1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Airs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Apr 14, 2013.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I gotcha' man:thumbsup:...For the most part, I was just trying to pay you a compliment, and tell you I appreciate you. Just say "Thanks"! :tongue3:

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will answer you question when you show anything scriptural to support your ideas...
    Show me in scripture where God has lone ranger christians, who are like loose cannons just shooting this way and that.

There is no rush so do not let the "flurry" of scripture passages get to you...

take any of them and show me how I am seeing something that is not there?

EWF....
    Show me where this is suggested in the bible?
    When Paul said he was all things to all men, he did not mean he compromised his stance.I could have offered many many more passages...and do not have to pull them from the 1689, or the cathechism.

We all offer opinions...I am asking you for scripture...or scriptural opinions where you are basing some of your recent ideas on.

Because I go to scripture....does it follow that I am on the verge of legalism?

Have you seen me post legalistically in any of my 5000 posts? Do you really think I am in danger?

EWF...let me suggest that because you are not in a good situation with a nearby church...you are sort of ....floating around....just starting to suggest ideas without much biblical support.
    You say i am idealistic[whatever that means]. I see the reformers and puritans, and anyone else we learn from sounding these alarms for our benefit....not to bring anyone into a legalistic bondage.

Cut and paste portions of where you believe I have strayed away from biblical thought...

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hos,

I am thankful that we can have a forum where we can seek to edify each other. We have our differences and sometimes we think the other person has gone over the edge.Yet i see where you are sometimes objective enough to speak up. I am trying to do that with EWF at this time, but we are not seeing it the same this time, but I feel i do have to comment.

This kind of issue if drawn out can be helpful and suggestive to some who might not have even considered this is a vital issue for church growth and life.
    I would like to see more jump in and try to fine tune some of the thoughts.
    Being challenged directly sometimes results in the most growth.I am thankful for your thoughts on this:thumbs::wavey:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Icono says:

If someone comes to a christian with a serious issue and needs a word in season,and the other person has his head filled with sportscenter, or cartoons, or anything else other than scripture...what do they have to offer???

So Cromwell here is the self appointed Scriptural Bible Scholar ready to help all who come hither & yon to him with deep serious answers! Oh boy, aren't you the Pharisee.

Of course after encountering the likes of you, they will know instinctively not to ask you what the standing of the Mets is in the National league & who they are playing next.....and I guess going out for a beer is definitely a sinful act in your book.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats a deflection....I asked you a serious question & you tried to derail it with a myrad of Proof texts . If you dont want to answer it merely say so & move on.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I think your posts here are much ado about nothing.

Nobody is advocating sinning willy nilly.

Nobody is advocating taking a lax stand on sin.

Take your photo for example. You appear in it to be a very fat man. That's ok with me. I'm fat too.

And maybe you don't struggle with a quick temper like some guys, but you probably DO struggle with pushing away from the table.

Now, how should your church members treat you, seeing as how you struggle with gluttony and perhaps laziness? Should you feel like you ought to go get liposuction so they will think better of you?

Or should it be that your fellow church members are so humbled by their own struggles that you know they do not look down upon you for yours?

You should be so consumed with your own faults, which like Paul late in life, are PLENTY, that people feel comfortable being real and open in your presence.

The Word of God does not say, "Put on airs- that's what gives the church a great testimony in the world!"

It says, "CONFESS YOUR FAULTS ONE TO ANOTHER."

That is what the Bible teaches. That is what I am advocating. You should be for it, too.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Earth, Wind & Fire

Paul said all christians are to strive to be holy.We are told we can follow his example. Puritans are bad guys to you?
    I would rather obey scripture and be a throwback,then ignore verse after verse and make excuses for sin. I am guilty as charged.

I mention following after holiness so now I am a legalist,even though i asked if you could show a post where I suggest legalism. You have not responded to either post I offered. I understand...you cannot....sooo ....I must be a legalist:laugh:

You are not concerned with the scripture so I think we are done here. No need for your personal attacks.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Luke2427

