1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age of accountability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by freeatlast, Aug 26, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There seems to be a great deal of confusion about the teaching of the age of accountability. This raises a question at least for me. How many see the possibility of great harm in the teaching of age of accountability since the bible never deals with it?
    This is why God never wants us to hold doctrines that are not covered in scripture. It is adding to the word of God even if it is not literally added to the writings.
    Let me point out just one thing about is a great problem with teaching the age of accountability. What is the age?

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'll try to find it, but I recall Allan posting a very good defense for this doctrine. Meanwhile, I will say, that some might argue the doctrine of the "Trinity" is not really taught in scripture either because the word itself doesn't appear and it is the result of the systematization of many various texts. So, I'm not sure those are grounds on which to dismiss any particular doctrine out of hand...

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not talking about a word. I am talking about a doctrine. What is the age? When we add to scriptures with teachings not there we confuse scriptures. What is the age?

4. Skandelon

5. Skandelon

Here he specifically addresses your question:

And he goes on to lay those verses out...

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

A link to what? That does not give an age. What is the age? What he is saying is that ignorance keeps the person from responsibility. There is no age of accountability in scripture.

#6 freeatlast, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
  7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

realise that ALL are sinners, whio were born in state /condition that would cause God to condemn them BUT

God is able to 'forbade" the sins of those who are either challenged mentally, or else children nut responsible for their sins yet, as not able to understand that concept yet mentally...

No specific age, just whenever the person knows that God is there, and they have indded sinned before God and nopw guilty before Him...

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There are no verses. There are verses people twist into the man made doctrine, but there are no verses that deal with age of accountability. What is the age?

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Show me the scripture that teaches that since by your rendering the person could be 20 or 30 or even more depending on their background and understanding. In fact by your rendering all Gnostics would be safe as they reject that they ever sin against God. Or the atheists who do not believe there is a God. They don't know they have sinned against Him. Your assumption is deeply flawed. What is the age?

#9 freeatlast, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have been shown that there is no specific, cookie cutter age for each individual. You just don't like that answer.

God did set an age of accountability for the Israelites to enter the promised land, it was under 19.

11. JesusFan

ALL of us are accountible to God , its just that there is not set date/age, as once we realise that God is there, and that we are sinners before God, we are now accountible to Him...

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word of God does not teach age of accountability.

It teaches that which is born of the flesh is flesh. That is inclusive of all
    who are born.

They must be born again.

And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS. This is he that came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood.(Virgin birth) And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist,

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Blood Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood [is] the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh. For the blood [is] the life, nephesh, soul. The living soul is in the blood. That is how it is said of the Christ that he poured out his soul unto death.

Who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. No blood, he has been born of the spirit and his life (soul) is no longer in the blood.
    Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you. And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, [now] no more to return to corruption,

He was raised, both soul and flesh and bones no more to return to corruption.

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

that in all he might have the preeminence.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Then all atheist are not accountable correct?

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think that just in this short session of two pages of answers we see just how dangerous the teaching of age of accountability is. The scripture never teaches such a doctrine. I am not saying there is no provision, but I categorically do say there is no biblical teaching on the doctrine. This is why scripture wans about adding to scripture as it corrupts other doctrines that are taught and true.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

perco I agree with you while I also hold out hope for babies even if scripture does not speak to it, but what I will not do is teach that there is biblical proof of the age of accountability as it is a very dangerous teaching.

16. JesusFan

yes, as they would have the knowledge from general Creation that there is a God, and that they were sinners, even if they surpress this truth, are aware and guilty of it before God!

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

But that is not what you said. Here was your statement;
    "as once we realise that God is there, and that we are sinners before God"
    Are your changing your statement since scripture does not teach what you said?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The converse can be said of you position as well, as the Bible supports an age of accountability and you deny it, which is adding to Scripture

19. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There is no "age of accountability--no magical age when everyone suddenly becomes enlightened and able to realize that they need Christ. That time is different with everyone, although God knows when each of us is able to understand and therefore able to be held accountable. Children know at a very young age when they've done wrong and learn to lie at a very young age. A 2-year-old breaks a lamp and blames it on the dog. He knows he's done wrong and lies about it. However, can he really understand the concept of being eternally lost in his sins and in need of a Saviour?

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So are you saying that as long as a person does not know they are lost they are safe? By the way I was saved in my 30's and did not understand the concept so are you saying I was safe up until I understood my need? Also what about the Gnostic who is taught that they have no sin are they safe?
    Again I think it is clear just how dangerous this teaching of age of accountability is.