1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thomas Helwys, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

2. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

So if you go to a restaurant that sells beer, or a convenience or grocery store that sells beer, then the same would apply. No offense, but that is ridiculous. That would be like buying ammo supports the ammo stores and keeps the murderers in business.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It's EXTREMELY simple.

He doesn't get drunk.
    Hello?

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, but they never accused him of sprouting wings and doing flying somersaults over the Temple- because there was no BASIS for it.

It does not make a lick of sense for them to accuse him of being a drunkard if he NEVER EVER TOUCHED the stuff!!

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, I do not drink. However, as with most of your positions, you are way off base. The Bible does not teach abstinence. Another point that needs to be made for your type of mindset is, if someone else drinks, another Christian especially, and is not getting drunk as Luke describes, then it is really none of your concern or business. You should keep your two foot Pharisee nose out of it.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am on your side on this issue. I thought the comparison of pie and alcohol was beyond logic. See my comment above to Zaac. You are correct, the sins of gluttony and gossip are rampant in our churches and we do not address them, while condemning a non sin ad nauseum.

#46 saturneptune, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like someone who takes one of the more potent painkillers for a bad back has the appearance of a drug addict?

8. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I understood the point she was trying to make, even if it was a stretch. :)

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good reason to never be a southern Baptist...thanks & will add that to my list.:thumbsup:

10. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Amen!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last time I was "drunk" was in 1970. Two years before I came to know the Lord. Abstained from then on..., until.

About three years ago I fell victim to food poisoning from a restaurant in upstate New York. About every two months since then, I was subjected to some of the worst bouts of diarrhea straight from the pits of hell!!!

Unbelievable!

At work one day I was attempting to prevent another embarrassing situation when 1 Timothy 5:23 came to mind. One the way home I stopped and bought a pint of whiskey, went home and gagged down one ounce. I could instantly feel my stomach began to react. I continued this practice.., one ounce a night until the pint was gone.

Since then I've had no problems.

"Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."

So, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

12. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

You cannot compare the two. Guns or ammo don't kill, criminals do. On the other hand, alcohol does kill because it has a influence on your reasoning.

#52 salzer mtn, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  13. salzer mtn

I know of people that whiskey had the opposite affect on their bowls. You can buy good over the counter medicine for diarrahea or go to the doctor and he will give you a persciption.

14. salzer mtn

I said nothing about witnessing to them about alcohol. Ann i challange you or the other posters that agree with you to go out on the streets and witness to the lost and while doing so, carry around a can of beer and take pulls off of it. See if the lost will take you serious, they will either stare at you like your nuts, or make fun of you or cuss you out.

15. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can buy good over the counter medicine for diarrahea or go to the doctor and he will give you a persciption.
    Been there and done that. Some of those food born viruses are almost impossible to control and yes, not everything works the same for everyone.

Notice though that I did not recommend this practice in my posting. I only provided what worked for me as I felt the Lord provided me with the Scripture that day while at work.

Yes, alcohol can affect everyone differently.

16. salzer mtn

I was talking to a christian man a few years back, he was at one time a member of the beer drinking crowd i mentioned in my other post. He told me the reason he quit drinking was because, one time he was in the house drinking on his beer when some unsaved men pulled up in his drive way to come visit with him. He went out side and as they were all standing in the yard talking his four year old son came out of the house carrying the unfinished beer and said dad, you forgot your beer. The christian man told me, if there had been a big hole in the ground he would have jumped in it, he felt so low. For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was anything kept secret, but that it should come abroad, Mark 4:22. For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known, Matt 10:26.

17. salzer mtn

It is hard for me to believe it was the Holy Spirit that whispered in your ear that day to go buy a pint of whiskey, knowing you were a recovering alcoholic. Try buttermilk the next time, it works.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Must of been a very cheap beer for him to have been so ashamed.

Last night I took a glass of black berry brandy after my supper meal because I have a bad cold...it soothed my throat and helped me to sleep... just another of His many gifts to his children. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. :godisgood:

19. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Funny how Catholics, Anglicans, and Lutherans don't seem to have a problem with moderate drinking the way some evangelicals do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.