1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age of Accountability

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I have found Mark 10:14 helpful in dealing with situations such as this. While is doesn't anwer the age of accountability question, I think a five year old is a child by any standard.
    While we're on this subject, where does scripture address the matter of "age of accountability"?

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I'm not sure it addresses it specifically by that phrase, if at all.

However, Jesus started teaching in the temple when he was 12 and that is why Jewish Bar Mitzvahs are held when a boy turns 12. That leads me to believe that 12 is a fairly good 'marker' for the age of accountability in the Bible.

I have known children that have gotten saved at a younger age, but a lot of them don't really understand and will get saved 'again' later in life.

It depends on the child and their maturity level, as well as how they are brought up. It stands to reason that when one is raised in a Christian home, they will understand salvation at an earlier age.

At age 5, I believe children are still under the protection of God's grace.

3. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Minor correction here: Jewish Bar Mitzvahs are held when a boy turns 13, not 12. When a girl turns 12, she has a Bat Mitzvah. I was raised Reform Jewish...although I didn't have a Bat Mitzvah, my older brother was 13 when he had his Bar Mitzvah. That is the age when a boy "supposedly" becomes a "man"...so I was told by our rabbi. I went through Confirmation when I was 15...both boys and girls get confirmed at age 15.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Thus saieth the prophet Scribe.

5. Servent

Servent Member

Depends on were you are in some states like in northern N.Y. Churches are few and far between

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Praise the Lord that this is not always true. I would have to reconsider mine own testimony if this is true. However, I know that I know. :applause:

7. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I love the quote, "they got mad door knocking skills"

That is great!

:laugh:

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

2 Peter 3:3 (KJV)
    Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

Nothing new from the mocker. :saint:

9. Magnetic Poles

So tell us prophet, from whence dost thou derive 11-13? And if you are applying the passage to me, what am I lusting after? :laugh: You really are a master at tossing out random out of context scriptures and acting self righteous, aren't you?

10. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Lust doesn't always me sex. And, the verse isn't out of context or being self righteous.

Bar Mitzvahs are held when a boy turns thirteen, that works for me. But by thirteen everyone is accountable.

11. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

This thing about age begs another question..... What about the retarded?

I think of accountablity and reaching the ability to understand right from wrong as being similar... but do I know this for sure; not really.

One thing I do know, God is holy. God is righteous. God is just. In all things I must learn to trust Him. He is sovereign. This veil of flesh shrouds him from my clear view, understanding, and knowledge. But I'm sure that He is as He says He is.... His Word proves true over and over!

Therefore, I must trust Him totally in those things which are not my business. If they are not my business.... then though I may make it my concern, it really should not be my concern.

How to comfort someone who doesn't trust God? I don't know. If they believe there's a God, if they think there's an afterlife, if they think there are future rewards and punishment..... its a tough call. For those who don't believe, listen to them, let them tell their stories and share memories, pray for them, give the gift of your presence to comfort in their loss, emphathise, be helpful, if opportunity opens to tell them of the hope you have in Christ Jesus then let the spirit guide:

Maintain your confidence when sharing that God loves them: God is just: God doesnot judge like we might judge... but our confidence is that His judgement is righteous. We may not know 'which way one went' but we do know Christ work on the cross was a completed work. An infant, a child, a youth... we may not know with certainty.... but we know what is past is past, there is no undoing or changing, and it does us no emotionally or spiritually any good to dwell and live in the past and 'what ifs?'.

God gives us each day, the present, the now: what counts are decisions we make 'now'. The plans for tomorrow are intentions but are not 'now'. Now is where we live and exist and make our choice before God and man. If and when a person believes in Jesus for his salvation, assurance and comfort can be given that 'all things work together for them who are the called according to his purpose' etc. Before such time of conviction and commitment, such a promise, other than sharing it as a statement of your own faith in the presence of adversity, would be premature.

We are so accustomed to wanting to know..... Sometimes we must 'accept' as an exercise of faith not to know everything and place our confidence in God.

(I don't think it pertains to this, but isn't there scripture regarding a marriage and one is saved and another not... yet if they're willing to dwell together.... their children are sanctified.... Always wondered 'bout that.)

12. Magnetic Poles

Of course not, I never said it did. But you are avoiding answering the question.

Verse out of context. YOU, self-righteous.

Thus saith the prophet, Scribe. Thank God we have the prophet revealing truth to us. :rolleyes:

13. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Nope.

I will agree. I do tell people the truth. ;)

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

While a Bar Mitzvah is held at 13 for us in our modern culture, has it always been that a child at 13 becomes an adult? Is this a Biblical practice? I haven't seen it yet. If God did not hold those under 20 years old responsible for the whining and complaining when the Israelites were in the desert, I think that means something. I'm not sure if it's a number to hold over to make up an "age of accountability" because honestly, most should be accountable for themselves before that age (even in our culture of stunted growth in our young people). But it's still telling that God used 20 as a number where those under that age were NOT accountable and those over 20 were.

I still feel that it's not an 'age' but that God knows when one's heart, mind and soul are mature enough to be held responsible. So I don't worry about age - but I do worry about bringing up my own children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord and each one - down to my littlest - have chosen to follow the Lord each on their own. I do pray that they continue to grow in Him and become more and more Christlike as they grow.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

But since when did Bar (or Bat) Mitzvahs become an issue of Scripture?

I'm not arguing against the Age of Accountability...I'm just questioning the reasoning behind saying "eleven to thirteen," and wondering if we are messing up by picking what seems to be a somewhat arbitrary age range.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It doesn't :confused:

How does one have adultery without sex?

17. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Doesn't always mean sex. Typo. :smilewinkgrin:

Lust:a passionate or overmastering desire or craving (usually fol. by for): a lust for power. Lust after an object, money, power and so on.
    Ardent enthusiasm; zest; relish: an enviable lust for life.
    Desire; inclination; wish.
    to have a yearning or desire; have a strong or excessive craving (often fol. by for or after).

18. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Hi friend,
    I am a firm believer in the age of accountability. I find scriptures that support it. I do not feel there is an exact age, I find it to be when the Lord visits (Or speaks to) a person. This is when they have the knowledge and are accountable for their sins.
    The blood of Christ cleansed all of the penalty of the original sin of Adam. Until a child comes to the understanding, they are covered by the blood of Christ.

A few scriptures that may help is:
    1 Tim 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe

Mat 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven

My prayers are with this family. God bless.