1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All Baptists Are Republicans!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Carolyn Dee, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

The other day at my Baptist church, my husband noticed that a fellow member had a Democrat "John Kerry" sticker on his van and uttered a snide raspberry. That got me to thinking (and this subject has probably been beaten on before...). I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I assumed that a very large percentage of Baptists are Republicans! So what about you, if you dare to reveal yourself? To me, Republicans are far more conservative and Christian that Dem-o-crats will ever be. Thoughts?? Comments????? ;) [​IMG]

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I am a Baptist, and I am a Republican.

I am utterly ashamed of the Republican Party in its total abandonment of the abortion fight, and its advocacy of practically every liberal policy that the Democrats come up with. I am especially disenchanted (well, actually I never was enchanted in the first place) with George W. Bush, who is more liberal in practice than was Bill Clinton.

But, I am even more ashamed of the way Baptists will defend practically any politician who has an "R" behind his name regardless of how Godless his agenda may be. In my opinion, a large part of the Christian community (not just Bapitsts) have prostituted their message for the sake of loyalty to the rotting, decaying Republican party.

Sorry if I sound evasive but I don't want to inflame an argument here. :D

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I was a life-long Republican until the Republican party starting moving to the left and abandonded their conservative principles, I left the Republican party in 2000. I now support the Constitution Party.

4. At His Feet

At His Feet New Member

I am a Christian and I am an American. Anyone that lines out with that i will vote for no matter what party they are for.

5. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

This is how all voter's should be!

Blind party loyalty has destroyed our Constitutional Republic.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think it's dangerous, improper, and presumptuous to make judgements about fellow church folks who are not of the same political party that we/I might be. Not to mention, it makes a mockery of the Gospel. The Gospel is about uniting, not dividing. Political partisanship, otoh, by its nature, divides. I would no more distance myself from a Democrat than I would a Yankees fan (well, except for during the World Series, maybe).

C'mon, people. It's bad enough we're being brainwashed to be hyperfearful of ecuminism. Are we now to become hyperfearful of political party affiliation? If that's the case, I'll be happily start the "nunya-bizness" party.

7. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I am an independant. I will vote for the individual who holds the views I do. In Arizona we had a Republican and Democrate running for Gov. they both were pro-abortion. I voted for neither (Put my Wives name in :D ). I will not vote for anyone who in pro--abortion, homosexual agenda, aclu.

Bro Tony

8. At His Feet

At His Feet New Member

i know there are alot of christians who are not fearful about any of ecumenism, or party affiliation. so i guess you are refering to yourself.

my Bible says:

1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

9. At His Feet

At His Feet New Member

Bro Tony, i will vote for anyone that stands for the principles of God. as of yet i have not found anyone that fits that criteria, have you?

10. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Have you checked out Michael Peroutka's site? He is a candidate that stands for the principles of God. http://www.peroutka2004.com

11. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think it's dangerous, improper, and presumptuous to make judgements about fellow church folks who are not of the same political party that we/I might be. Not to mention, it makes a mockery of the Gospel. The Gospel is about uniting, not dividing. Political partisanship, otoh, by its nature, divides. I would no more distance myself from a Democrat than I would a Yankees fan (well, except for during the World Series, maybe).

C'mon, people. It's bad enough we're being brainwashed to be hyperfearful of ecuminism. Are we now to become hyperfearful of political party affiliation? If that's the case, I'll be happily start the "nunya-bizness" party.
    </font>[/QUOTE]you say the gospel is about uniting???????

the Gospel is the power of God to bring sinners to His Son. uniting with ecuminism, and liberal regligionist that vote contrary to biblical principles is a no no. Christians need to seperate from liberal religionist especially after they have recieved the truth and continue to reject it.

12. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

athisfeet,

No I have not, sadly :( I will have to confess that I have at times voted for the one I atleast felt was putting forth a testimony of a genuine believer. Sometimes to be disappointed.

Bro Tony

13. mozier

mozier New Member

G.O.P. = God's Own Party! [​IMG]

14. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Gentlemen,

There is a party and a candidate: The Constitution Party, and Michael Peroutka.

