1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Airline Tells Woman Her Outfit Won't Fly

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

SAN DIEGO (AP) - A 23-year-old woman who boarded a Southwest Airlines plane in a short skirt for a flight to Arizona says she was led off the plane for wearing an outfit that was considered too skimpy.
    Kyla Ebbert said a Southwest employee asked her to leave her seat while the plane was preparing to leave San Diego's Lindbergh Field on July 3.
    Ebbert, a student who was headed to Tucson for a doctor's appointment, said Friday on NBC's "Today" show that the employee told her she would have to catch a later flight.
    "You're dressed inappropriately. This is a family airline. You're too provocative to fly on this plane," she quoted the employee as saying.
    "I said, 'What part is it? The shirt? The skirt? Which part?' And he said the whole thing."
    Ebbert was eventually allowed back on the plane after offering to adjust her sweater but said she was humiliated and embarrassed.
    "I felt like everybody was staring me. They had all heard him lecturing me," she told "Today" show host Matt Lauer. She appeared on the show in the same short white skirt, white shirt and green sweater that she said she wore on the flight.
    Chris Mainz, a spokesman for the Dallas-based airline, said a customer service supervisor asked Ebbert to leave the plane and addressed her in the walkway leading back to the terminal, "away from the other customers." The employee felt the outfit "revealed too much" but was placated after Ebbert made adjustments that included covering her stomach, Mainz said.
    http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20070908/D8RH0GCO0.html
    I bet this is a first.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This from an airline whose flight attendants used to wear hot pants, gave out peanuts called "Love Bites", and had billboards all over Houston referencing their frequent flights to Dallas' Love Field, proclaiming "We make Love 14 times a day."

The times, they are a'changin'!

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I saw what she had on, and while I've seen worse, the airline needs to be more specific what "obscene" (the word the flight attendant used) really is. While her skirt was short, I wouldn't classify it as obscene. I think it's telling that the flight attendant on the return trip complimented her on her outfit. I think she will sue, and win.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

I think she will sue & win also

5. Jules80

Jules80 New Member

I'm glad to see someone is addressing this issue....i'm not one for forcing my beliefs onto others, but some things are just disgraceful.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Does she really think no one noticed before he said something? She must know staring came before the lecture and only continued after...

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Imagine that, a hooters waitress that does not know how to dress properly. The airline will probably loose unless they have some kind of posted dress code but I am glad someone at least tried.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure I understand you answer...are you glad someone tried suing the airline, or you are glad someone tried to keep her off the flight?

9. Magnetic Poles

Folks need to worry less about what other people are doing/wearing, and work on themselves.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I disagree, there has to be a minimum standard of decency or the world could become a nudist colony. You think this is how Sodom got started?

11. Magnetic Poles

Seriously, what a slippery slope fallacy that is. The whole world a nudist colony? C'mon.

I guess you disagree with Christ's tale about the mote in thine own eye.

#11 Magnetic Poles, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why in the world do you think she could win a lawsuit against the airline?

The airline has a right to enforce standards on their flights. Yes, I saw the outfit that she was wearing on the NBC Today show (an exclusive interview, they claimed) and the control room thought it appropriate to blur the picture between her legs when she sat down on the sofa after showing Matt Lauer how "appropriate" her outfit was... Although Lauer obviously didn't know that they blurred part of the broadcast for the sake of propriety, it is telling that the people at NBC thought it necessary to censor the image so as not to violate broadcast standards.

And then there was the NOW spokesperson who claimed that a man wouldn't ever be asked to change his clothing if it were somewhat provocative... Bad accusation. In the (I think) A&E reality series "Airline," (a series that showed what Southwest Airlines (same airline!) employees go through each day, there was a segment where a man was wearing an outfit (I think it was a pair of shorts) that the airline believed was too revealing when he sat down. He was forced to change clothes or find other transportation.

Nope. Southwest Airlines has the right to enforce standards on their flights, and if someone doesn't like it, they can fly another airline.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
    I do not work for Southwest Airlines, nor do I particularly like them, especially regarding their role in overturning the Wright Amendment. I have only flown Southwest Airlines once, and did not have a very good experience on the flight. I have a choice when I fly, and I tend to choose an airline other than Southwest.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

I saw the Today show interview where said woman was wearing "the" outfit.

At one point, she stood up to show the skirt's length. When she went to sit down, the network had to put a "blur" up for a second before she could get her legs crossed.

She saw nothing wrong with her outfit, but on national TV her midsection had to be "pixelated" for a moment so as to not be considered obscene & fineworthy.

Kind of destroyed her credibility....

What I wish was different about the situation:
    • The girl: She's clueless, as too many are, of what she does to the minds of men by wearing such clothing. Some of us who are trying to stay pure in thought don't need that.
    • The girl's mom: What an example of coddling. No wonder she's bratty.
    • The airline: If the girl's account is accurate, I wish the airline would have privately addressed her...not in front of others (that is assuming the girl's account is accurate).

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Please show what "standard" Southwest used to refuse her flying, and why that same "standard" was not enforced on the return flight.

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what was reported, another passenger complained about her attire. In the show, "Airline," the man was asked to change because of the complaint of another passenger.

Apparently their standard is based upon the comfort and concern of the other passengers.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's not entirely accurate. The flight attendant deemed her attire "obscene"...it had nothing to do with other passengers, but a personal vandetta by a rogue FA. The FA on the return flight actually said she looked "cute" and complimented her on her outfit. There was no standard of decensy used, and quite frankly, her outfit was not obscene or offensive, IMO. Skirt was pretty short, but that was about it.

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the first FA was a church-going, religious, heterosexual person, and the other one on the return flight home was a "liberated", "skin"-beaching lesbian who likes pretty women ?

:rolleyes: :smilewinkgrin:

I mean, you know, what would people think if I, a 250 lb., 5'9" guy, commented another guy on how nice his outfit is and that he looks "cute" in it ?

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your source of information that this was the act of "a rogue FA"?

One of the news stories I read reported that a passenger complained.

So what?

Perhaps that was "a rogue FA" that was trying to pick her up? Who knows...

Ah... now we're going to be legalists about it. I used to work at a private (non-religious) school where the high school girls had uniforms that were decidedly unflattering to the female figure... which was the point. A large number of the girls spent an enormous amount of time and effort figuring out ways to make their uniforms as "slutty" as possible while remaining just inside the boundaries of the rules. Every day there was a constant battle between the administration and some of the students because they violated the spirit of the rules, but obeyed the letter of the rules. Therefore, the "standard of decency" must be something other than merely a list of regulations. Flight attendents must be able to use their discretion. Furthermore, they must also be careful to act upon the concerns of other passengers for the common good.

I disagree. So did NBC when they were trying to do a bit on the Today show to show how unreasonable Southwest Airlines had been. They ended up pixelating her groin area because when she sat down you could see directly up her skirt. FWIW, I saw another segment on her where she sat down (possible the uncensored version of the Today show interview) and I had a very clear shot of her panties. And if she was not wearing all of her foundational undergarments on the day of her flight (like some women do in hot weather), it would be a problem by almost anyone's standards.

I'm guessing you didn't see her sitting down. (And that's how almost everyone travels on Southwest Airlines.) :laugh:

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Perhaps my alanogy was extreme but my point wasn't if we are to happily co-exist as a society. Slippery slope, I say not.

Touche about the mote in mine eye but I would also expect to be stopped getting on a plane if I squezzed my 300lb 5'8" gift of masculinity into a pair of speedos and a cut off tank top and tried to board. There just has to be a limit wouldn't you say? :laugh:

20. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I completely agree with BB again. Somebody stop me!:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.