1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Baptist4life, Sep 20, 2009.

?
  1. 1. I see no problem with alcohol

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. 2. Alcohol is OK, just know your limit

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. 3. I like a drink now and then

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. 4. I don't think a Christian should drink outside their home

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. 5. I don't believe a Christian should drink alcohol

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  6. 6. Drinking alcohol is a sin

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alcohol is a mind altering drug. After you consume too much you lose the capacity to make proper decisions. I believe you can consume too much BEFORE you realize that you have. Such is the nature of the drug. How can that be something a Christian would want to be involved with?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Almost Left Crying at the Altar: Quentin Letts Investigates What's in the Chalice"

Telegraph March 30, 2002

""[Rev] Gillean Craig has known parishes where each week a different parishioner brings along the wine. Only a little is needed for the service; the rest is knocked back afterwards by the congregation.
    Last, spare a thought for the priests who must drain the chalice. At a parish service, there is seldom more than a mouthful or two of unused wine, but at big cathedral masses, it is far harder to judge the amount. As the Rev Craig puts it, "The clergy can be faced with the prospect of having to drink literally pints of the stuff.""

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why must it be drunk? Why couldn't they pour it down the drain or save it for the following week?? I don't understand.

4. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholics! :laugh:

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I got this from a Catholic web site

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

THAT'S right! I forgot about that. Don't want to pour Jesus down the drain or make Him sit and wait until next week. So instead the priests must get drunk in order to deal with it properly.

??????????????????????????????????????????

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The bottom line is that scripture permits alcoholic beverage consumption. It does not permit drunkenness. If scripture permits it, then Christians are permitted to consume it.
    So are sugar and caffiene.
    Then don't consume too much.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holy Tipple May Take Priests Over Limit

Guardian Nov. 3, 2007

"The shortage of priests has resulted in those who are currently ministering having to say multiple masses, and often drive from church to church to do so, having drunk from the chalice in each church," he said.
    Father D'Arcy, who hosts a radio show on BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Radio 2, said there may be enough alcohol in a priest's bloodstream to fail a drink-driving test."

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Given that the the wine in Catholic communion is diluted with water, and given that the amount left over is usualyl very little, this is highly unlikely.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An over consumption of carbohydrates is mind altering.
    Many enzymes and amino acids (e.g. tryptophan) in nature are mind altering without taking "too much".

Even the agaricus button mushrooms you purchase in the grocery can be mind altering. Fungi do not have to be the psylocibe variety to be mind altering.

Too much or too little of any necessary substance (or activity like sleep) can cause mind alteration.

Fasting is mind altering.

Coffee is mind altering.

Mind alteration is not the scriptural issue.
    The issue is the Scripture which was quoted a few posts above.
    It's not what you consume, it's the heart and mind that motivates you to consume.

There are other scriptural parameters:

1 Corinthians 10
    29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?
    30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?
    31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
    32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:​

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.​

Suppose you were a missionary to a moslem country or to an Islamic community in America.​

Pork is not evil in and of itself but you would be much more effective if you did not use your liberty to eat swine flesh.​

We have a moslem family with which we are friends.​

One year we invited them over for our Christmas Day dinner. They were somewhat reluctant until we assured them that we were having turkey and no pork anywhere in the meal. Also they had to leave at a certain time to get home for their prayers so we arranged the meal according to their schedule.​

They came and we had a good time and explained to them what Christmas was really all about (the commemoration of the birth of Christ). The woman was moved to tears that we had accommodated them.​

It's the same principle as to alcohol, tobacco, coffee, etc...​

It makes a difference if we use our liberty wisely.​

HankD​

#50 HankD, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll drink to that !!:tongue3: ( a, b, z, g, e, f, d...)

12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm just guessing but maybe it can be passed around a bit so the Priest doesnt have to get blitzed. Don't really know but that seems a safer solution.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

To reiterate my previous post: given that the the wine in Catholic communion is diluted with water (a ritual which symbolizes the water mixed with blood during the crucifixion), and given that the amount left over is usually very little (less than a cup), the possibility of intoxation occurring is highly unlikely.
    [​IMG]

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Embattled Evangelist Charged With DUI
    CBS 7 Spartanburg Aug. 12, 2008

"“I have a heart condition called atrial fibrillation,“ said Crews in a phone interview. “I have found that the only way I can control it is by drinking a little alcohol.“
    Crews says he drank “less than a half a bottle” of wine and put the empty bottle in his car before getting behind the wheel.
    “I wasn’t drunk,“ says Crews. “I didn’t drink enough to make me drunk.“
    Two days after the DUI arrest, Crews was arrested at his Inman home on a charge of criminal domestic violence. An incident report from the Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office states that Crews came home intoxicated and got into an argument with his wife. In the report, his wife states that he became enraged and threatened her, making her “fear for her safety” so she grabbed a pistol and locked herself in a bathroom. She called a relative who called 911. Later she told the deputy that Crews has hit her in the past but she has never reported it."

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Between that story and this thread, it's self evident that Baptists can't hold their liquor :eek:

16. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also apparent that you like to drink! :laugh:

Also, listing sugar as a mind altering drug in the same category as alcohol is ridiculous. You ever been pulled over for eating too much chocolate cake? Ever wake up some morning, and not remember how you got where you are, from eating too many Snickers bars? You aren't gonna ever convince me that "playing with fire" is a good thing.

#56 Baptist4life, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
  17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, Jesus "played with fire" by creating it from water...and the Lord of Host will be serving it. I wouldn't dare call it a bad thing :eek:

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

.....except we do have to eat! We do not have to drink alcoholic beverages.

I also don't know anyone injured or killed by an overeater driving (unless they were eating while driving and not paying attention and thus the cause would really be the inattention), but thousands are injured and killed by drivers who drank before driving. They do not even have to be drunk to have a loss of attention - just a little amount of alcohol does this.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ......just a little humor.....

Agreed, but it can become an issue; (Any man who drinks is apt to take unexpected drunk.....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVG4XAFJZZY

Another good point Hank.