1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All Crossed Up

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by PastorSBC1303, Mar 19, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Good article here...

All Crossed Up

Michael Horton on the Ordinary Ministry That Can’t Corner the Market
    Never mind Paul’s exhortation to Timothy to submit to elders and pastors as official ambassadors of Christ. These days, even in more confessional denominations, it seems that instead of being the Lord’s servant, ambassador, and minister of reconciliation, a pastor is supposed to be the community’s quarterback, class president, or the one voted “most likely to succeed.”
    It used to be that the pastor had an office and worked in his study, but today the pastor has a job and works in his office. Whereas Peter organized the diaconal office so that the apostles could devote themselves to the Word and to prayer, ideal ministers seem increasingly to be managers, therapists, entertainers, and entrepreneurial businesspeople.
    Open up the average issue of Christianity Today to advertisements for pastoral positions and you’ll find descriptions like “team builder,” “warm and personal style,” “outgoing,” “contagious personality,” and “effective communicator.” (Catholic friends tell me that something like this affects Catholicism, too.)
    I think they’re looking for a Director of Sales and Marketing, whom they may (or may not) call “Pastor.” I’m not against directors of sales and marketing; I just don’t think that this is what we should be looking for in the way of shepherds.

For the remainder of the article go here:

All Crossed Up

2. 2serve

2serve New Member

PREACH!!! PREACH!!! Bless God PREACH!!!

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Interesting.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

PastorSBC1303, you forgot "life coach."