Where did I say this? Which post was that?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Burst out into laughing.... Now thats laughable LOL! so tell me Tony, what do you know about these people? Tell me, Ya ever been poor...do you know about starvation ? (Lukes already made comment on that one) Ha Ha..... you got empathy for them do you..... REALLY?!? Tell me then how you've been helping these folks out! come on tell me all that you personally do for other people..... Im very interested in hearing your whole story? I myself was raised in poverty & destitution, so Id love to hear all about how you personally fought your way out & payed it forward....Please, make me feel small & insignificant next to your .....how shall I say it.....LARGENESS! :laugh:
    Ha Ha Ha...... Oh Saint Anthony, I can even go on and add to that list of your majestic & omnipresent accomplishments of yours ....but I believe your critics and your friends on this forum already know the depths so I dont have rehash or be indiscreet. Oh Tony, please, my heart goes out to you but I'm quite confident that YOU have found quite a nitch for yourself with all the angels in heaven :laugh: Im sure your comfortable in little nest youve made for yourself. But who am I to quarrel with God other son??? LOL
    Im not worthy, not worthy!

#49 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Boy did this thead turn ugly.

I would rather see the Osteenian fake smiles and christothespianism than what I have seen here.

Iconoclast and I disagree more often than not, but the unchristlike jabs at his weight and mocking him is completely out of line.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I totally agree with you Webdog. :mad:

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh really....but his taking a comment I made (from another thread) and posting it here & implying that I am demeaning people who Ive actively been working with ....now thats OK in your book right! Did he have to stoop to that level....ahhhh NO! But did he go out of his way to make it appear bad ......Yea at his 1st available opportunity he used it as one would use a weapon.

So you tell me, who's the cheap shot artist?!?.

Frankly, I will be kind....he is disingenuous & if you feel he is a good Christian, you really need to take a closer look.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know all the cross thread feuds going on, I just know what I see, and what this thread is certainly is not pretty.

Its also not my place to judge who's a good christian.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto........................

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you Webdog and Amy G,and RevM,

I stand by what I posted and think it is a crucial issue in Churches.
    For Luke to make those comments did not bother me in that while I am heavier than i would like to be....I am not a lazy, gluttonous person.
    I am not a small person having lifted weights and competed athletically in three sports ,and one at a national level:thumbs:
    That being said..... if I was a morbidly obese whale...I would expect brothers in Christ to speak to me about the stewardship of my physical body.
    I would welcome that advice as I know they were trying to help.

What I offered by way of comments about Holiness being essential I believe and stand by.

14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

When someone gets convicted of covering sin and are not ready to hear it, they can strike back in the flesh.

As I said earlier we are free in Christ however:
    1 Peter 2:16
    As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

EWF could not respond to any of the verses because he wants to do what is right in his own mind,no matter what scripture says evidently.

Now I see what the deal is...I can adjust.Thanks again for your objectivity:thumbs:

#55 Iconoclast, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Web, he couldnt leave it alone.....he had to throw another punch....and not at Luke who rightly told him that he was making too much of the conversation, noooo...this was a roundhouse swing at me cause I told him he was being an idealist. And of course dont deal squarely with that like a man would do.....take a comment I made somewhere else & instigate something else. Dont even take it "Private" & hash it out.....thats some friend huh. NOT SO MUCH AFTER THIS CRUD he isnt.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Without getting into the above debate, here is a good example. Lets focus on the unwritten rule of no dancing. First of all, not a one of you can make a Biblical case for this stance. Christ said if you love Me, you will obey My commands. He did NOT say make up new ones to obey based on your opinion.

The logic is dancing leads to cheating on a spouse or some other illicit affair. Baloney. An evil heart is the origin of such a sin. If one has decided that they are going to cheat on their spouse, they are going to find a way. No one in history ever said, "gee, I think I will go dancing with this person tonight to see if I want to take them to bed." This is total insanity.

This is an exact example of the thinking that leads to the core problem in churches addressed by this thread. I could go on and submit other words to substitute for dancing, like investing in the stock market, lottery tickets, movies, etc, etc, etc.

The reason one can spot them coming is the Holy Spirit. Not only are the rules they worrying about a bunch of baloney, the sins they ignore like gossip are not baloney.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

What?!?!?!? :eek: You mean you missed those verses where Apostle Paul wrote, "If dancing causes my weaker Brother to stumble, I'll do no tango"? :eek:

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was .... "Then go take dancing Lessions" :laugh:

I love dancing.... met my wife at a dance. We used to go dancing often, generally on date nights.

Here is how the tango (indeed all dancing) should be presented. With a element of class. :love2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2zTd_YwTvo

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I guess you just couldn't win her over with the "texas two-step", "the charleston", "the carleton"(from Fresh Prince of Bel-aire), the "electric slide", the "mashed potatoe", or the "twist", eh? :laugh: