1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Al Mohler to be Nominated for SBC Presidency

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 2, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Story

DALLAS—Southern Baptist Theological Seminary President R. Albert Mohler Jr. provides “the kind of visionary leader Southern Baptists need to communicate a missional conservatism and biblical clarity to the world,” stated Robert Jeffress, pastor of the historic First Baptist Church of Dallas in announcing his intention to nominate the 47-year-old Mohler for Southern Baptist Convention president in June.
    In a news release provided to the Southern Baptist TEXAN Jan. 2, Jeffress said his decision is the result of prayer and concern for the future of Southern Baptists’ global witness. He said he believes Mohler would “motivate Southern Baptists to unite around cooperation for global missions and evangelism.”

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Praise God! Edited to say I answered my own question by reading the story! :))

#2 reformedbeliever, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    good! He's a good man... and probably he's forgotten as much as I know :laugh:

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is wonderful news !

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Intellectually brilliant and theologically sound. And he has the political savvy to navigage the SBC land mines.

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

This is all that's necessary to even further divide the SBC. Southern Baptists used to be a powerful force for good in this country. Now more often than not they stand on they wrong side of many issues. BTW, every major Protestant denomination and the Catholics came out publically against the war in Iraq except one, the SBC.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Mohler has the brilliance of Einstein

A master theologian

8. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You say that like it's a bad thing. That's about the most honest and intelligent thing the SBC has done with regard to the international situation this past year.

I do, however, have to agree that this nomination will divide the SBC further. The division will be theological, though, not political. Mohler, for all his correct cultural, moral stands he espouses, is a dyed in the wool Calvinist. Most Southern Baptists are not. If the Calvinists are true to form, they will arrogantly proclaim their superiority and entitlement to return to the leadership of the SBC -- and it will breed alot of unnecessary resentment and conflict.

The wise thing for Baptists to do is reelect Frank Page (if he's going to be renominated) and let it ride for another year. That will at least give some a chance to breathe and consider the impact of such issues. It won't change anything, but it will give folks room to plan for the fallout.

JDale

#8 JDale, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then why is he a calvinist? :laugh:

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What more can I say! :godisgood:

11. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Everybody has to make up their own mind about the invasion of Iraq. I happen to think it was a terrible mistake. Why pull out troops from Afghanastan and attack Iraq? But you're welcome to you're opinion.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

BaptistBeliever----what in the world does the invasion of Iraq have to do with Al Mohler and the SBC?????:type:

13. PastorSBC1303

Same reason your pastor is ;)

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I will make some predictions.

1. If Dr. Mohler's Calvinism does become an issue, he will defuse it quickly pointing to his record on missions and evangelism. People will remember that he and Paige Patterson had a vigorous, but cordial and civil, discussion of the issue at a SBC Pastors Conference. Dr. Patterson has preached at Southern Seminary Chapel. Such acts send a strong message. Those who oppose Dr. Mohler because he is a Calvinist are going to wind up looking silly.

2. Dr. Mohler is not, and will not be, a polarizing figure. A huge number of Southern Baptists, Cals and non-Cals, think he is a real heavyweight, intellectually and theologically.

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Part of the SBC's problem is we've divided people up; considering some "heavyweights" and "master theologians"; It adds to the political garbage that plagues the convention, not for the better.

I'll take the person who intimately knows Jesus over any particular "system"; and that doesn't show by degrees or debating ability. By the way....I'm not saying anything about Molher. I like him. I'm talking about how believers lift up other believers to ridiculous levels.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It's not an either-or situation. I'm assuming that any candidate for SBC president will be a true believer, and a cut above average in the theological and leadership areas.

Further, by definition, an election for any office divides people. And don't a lot of people you know trumpet that one of the Baptist strengths is its diversity?

Even so, we Cals, non-Cals, dispys, a-mils, Landmarkers, anti-Landmarkers, and every other kind of Southern Baptist manage every year get together to send out more missionaries than any other religious group.

We're not perfect, we squabble, and sometimes we embarrass ourselves. What some folks see as division is simply Southern Baptists acting normally.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but he's not the "master theologian" :laugh:

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Al Mohler would make a fine president of the Southern Baptist Convention. Maybe he could work to undo the damaging work done by the bean counter Bobby Welch.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Not to start an argument or anything, but many non-Calvinists are not exactly humble. I believe it was Dr. Ergun Caner, who has spoken at the SBC more than once, who declared that Calvinism was a cancer, that Calvinists were more dangerous than terrorists, and that Calvinists were not welcome at Liberty. It was the late Jerry Falwell who proclaimed Calvinism to be heresy just one month before he died and around one year after he proudly welcomed D. James Kennedy to speak at Liberty. Maybe Dr. Caner and Falwell were not aware that Dr. Kennedy, being a Presbyterian, was a Calvinist. Maybe they were also not aware of the Calvinist students, faculty, and staff at Liberty University. We could also examine the statements of Jerry Vines and others to find that non-Calvinists are not exactly cornering the market on humility.

It would be my prayer that the non-Calvinists and Calvinists within the Southern Baptist Convention could learn to get along with each other (despite their differences). Debates are good, fights are not. I can only pray that the leadership, on both sides, will show spiritual maturity when it comes to this issue. I would point people to the debate/discussion held at the Southen Baptist Convention in Greensboro between Drs. Paige Patterson and Al Mohler. They both showed spiritual maturity and an ability to disagree in a friendly manner. We need more of that and less of the other.

==Not a bad idea at all. I had not even realized that he had only been president for one term. I can't keep up with these things like I once did.

#19 Martin, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  20. PastorSBC1303

I do not think Page can be nominated again, he has served his 2 years. He was elected in Greensboro 2006.