1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thomas Helwys, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Rev... while I don't condone unnecessarily harsh tonality and I am personally guilty of being unnecessarily harsh (even rude) sometimes...I truly understand where Luke is coming from.

Honestly, I understand where he is coming from.
    To some extent, it's merely a personallity issue:
    To some extent, it's a facet of personal experience
    To some extent...it's also the frustration of a truly intelligent and educated man who CONSTANTLY is required to act as though the statements of the incurrably stupid are meritorious.....they aren't...and it's problematic for some who are dedicated to truth-claims...

Luke cares about truth.
    Luke believes that it is almost treasonous (in a way) as though he feels like he is not "earnestly contending for the faith" to pretend as though the repeated false, un-Scriptural, and ill-informed (stupid in modern parlance) statements are to be treated as though they are EQUALLY as deserving of consideration and merit as a more reasoned or educated one is....

ALL POSTERS ARE NOT EQUAL

Some are brilliant and insightful...most are hit and miss..
    some are incurrably ignorant and stupid.

Cut him SOME slack....
    He may be a little harsh...but, honestly...that's because what he is fighting is the constant temptation to scream about how moronic he thinks so many posters are, and ironically, it is often the most ill-informed posters who are simultaneously the most indignant, superior, insulting, dogmatic and insufferably un-teachable....

While a brotherly encouragement towards civility may be in order....remember to remind him in such a way as to not emulate those facets which you also personally find objectionable....I know I am guilty of much in-civility here sometimes too...and I am taught by the grace and forebearance often shown towards me when I err on that level.

#281 HeirofSalvation, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I quite literally could not have said it better.

I tried in another thread to express why I do what I do- but this statement is better.

I appreciate it. I know it will not win you political points here.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What do you think the context is that would prohibit you from following this command in our society?
    The weaker brother in that context was the one, that by eating meat associated with idolatry, may tempt him to go back into idolatry. Why would the stronger brother tempt his weaker brother to such a degree that he might fall or stumble in his Christian life and be influenced by idolatry once again?

In the same way why would one drink an alcoholic beverage in the presence of one with an alcoholic background, perhaps a former alcoholic, a recovering alcoholic, one struggling with it, if it would only cause him to stumble. The problem is: in public you often don't know who has those kind of problems and who does not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.