.

6. Joey M

Joey M New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I believe there is no "original sin" as a physical removal of humanity from a literal place called Eden, but only "original sin" that is our innate inclination to sin that results in our personal sin (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God). Christ saves us from our personal sin, but babies who have not yet lived to commit sin go to heaven. Therefore, the "age of accountability" is that age at which one knowingly follows in Adam's footsteps and sins for the first time.

Just my 2 cents...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This can niether be true because a baby when still just a toddler knows how to lie and other such things. Though they may not fully understand that it is sin. But then there are some grown up here on this board that believe homosexuality is ok and do not believe it is sin. Then is it that it is not sin to them because they believe it not to be? I think not. It is still sin. Yet these babies and children are under the grace of God, just as Jesus told his disciples, unless you become as one of these little ones, you shall in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven.
    Oh and suppose you believe all of Genisis is myth, huh?

God speed.

7. Joey M

Joey M New Member

All mankind is born into sin, or do you not believe what the Bible says?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>See, what I said above is consistent with what David said. We are born with the inclination to sin, but we are not born with the curse that comes from having sinned. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Joey M ]

8. DocCas

DocCas New Member

The time of accountability is found in Romans chapter 7 with the key verse being verse 9. Paul talks of being "alive without the law once" but "when the commandment came, sin revived and I died." Until the "law came" I.E., Paul was able to understand the requirements of the law, he was alive, but when he was able to understand his accountability before a Holy God, "sin revived" and he was then subject to spiritual death, being eternally separated from a Holy God. There is no "age" per se, but when each of us individually comes to the ability to realize we are accountable to God. Some mental defectives never come to that place, and are thus "safe" from the judgment upon sin. For most of us it is sometime in mid to late childhood.

9. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

&gt;Joey: This can niether be true because a baby when still just a toddler knows how to lie and other such things. Though they may not fully understand that it is sin.

BWS: If the toddler told a lie, he understands that it is wrong. Don't fool yourself.

&gt;Joey: But then there are some grown up here on this board that believe homosexuality is ok and do not believe it is sin.

BWS: And in my opinion, they are wrong, but I am willing to listen to their defense of it.

&gt;Joey: Then is it that it is not sin to them because they believe it not to be? I think not. It is still sin.

BWS: Amen.

&gt;Joey: Yet these babies and children are under the grace of God, just as Jesus told his disciples, unless you become as one of these little ones, you shall in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven.

BWS: Amen and amen.

&gt;Joey: Oh and suppose you believe all of Genisis is myth, huh?

BWS: No, just 1-11 is purely symbolic. Gen 12-50 is mostly legend, not myth, and there may be a historical kernel to 12-50.

10. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

Joey says:
    &gt; All mankind is born into sin, or do you not believe what the Bible says?

BWS: The Bible doesn't say that. It says "every inclination of his heart is evil from birth" and "through one man sin entered the world". There's a big difference.

11. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

The London Confession of Baptist Faith, Chapter VI

Of the Fall of Man, of Sin, and the Punishment Thereof

I. Although God created man upright and perfect, and gave him a righteous law, which had been unto life had he kept it, and threatened death upon the breach thereof,[1] yet he did not long abide in this honour; Satan using the subtlety of the serpent to subdue Eve, then by her seducing Adam, who, without any compulsion, did willfully transgress the law of their creation, and the command given unto them, in eating the forbidden fruit,[2] which God was pleased, according to His wise and holy counsel to permit, having purposed to order it to His own glory.

1. Gen. 2:16-17
    2. Gen. 3:12-13; II Cor. 11:3

II. Our first parents, by this sin, fell from their original righteousness and communion with God, and we in them whereby death came upon all;[3] all becoming dead in sin,[4] and wholly defiled in all the faculties and parts of soul and body.[5]

3. Rom. 3:23
    4. Rom. 5:12-21
    5. Titus 1:15; Gen. 6:5; Jer. 17:9; Rom. 3:10-19

III. They being the root, and by God's appointment, standing in the room and stead of all mankind, the guilt of the sin was imputed, and corrupted nature conveyed, to all their posterity descending from them by ordinary generation,[6]being now conceived in sin,[7] and by nature children of wrath,[8] the servants of sin, the subjects of death,[9] and all other miseries, spiritual, temporal, an eternal, unless the Lord Jesus set them free.[10]

