1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alaska AG: State employees won't honor subpoenas

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PALIN_TROOPERGATE?SITE=MIDTN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for them. Democrats think that if they start an investigation about nothing and issue subpoena's that somehow validates their false charges. This is a Democratic political witch hunt and is shameful the governor can fire anyone for any reason.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought you are a law and order man. Where is your respect for the law? Now these people are really in a bind, decide whether to be in contempt of the law, or fired for being disloyal to Palin by honoring the court order.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Just because some dumbocrat starts an investigation and issues subpoenas doesn't make them legal or legitimate.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks a lot like a fishing expedition.

The AG is going to make them get a license to fish, so to speak.

End of story.

#5 carpro, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Subpoens are legal documents, thus to defy them is to be in contempt of the court. Individuals do not issue subpoenas,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subpoena

A subpoena is not issued by the investigator, it is issued by the court, thus it is always legal. I am surprised you have such little respect for the law.

#6 Crabtownboy, Sep 17, 2008
  7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You give a general definition. Not impressive. You are intentionally misrepresenting my position. You need to correct yourself so as not to bear false witness.

"This is an untenable position for our clients because the governor has so strongly stated that the subpoenas issued by your committee are of questionable validity," Colberg wrote.

#7 Revmitchell, Sep 17, 2008
  8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course the governor would say this, the investigation is about her. But she has no legal grounds to stand on in this case. She is simply sending a message, "You'd better show your loyality by standing with me and being in contempt of court or you will be fired. Remember what happened to others who were not loyal."

It is the governor who has placed them in this untenable position. Another example of her having a temperment unfit for being VP.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now address your misrepresentation of my position. You need to correct this.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And of course a Democrat is going to issue false subpoenas they are desperate.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The words 'false subpoena' is an oxymoron. It is impossible. The Democrat did not issue the subpoenas. He requested them and the court approved them, making them legal documents. Palin has placed state employees in an impossible position. This shows she has no respect for the law ... as was already indicated by other actions she has taken in the past. This is beginning to sound very much like the defense Nixon tried to use. It didn't work then and will not work now.

I am still surprised that you have so little respect for the law.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You continue to lie about me which shows your own personal desperation during this election cycle. Have you ever heard of false arrest, illegal search, do you support the patriot act or do you see it as unconstitutional?

The judge can be wrong and just as partisan in this election cycle as anyone else. The 9th circuit court of appeals is a good example of that. The most overturned court in history.

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is lieing. You are the one who says they should defy the law. The supoena is a legal court order to appear and testify. A supoena cannot be illegal. The reasons for its being issued can be qustioned, but the document itself is legal and an order. For you to argue otherwise either shows a complege lack of respect for the law or ignorance of law and supoenas.

You are displaying a typical fundamentalist and so called conservative attitude. Obey the law when it fits my idea of the world. If it does not fit what I preach it is wrong and should not be obeyed. This is a very unethical position to take.

Desperate? Not at all. McCain is out out to destroy America. Obama is not out to destroy America. We will survive either. I am not sure we can survive Palin, who is more of a G. Bush than G. Bush is. If McCain is elected I pray that he survive his term in office. We should pray for the welfare of any person elected.

Regardless of whether the judge is right or wrong, whether he/she issued the supoenas for the right or wrong reasons is beside the point. The subpoena is a legal document and to refuse to honor it is to be in contempt ... and shows a lack of respect for the law.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thanks for proving my point.

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An another cow flew by.

16. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

You're wrong about these subpoenas. They are not issued by a court, they are issued by a legislative committee. And in this case, and in the case of the U.S. Congress, the one conducting an investigation does issue their own subpoenas.

In this case, the reasons for the commissioner's firing are very well documented. I don't know what the law is in Alaska. For the U.S. Congress, they can charge you with contempt of congress for ignoring a subpoena. Don't know if Alaska has that law or not. Apparently the Alaska AG doesn't seem too worried about contempt charges.

But there is no court involved here, just more of the same typical democrat politics - throw everything you can find against the wall and see if anything sticks.

17. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gpreacher, Thank you for your addition to this thread. I appreciate your correction. It should be interesting to watch as this whole think unfolds.

Howeve it is not just Democrats who voted for the investigation.
    http://news.lp.findlaw.com/ap_stories/a/p/1131/09-16-2008/20080916035010_16.html

As you see that 8 Republicans voted for the investigation and only four Democrats. So to say that it is a Democratic smear tactic is not quite right. The investigative council is made up of 10 Republicians and 4 Democrats ... so I do not see how you can day it is ... as in your words.
    If there is nothing there why is she fighting it so? Why is the McCain campaign trying to kill it? Seems to be a lot of smoke here and you know the old saying, "Where there is smoke there ................................"

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no smoke. Investigations can be a distraction even when baseless. And false subpoenas should always be ignored.

This information alone makes any subpoena baseless.

Clearly the motivation by the Dems is without doubt.

19. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm, them Dems are tough ... convinced twice their number of Republicians to vote to investigate Palin.

Rev, you are really a closet liberal on quite a number of issues. Liberal in the sense you like to damn others about.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And he continues to make my point. This election cycle is making libs desperate.