1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alaska Bible College.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Wanderer, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

After receiving some very good and sound advise that helped me to do some research. I thought I would start a new post.

My old post: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=41516&page=2

Anyways I found two places in Alaska that offer programs that I'm interested in.

1. http://www.alaskabible.org

And

2. http://www.akbible.edu

I have been praying about moving back to Alaska for a long time now. I had an opportunity back in late April, sadly my Pastor thought it was a bad idea. He said I could get hurt up there, well I can get hurt anywhere. I had a great job offer with my old employer in Denali National Part as transportation manager with great pay and benefits.

Maybe this will be my second opportunity, of course it's something I need to pray about and be patient with. I have always had a strong calling for Alaska, I love it there.

However I thought I would share this with you guys hoping some of you may have any information about these schools. Or even opinions would be nice. Later this evening I will be calling the second one for information.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wanderer,

Your pastor is not your overlord. I think you need to get away.
    He's taking an interest in your life and career, but maybe too much.

You need to get AWAY! I had a martial arts teacher I had that I looked
    up to when I was a teenager. He meant well, but he told me what to do
    waaaay too much.

Life got better when I stopped being around him. People mean well, but
    they can certainly be overbearing.

You mentioned going "back" to Alaska. Maybe you have relatives there that
    will let you crash in the basement while you help around the house and work
    and go to school.

I'll be praying for you.

Brian

3. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

In my pastors defense he did invest time into taking me down to hac and then three weeks later I told him I had a summer contracted job offer, I'm sure he was afraid that I may not come back. Though I did tell him that I would surely be back since it was a seasonal contracted job and that I am fully committed to attending school. That was an answer to my prayers and I missed it.

However I did call the second school and I am impressed so far. They are sending me my requested information.

Though the first school has some unique hand on education I would like to take advantage of. Perhaps I'll go to one then the other.

4. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

I'm going to offer some words that will probably leave me shunned by many in the forum.

I say follow your heart. You are at an age where you can make a mistake and recover very nicely if it turns out to be the case. But spending years regretting what might've been can be even tougher to rise above.

As for the schools mentioned, I have nothing. But God bless you in your decisions.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==What? You did not go because your pastor thought you could get hurt in Alaska? I think there is something wrong about your pastor's control over your life (no offense). I am concerned when I read that your pastor seems to be making basic decisions for you (where you will live, attend school, etc). I don't know the whole situation with you and your pastor, and maybe he has the best of motives and would see things in a different light, but it just seems like he has too much control.

If you have a chance to improve your career, and at the same time move to a nice place like Alaska, you should do it. Of course, do so prayerfully and carefully, but you should take that chance seriously. In the modern day you can attend seminary from any location. You can choose from a school in Alaska or you can work through Liberty or Luther Rice. Either way you should make these decisions yourself and not allow your pastor to guilt you into doing what he wants you to do.

#5 Martin, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2007