6. Rom. 5:12-19; I Cor. 15:21-22, 45, 49
    7. Psa. 51:5; Job 14:4
    8. Eph. 2:3
    9. Rom. 6:20; 5:12
    10. Heb. 2:14-15; I Thess. 1:10

IV. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil;[11] do proceed all actual transgressions.[12]

11. Rom. 8:7; Col. 1:21
    12. James 1:14-15; Matt. 15:19

V. The corruption of nature, during this life, doth remain in those that are regenerated;[13] and although it be through Christ pardoned and mortified, yet both itself, and the first motions thereof, are truly and properly sin.[14]

13. Rom. 7:18, 23; Eccl. 7:20; I John 1:8
    14. Rom. 7:23-25; Gal. 5:17

12. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

Sorry, I accept no creed but the Bible.

13. Brian

Brian New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWSmith:
    Sorry, I accept no creed but the Bible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats not a creed nor is it presented to be equal with or superior to scripture.
    And really I'm not trying to start anything malicious but I don't get this.

There are some here who in one breath correct people. Thats not what the Bible says this is. (not going back to a versions thing)

Then state that a good portion is myth, ledgend or allegorical fantasy for instruction.

Then again say I'm right youre wrong because the bible says...

Regardless of version either you believe all of it literally or you don't believe at all really. Say what you will I don't care either you do or you don't.

14. Brian

Brian New Member

Previous post was two seperate thoughts sorry posted too quick again. Also will add this apology, neither of these have anything to do with age of accountablity. I'll shut up now.

15. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Just curious what happened to the babies and children that God destroyed in the flood and Sodom and Gomorrah? Also, I'm curious why God told Saul to go kill all the Amalekites including, "infant and nursing child." 1 Sam. 15:3.

Just my thoughts, but it seems we either have unrighteous children in these accounts or an unrighteous God.

16. Brian

Brian New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWSmith:
    Joey says:

BWS: The Bible doesn't say that. It says "every inclination of his heart is evil from birth" and "through one man sin entered the world". There's a big difference.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could this mean that if one did not follow that inclination thay could go to heaven?
    (edit follows) Without Jesus.

AMEN Thomas!!!! The whole council of God will explain everything. If you beleive it all that is.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Brian ]

17. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PackerBacker:
    Just curious what happened to the babies and children that God destroyed in the flood and Sodom and Gomorrah? Also, I'm curious why God told Saul to go kill all the Amalekites including, "infant and nursing child." 1 Sam. 15:3.

Just my thoughts, but it seems we either have unrighteous children in these accounts or an unrighteous God.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any takers on this one yet? Just trying to keep this topic alive.

18. Joey M

Joey M New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by PackerBacker:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any takers on this one yet? Just trying to keep this topic alive.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think these children are in hell. Maybe the ones in Sodom who came out with there parents to do the evil deeds also, because they were probably past the age of accountablity if they were out there. But as for the babies, God just took them on home.
    And as for the Amakilties, God wanted these peple destoyed because they were against Him, again as for the babies God just took them on Home.
    Was David's child evil? Did it go to hell?
    Why would you say that God is unrighteous for taken a soul home to be with Him. God doesn't see death the same way we do. That child of David's was far better off once God took him. Even David seen this for he mourned for the child before it died and then washed his face and ate after the child had died.
    I just love the way you judge God. Saying He is not righteous if He does something a certain way. Does He now go with your counseling, does He now heed to you. The Bible says "God's ways are not man's ways."
    Just because you don't understand something, I think it is quiet dangerous to judge God and say that He would be unrighteous to do something. I am not saying this to try to support my view, I am saying this because you are putting your views above God's when you say God would be unrighteous if He did anything. God would still be righteous if He sent you, me and everyone else in this world to hell.

God speed.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Joey M ]

19. Brian

Brian New Member

First if they weren't accountable many here like myself believe thay they would not be in Hell.
    Second the lesson learned from Gods 'cleansing' of the world and fo sodom and gomorrah is that God does not comprimise. The Jews when taking the Promised land had many more difficulties because they were tricked into comprimise. They didn't drive out all of the other peoples like God told them to and the books of Chronicles and Kings are full of good KIng no idols bad king worshipped idols.

Last thought on this those childeren turned out much better off than their parents who were very accuntable for their sin.

20. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Joey says:
    BW, who is that “one man” by whom “sin entered the world?” You deny that Adam was real. Then you quote scripture you don’t even believe and then say, “Sorry, I accept no creed but the Bible.” Oh, the futility of arguing with an errantist, because you have no rules.