1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All Evil is Sin ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Oct 16, 2007.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know that all sin is evil, bu Is all evil sin ?

What about these two verses:

Isaiah 45:7 - I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things

Ecclessiastes 12:1 - Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. It depends a lot on what version of the Bible you use.

2. However, the same Hebrew word rendered evil in a negative sense, is rendered calamity in a positive sense (Amos 3:6; Job 42:11).

3. A better translation at Isaiah 45:7 would be "calamity."

3. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, TC. Calamity makes more sense. Although evil is not necessarily sin, it does have a negative connotation each time.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ok, clarify something for me: What was negative about the calamities the Lord brought on Job? (42:11).

5. OLD SCHOOL

OLD SCHOOL New Member

Sin is: The transgression of the Law.
    Evil is: The deviation from the rules of conduct prescribed by God.
    According to Webter's 1828 Dic.
    Wow. Tuff one.
    That's a hair splitter.

6. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

You have it backwards. All sin is not considered EVIL, wrong yes, but not always is a sin considered EVIL but all EVIL...IS sin. As for the passage Isaiah, a simple search providing a clear exegesis is at your finger tips and would answer your question quickly. But if you DON'T believe you are up to searching for an exegesis, just ask and I will provide it for you.

#6 Alex Quackenbush, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  7. skypair

skypair Active Member

More like God caused all things after the fall to become corrupt so that man would know when he sinned. That's my understanding of it.

skypair

8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand what you're saying.
    When does it happen that a sin is not considered EVIL ? Sin is the transgression of the law.

Not every transgression of the law is sin, and there are transgressions of the law that are good ? I speak in terms of opposites. The opposite of good is evil, and vice versa. If a sin may not always be considered EVIL, then it may be considered good ?

That's amazing. Chapter and verse, please. Like you implied once, I am a theological simpleton, and since you chose to reply, you will have to bear with my asking for: chapter and verse, please.

Oh, well, this theological simpleton wouldn't want to impose too much on your great analytical and systematic theological mind. Thanks for the offer, anyway.

#8 pinoybaptist, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  9. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

I see that. Oh well, you'll survive I am sure. In the mean time the rest of your post indicates no genuine interests in healthy debate, just the need for someone to echo your own thoughts. Next please.

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And healthy debate includes insinuating on the other's level of intelligence, in your book ?

Yeah, next please.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The word "evil" has moral connotations now. Evil used to mean anything unpleasant or foul, such as "an evil odor". Obviously, an odor is not immoral. This is one of those many cases where the KJV will lead you astray if you try to interpret it in terms of today's English.

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I have to strongly disagree with this. I can think of no Bible College or Seminary that would back this statement. I think you will find it hard to support such ideas from the Bible.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which one are you disagreeing with...or both?

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I understood Alex Q.'s phrase, "All sin is not considered EVIL," to mean that there are plenty of sinful things that "the world" does not consider to be evil, but I may have got him wrong.

15. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

I don't think this type of posting helps anybody in anyway. You may theologically be on the same side of the doctrines of grace, but many of your posts lack grace and thrive on sarcasm.
    If you want to further a discussion, refrain from posting words intended to inflame. A gentle answer, even though it is firm, turns away anger. Sarcasm when directed at your opponent doesn't positively contribute to a discussion.
    I have been guilty of this and am working at leaving that stuff out of my posts. It detracts from the discussion. Proverbs says it's like a women tearing down her house when she speaks or acts foolishly to her household.
    I would suggest the same is true of sarcastic posts, they tear down the very thing that you're trying to build, an edifying discussion.
    Hope you take this in the spirit it was intended, to spur you on to love and good works.

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, David, but actually I was referring to his "wrong yes" in the post.
    I think he needed a comma somewhere.

17. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the advice, Isaiah40:28.

And you're right. I am a hothead, and working on that issue.

He got my goat when in a thread I started he said that those who demand chapter and verse everytime are theological simpletons.

Maybe if he happened to be an unbeliever, I would have held back.

But I find it hard to hold back when the insults and insinuations, whether against me or somebody else, come from someone who names the Name of Christ as his own.

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Outta' curiosity, TCGreek, are TCHebrew and TCAramaic a couple of alter egos? :smilewinkgrin: :applause: :laugh:

Or is this maybe from the LXX, actually?

Sorry, just too good an opportunity to let pass, for a coupla' cheap laughs! :D

Ed

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You got me! :laugh:

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Makes a lot of sense, in the first sentence. Makes a lot of hot air in the last sentence! :rolleyes:

But it does answer one question that I have been asking for two years on the BB, on another question. If "all EVIL...IS sin", as you claim, I now have the answer to a question I've asked about repentence, repeatedly. Since so many seem to believe "repent" really means "repent of one('s) sin(s)" (Nevermind the insignificant, miniscule, unimportant, trivial little annoyance that this wording is nowhere to be found in the KJV, NKJV, NASB, RV, ASV, ESV, DARBY, YLT, WYC, or HCSB. "But it sure 'preaches good!' Right??" :rolleyes:), and I have asked the question of "What sins did the LORD God repent of?", since Scripture tells us in the OT that God did or did not repent thirty times (KJV), now I know. BTW, all the following Scriptures are from the KJV,
    Lest one think I am "cherry-picking" the four quoted verses above, let me say that this effective wording is also found in II Sam. 24:16; I Chron. 21:15; Jer. 18:8,10; 26:3, 13, 19; Jonah 3:10 and 4:2, for a total of 13 occasions.

That would be your exegesis, would it not, Alex Quackenbush?? That God repented from sin?? It is consistent with what you posted, anyway.

So while I appreciate your offer to provide exegesis, I believe I will have to pass on your generosity.

Ed