1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thomas Helwys, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take it you've never read Isaiah 25:6? The Lord is going to serve us aged wine:

And in this mountain
    The Lord of hosts will make for all people
    A feast of choice pieces,
    A feast of wines on the lees,
    Of fat things full of marrow,
    Of well-refined wines on the lees. [KJV]

On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare
    a feast of rich food for all peoples,
    a banquet of aged wine—
    the best of meats and the finest of wines. [NIV]

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I actually don't drink alchohol at all, but I was quoting scripture...here I'll give it again:

Deut. 14:26 - And spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

God encourages them to buy BOTH wine & strong drink, along with some meat, and to eat & rejoice.

As soon as you provide ANY scripture that tells me this in any way a sin, I will stop immediately.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would tend to agree with your DEDUCTION. But it is just that...deducing what Jesus' wine was from the context of what was said about OTHER wine.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. I never had a problem with alcohol before and would be more than happy to partake again sometime if we are released from our particular ministry.

I LOVE rock and roll music!! When I'm cleaning the house, I usually put on 80s alternative music on Pandora and have found not one song that I don't remember and sing along. When the kids are homeschooling and I want them to concentrate, I put on classical and when I just want to relax myself, I put on some jazz. Old hymns are great as well and I have a wonderful set of CDs that are hymn music done on handmade harps by these two young Mennonite girls. I have a wide taste in music and still love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. :)

5. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Could it be that all the scripture that pertain to drinking wine was because the water was so bad over in that country?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nope. Sure didn't.

I didn't say that He changed it to non-alcoholic wine. I essentially said that it wouldn't make sense for Jesus to say to not get drunk and then produce that which makes people drunk.

I would venture that He produced grape juice, unfermented good BIBLICAL wine. But Scripture does not say.

That's why the whole of Scripture is taken into account. Which one causes conflict with something else that God says?

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have posted two verses that definitely refer to fermented drink (and 12Strings has posted others as well):

Numbers 28:7-8 God will accept an drink offering of fermented wine.
    Isaiah 25:6 God will serve us fermented wine at a great feast.

yet none of the teetotalers addresses these verses. Why is that?

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

THE MAIN POINT IS YOU ARE CALLING SOMETHING A SIN THAT GOD DOES NOT CALL A SIN. Something, in fact that God says can be used "before the Lord" and something we can "rejoice" in.

Care to explain? are you saying...

1. ...You did not not say drinking alcohol is a sin? (If not, you have definitely implied it)

2. ...You argue that it is a sin, but also believe God has stated that it is a sin? (and if so, what is your biblical reason?)

3. ...Nope God didn't say we can rejoice in it?

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

It certainly "Could be" part of the reason there was lots of wine...but scripture doesn't say... It "Could be" that the reason God forbade shellfish was because it was fatty...we simply don't know, and so it does no good to speculate.

(EDIT: BY the way, I notice you missed my post #102)

#109 12strings, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nope. I don't imply things that I'm perfectly capable of saying. If I intend to say it, that's generally what you'll read.:laugh:

I argue that what is a sin?

11. salzer mtn

I found this article about water

Because the scarcity of water in palestine, it is much appreciated there. For it's people absence of water is very serious ( 1 Kings17:1ff; Jer14:3; Joel 1 :20), and rain is a sign of Gods favor. The rivers of Palestine are mostly small and have little water in summer. Consequently it depends upon rain for it's source of water. This supplies springs and fountains, Cisterns are a necessity for the storing of water, and this if stored to long becomes filthy and a menace to health. In the summer there is no rain, so that vegitation is dependent upon heavy dew. Wells and pools, although comparatively scarce, are often mentioned in the bible (Gen 21:19, 24:11 John 4:6; 9:7) This proves to me that in that day they had little choice but to drink something because of the shortage of water.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So because there was bad water, God told people to sin?

13. salzer mtn

On television sometime they put on a advertisement recordings called rocking to the oldies. I find that listing to this kind of music of the 50's and 60's takes me back to when i was a rebellious teen, because you can relate music and lyrics to the sins you committed in your youth. If a person is not careful a desire will arise in your heart for the days of youth and wildness associated with your favorite tunes of yester year. Not only a desire of looking back but a since of fleshly pride fills your heart of remembering how good looking, or masculine, or tough you used to be. All of this is vain glory that fills ones heart as he listens to music that was designed to put ones mind back into the world.

14. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

That's very interesting. I've honestly never notice that contradiction before. I'll have to study it further.

15. salzer mtn

Did i say God told people to sin ? You refuse to consider the water issue because you might be wrong, and that won't do at all.

16. salzer mtn

The bible says vinegar not sour wine.

17. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do we know as fact that the climate in Biblical days was as it is now? When the Israelites came to the land after leaving Egypt, it is mentioned as a land flowing with milk and honey. If it was a verdant land, it would be reasonable to assume that there was adequate water.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, then for you it is a sin but it is not for everyone else. When I listen to the 50s and 60s music, it was from before my time and I am able to enjoy the music for what it is - some good and some bad. I enjoy the 80s music because that was when I was a young adult, married and remember a lot of my life. I wasn't rebellious, married young (to a musician no less) and just enjoy the 80s music for what is is - some good and some bad. Today I'm mostly in to the worship stuff. But I still enjoy going back to enjoy the music of some of the old bands because - they were just good. It doesn't bring me back to "fleshly pride" - just a joyfulness. :)

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know what many vinegars are made of?

I remember my mother opening a bottle of wine and saying "Ewwww!! This is vinegar!" and tossing it. ;)

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where do I refuse to consider the water issue? Yes, I've heard the argument that they needed wine because of the water situation but that doesn't say too much to me in the "don't drink" argument. If it's a sin, it's a sin.

I've also heard the argument that Biblical wine was very watered down and I don't quite believe that. Yes, it was possibly a lesser alcohol content but people still got drunk on it so it definitely had alcohol and it seems like those who are against it are against even a drop so that argument don't fly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.