1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alcohol in cooking/baking

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Debby in Philly, Dec 15, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alcohol in cooking? Not being legalistic, I think it's chicken feed stuff, & don't worry about it. However, if any of YOU do, I won't fault your choice.

2. Christianbsw

Christianbsw New Member

Thanks for not faulting me. There are some fabulous recipes that require alcohol. My favorite is Cherries Jubilee.
    Also, many cultural foods from around the world will include some type of fermented liquid for cooking. French is a major player. If you are avoiding this, be very careful when you go on foreign missions.
    Best wishes.

3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cook with brandies and liquors...and yes, the alcohol does cook off and just leave the flavor.
    I also believe that overindulgence in ANYTHING is the sin. The sin is NOT CONTROLLING YOUR DESIRES.

I have a weight problem, and my overindulgence in food is my sin and my shame. NOT the occasional cherry brandy in a dessert. The dessert itself is not evil; it is what I DO with it that is evil!

Debbie C

4. Christianbsw

Christianbsw New Member

Thank you for your honesty, Debbie. You are absolutely right. It is what you do with it that matters. I do not keep liquors in the home these days but would not hesitate to consider it if I were out to dinner.

5. APuritanMindset

APuritanMindset New Member

I see no problem with alcohol in moderation or used in cooking. I won't drink because I work at a church and I don't want someone from the church to see me and justify their actions. I also promised the students that I teach that I wouldn't drink. It's not a matter of my witness, but a matter of causing someone else to fall into sin. I don't wanna be the one who does that.

My personal convictions are that in moderation it's ok. And used in cooking, the alcohol cooks out and all that's left is flavor stuff.

What people think of me doesn't matter because I believe that if God wants to save an individual using me, He will. God is sovereign over the salvation of souls. Because of that, as Job says,

"I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. (Job 42:2 NASB)

God will use me if and when He wants to use me despite what stupid things I may do. Afterall, aren't all Christians simul justus et pecator (both saint and sinner at the same time)?

I'm not bound by man-made rules anymore. Paul says,

If you died with Christ to the elemental forces of this world, why do you live as if you still belonged to the world? Why do you submit to regulations: "Don't handle, don't taste, don't touch"? All these regulations refer to what is destroyed by being used up; they are human commands and doctrines. (Colossians 2:20-22 HCSB)

My point is, I think it's ok. But I am not bound by an attitude that says, "A Christian doesn't _______________!" I am to follow Christ and His example and live a holy life. I'm not supposed to run around getting wasted and having sex with random women...that's Bible (as the Proverb quoted in an above post said). But having a glass of wine with dinner or making some beer bread is not condemned in Scripture. If Scripture is sufficient, than what rules people make up, even what rules the church makes up, are only valid if Scripture fully and unquestionably supports them.

6. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

This whole conversation has made me sick. Pass the Nyquil.

7. Christianbsw

Christianbsw New Member

OK. Perhaps give your eyes a rest? Hope you feel better.