1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All hope is lost

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Servent, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Servent

Servent Member

Has there ever been a time when you thought all hope was lost, before or after Christ.
    For myself I have been in some pretty low spots but have never felt there was no hope, or no reason to go on living.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am not normally a low person, but in the last five years had experienced a very low time to the point that I had to admit I was depressed. That was the start of the return to normal.

Honestly, in saying "all hope was lost"........I know better but sometimes it can be overwhelming.

3. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN! I've suffered from severe depression over 5 years now and this is the best description I've seen. Thank you.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To answer the OP, I just found out today that May 17th will be my last day at work, as my position is being eliminated. My wife lost her job at 34 weeks pregnant, we have two little ones, and I hold the health insurance for the whole family. While I don't think all hope is lost, I am having some panicky moments, and could use your prayers. I know God has it in His hands, but the "natural man" within feels like I'm being abandoned.

5. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :praying:

6. Servent

Servent Member

You will be in my prayers.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What kind of work do you do or are qualified for?

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Dag. I will be praying for you. Been there.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Currently in retail (with the economy, stinks right now). I've done it all in retail, warehouse, management, commission sales, etc. I'm currently on restrictions due to a work place injury (crushed foot resulting in lymphedema in the foot), and the administrative position I was given has been eliminated. Since I'm still on restrictions, I may be able to receive partial salary and vocational rehab from my company's workman's comp insurance company, but my attorney hasn't called back yet.

I am also self employed (investor, REI, company acquisitions) and waiting for a pretty large deal to close (been waiting...see my thread in the prayer forum), but the bills were currently being paid by my current employer along with my medical since my wife was downsized. I know God has something else in store for us, but the human nature tells you to panic.

Thank you for your prayers everyone :)

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Webdog, you are in my prayers, along with the OP. I pray that things work out soon for you and your family.

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying for you and your family, Webdog.

12. nunatak

nunatak New Member

webdog, I understand your post about the economy, I too am in retail. You have my prayers.

13. Darren

Darren New Member

I feel that all hope is fading fast all the time. I'm speaking to the subbect that I see many Christians falling away from the truth. I don't intend to draw up a debate here again, so just keep me in your prayers. I know in the end God will unite the church and every tounge will be silence and all will SEE the truth with their own eyes, but it's just so hard to wait.

Whoever is right, we'll all know in the end, I just keep waiting for that moment, and thinking, 'wouldn't it be great, if on so many things, I were wrong?'. Maybe I am. I hope so.

As a for instance I don't think anyone will take issue with. I wish I were wrong and that hell really is just some idea. But I doubt it. I believe very firmly that it's real, but that doesn't stop me from wishing that it weren't. Course, that just goes to wishing away the evil that created it doesn't it? I hate being right.

My life motto for preaching, "I can tell you the truth. I can almost garantee it. I just can't garantee you're gonna like it".

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I pray that God will bring you, your wife, and your family through these trials, and wil enable you to hold on to your "I know God has it in His hands."

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Web dog, I will keep you in prayer as well.

I had a similar situation happen last year.
    I was so down about losing a new job I had.
    I had just gotten hired and they were only planning to keep a small portion of the people after training.
    It was not my first choice for a job but it was close by and I worked so hard to keep it but I was not even given a chance to start.

I was really down for a few days but then I started to work towards something else and after a little bit of temporary work I found something that paid a whole lot better than I had ever thought I would have.

I finished that project (about 6 months) recently and got a new contract with this company.

IN short, I know how you feel but God is still in charge!

God bless!

16. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

How this thread shows the great unity that there is between us as believers! Yes we argue and debate and disagree, but when it comes down to it, we love one another in the Lord Jesus Christ. We have a hymn (don't know if you sing it where you are) that starts:
    Blest be the tie that binds
    Our hearts in Christian love;
    The fellowship of kindred minds
    Is like to that above.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen! I look forward to the day we can all fellowship in one accord...in ALL subjects. It's a lot closer than we all realize :)

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am truly, truly sorry to hear this, webbie.
    I know how it is.
    I was stupid enough to quit my job three months ago without having anything in the horizon at the time.

It is very hard.
    At least my wife has her job, while yours lost hers.
    I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts, my brother.

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before knowing the TRUE Christ, I have never felt any sense of hopelessness because there was no hope I knew of, anyway. (Although, now that I have had a glimpse of the magnitude of His mercy and of His love, and of the infinity of His knowledge, there has always been hope even for those who do not know Christ in this plane called time but are known by Christ in eternity past. Sorry, folks, what can I say ? i AM an electionist, can you blame me ? :laugh: ).

AFTER Christ ?

Oh, man, the plateaus seemed to be a little flatter, and the mountains a little higher to clim,and the valleys a little more deeper to walk, but how can one feel hopeless when he knows Christ abandoned His throne so that the poor may be rich ?

Sad ? Yes.
    Depressed ? Definitely.
    Angry ? You betcha.

But, hopeless ? Never, my brother, never.

I've been out of a job for three months, my wife's job gives her only 4 days of work every winter to late Spring, we have a car to pay, insurances to cover, food to buy, rent to pay, I am diabetic/hypertensive guzzling 7 pills a day with no health insurance, yet, we wake up everyday knowing that God has something good cooking for us and when He will serve it, He knows.

God is good !!
    God is great !!

20. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I've had long-term chronic depression for 25 years. I would call it moderate because it doesn't compare with the experience of my twin brother who's suffered for longer than that (a lot longer I'd say since 1968) and has been hospitalized 5 times (I think). Alol I can say is that this can be overcome and like all difficult things the Lord puts before us can be a source of evangelism. In my previous church I let everyone know about my experience and invited anyone that was struggling with depression to please come and talk to me.

My brother ended up going to the Southern Baptist Seminary after a career as a Corporate Financial Analyst. He lied about his medical condition on every interview until the one for admittance to the seminary. I believe that depression is that last great example of discrimination in the workplace.