1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thomas Helwys, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is hard for me to believe it was the Holy Spirit that whispered in your ear that day to go buy a pint of whiskey, knowing you were a recovering alcoholic. Try buttermilk the next time, it works.

A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC???

You gotta be kidding!! In my wild days I never had a problem with alcohol. Was never addicted to it in any manner, shape or form. I just found myself liquored up on occasion especially while in the military.

Alcoholic? Never. Never implied I was.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac never answers direct questions so I'll answer it for you. No, it was not grape juice. If it were only grape juice Titus 1:7, 1 Tim. 3:3, and 1 Tim 3:8 would not be in the Bible. Why should a church leader and/or deacons be admonished to "not be given to much wine" if it didn't contain alcohol?

If it were only grape juice the guests at the wedding of Cana could not be "well drunk".

So wine in the Bible contains alcohol in varying amounts, but typically less alcohol than we have in wine nowadays.

#62 InTheLight, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  3. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

This is what i've learned so far since i joined this board. It's perfectly ok to dress as you please, and less is better if you go for comfort. It's ok to play and sing rock & roll music, it's ok to drink alcohol because we cannot find scripture to keep us from it. So what i visualize is some one coming down the road with guitar in hand, going to witness to a lost person, playing rock & roll music, dressed in next to nothing, and stopping ever so often just to take a swig out of his pint of whiskey. LOL

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Scripture doesn't say what He came drinking. However, being the sinless God that He is, He wouldn't have done anything that would have caused another to stumble. That alone says to me that Jesus probably wouldn't have drunk anything alcoholic then anymore than Christians should drink alcohol today, and for the same reason: it would give the appearance that He got drunk.

And as Scripture says that wine is not for Kings, Proverbs 31:4. SO why would the King of Kings drink that which HIS word say is not for Kings?

God does not author confusion.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Source for this outlandish claim?
    Music in itself is moral? Bible for that?
    The silliest thing Ive read on this thread. Its ok because God says its ok, what He says is not ok is to get drunk. Is Deuteronomy 14:26 not in your Bible?
    That's usually what the legalist visualizes.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right!

1 Tim 3:8 Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine,

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you serious?! His entire ministry was designed to make them stumble.
    Start at false presuppositions and you arrive at false conclusions.

Of course He doesn't, and He also doesn't author legalism and ripping Scripture from context.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

9. salzer mtn

Go to the locked thread about how people should dress.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yes I'm serious. Generally when the people of God speak of stumbling, it is reference to something someone else did causing another to SIN. Jesus has not caused anyone to sin.

Now heed your own warning.

That's why the context shows He didn't drink alcoholic wine or produce alcoholic wine.:thumbsup: Glad we're in agreement.

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Doesn't at all sound like those peculiar people the word says God's people are supposed to be.

Oddly enough, the lot on this board and in Christendom, tend to skew toward the very same activities that make them look just like a lost world.

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

also..."appearance of evil" most likely should be represented as "Form of evil" as in "kind of evil".

BECAUSE...it is impossible to avoid all appearance of evil...Jesus himself was accused of evil...If I pay for my prescriptions at the back of the drug store and then walk past the counter at the front without paying, it could appear as evil.

This verse definitely DOES NOT MEAN: "Avoid doing anything that anyone anywhere could possibly think looks like something that could be evil." (if that were the case, in my old church, I would have to only preach in a white shirt, not a blue shirt...seriously).

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

These .legalistic views make me stumble, now what? I bet Jesus was accused of being a drunk for drinking water...and He was the only Jew living to not partake of passover too, right? :rolleyes:

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

In the context of what GOD says is evil, why would it not mean "avoid all appearance of evil"? And I'm specifically talking about giving the appearance that you're doing something that GOD says is sinful, not that which other folks think to be sinful.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Then take it up with Jesus. It's His legalistic word with which you seemingly have a problem.

One is left to wonder, why given all the ills and evils associated with alcohol consumption, why those who are supposed to be peculiar and set apart always seem to be looking for a way to justify doing that which makes them look just like that which is lost and perishing?

17. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Nor incongruent silliness.

18. salzer mtn

Mark 15:22-23 And they bring him unto the place Golgotha, which is, being interpretated, The place of the skull. And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but he recieved it not.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Call it what you will. But the only way to be right about what God says is to say what He says. And at no time in Scripture, no matter how much bibbers want to make it so, does God's word ever say that Jesus drank wine.

Anytime confusion is authored, it's because men choose to insert their opinions instead of going with what Scripture says.

20. 12strings

12strings Active Member

A jar full of sour wine stood there, so they put a sponge full of the sour wine on a hyssop branch and held it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (John 19:24)

Confusing, isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.