Peroutka says:

"...George Washington said that it is up to us to "raise a standard to which the wise and honest may repair, recognizing that the event is in the hands of God."

And John Quincy Adams wrote, "Duty is ours, consequences are God’s."

I pledge to you I will do my duty.

I urge you to do yours.

I ask for your support and your vote for President

I ask for you to help me honor and acknowledge God in our civil governments.

I ask you to help me defend the God-ordained family.

I ask you to help me restore our Constitutional, Representative Republic.

"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?"

I ask you to help me, with God’s help and Grace, do what the righteous must do -- REBUILD THE FOUNDATIONS.

In 1961, I was eight years old when I heard President John F. Kennedy, in his inaugural address, say "here on earth God’s work must truly be our own."

I will say the same thing in my inaugural address.

I will mean it.

God Bless you and God Bless our American Constitutional Republic."

From the PREAMBLE to the Constitution Party platform:

"We, the members of the Constitution Party, gratefully acknowledge the blessing of the Lord God as Creator, Preserver and Ruler of the Universe and of this Nation. We solemnly declare that the foundation of our political position and moving principle of our political activity is our full submission and unshakable faith in our Savior and Redeemer, our Lord Jesus Christ. We hereby appeal to Him for mercy, aid, comfort, guidance and the protection of His Divine Providence as we work to restore and preserve this Nation as a government of the People, by the People, and for the People..."

15. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

PJ

Thanks for the information, I will check into it from the website provided above.

Bro Tony

16. mozier

mozier New Member

G.O.P. = God's Own Party! [​IMG]

17. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Origin of "GOP"

A favorite of headline writers, GOP dates back to the 1870s and '80s. The abbreviation was cited in a New York Herald story on October 15, 1884; "' The G.O.P. Doomed,' shouted the Boston Post.... The Grand Old Party is in condition to inquire...."

But what GOP stands for has changed with the times. In 1875 there was a citation in the Congressional Record referring to "this gallant old party," and , according to Harper's Weekly, in the Cincinnati Commercial in 1876 to "Grand Old Party."

Perhaps the use of "the G.O.M." for Britain's Prime Minister William E. Gladstone in 1882 as " the Grand Old Man" stimulated the use of GOP in the United States soon after.

In early motorcar days, GOP took on the term "get out and push." During the 1964 presidential campaign, "Go-Party" was used briefly, and during the Nixon Administration, frequent references to the "generation of peace" had happy overtones. In line with moves in the '70s to modernize the party, Republican leaders took to referring to the "grand old party," harkening back to a 1971 speech by President Nixon at the dedication of the Eisenhower Republican Center in Washington, D.C.

Indeed, the "grand old party" is an ironic term, since the Democrat Party was organized some 22 years earlier in 1832.

18. mioque

mioque New Member

None of the baptists in my church would ever seriously consider joining the side of those vile and odious republicans. :mad:
    The very idea. :rolleyes:

In all honesty I ought to mention that the label republican carries a significantly different meaning in a monarchy. ;)

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Alas, I wish it were so. Because I'm involved in my local chapter of "Habitat for Humanity", I've been called a liberal and ecuminist, and that's just by folks on the board. (Habitat for Humanity is a Christian organization that builds housing for the underprivileged, yet financially solvent, which has volunteers from many local churches, temples, and mosques, comprising of Baptists, Methodists, Jews, Catholics, Nazarenes, Calvareans, Lutherans, Presbys, Muslims, and several non-religious people who just want to help).
    Thankfully, my Bible says the same thing, or I would not have the strength to do what He has called me to do via the H for H organization.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Well, since the Bible says that all are one in Christ Jesus, yes. The Gospel is about uniting people in Christ.

I'll stick with my biblical mission, rather than man's "ecuminism, liberal regligionist" litmus test.
    Christians need to love. You do what you're called to do, and I'll do what I'm caled to do. If you don't like what I'm called to do, you're welcome not to follow in my footsteps. But for you to criticize what God calls me to do via politically colored glasses, well, that reminds me of the parable of the Good Samaritan, where the first people passed the man by.