1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

All Scripture is NOT ....

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by All about Grace, May 16, 2005.

1. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Based on some of the comments made in the thread on Paul and Jesus, here are three statements that deserve discussion:

All Scripture is equally inspired.
    All Scripture is NOT equally important.
    Therefore all Scripture is not equally applicable.

My opinion is that these are three TRUE statements.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Invalid syllogism. Your conclusion doesn't flow from your premises.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow - onwhat do you base that as compared to

"All scripture is given my inspiration of God and is profitable for..."?

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Importance or non-importance is a pretty relative qualifier.

I would get rid of the Therefore and simply say

All Scripture is not equally applicable to all situations.

I don't think folks will have a problem with that statement.

5. All about Grace

Actually Golden Dragon & Larry are right.

I did not intend to include the "therefore" in statement three and create a syllogism. It should simply read:

All Scripture is inspired.
    All Scripture is NOT equally important.
    All Scripture is NOT equally applicable.

Now back to the statements. True or False?

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I am going to say false.

Who is the one who decides which Scripture is more important than the other. That the purpose of the particular Scriptures may differ, does not equate to a statement that some Scripture is more important than others. As far as application again I would say that all Scripture is equally applicable to the situation it address. That every Scripture does not address the same issue does not make it less applicable to the issue it addresses.

I find this way of thinking dangerous and very subjective. It leave up to the reader the choice of which Scriptures are important and which they choose to apply. This is very similar to what the "Jesus Seminar" folkes are doing.

Scripture is Scripture it is all God breathed and it is all important and fully applicable to accomplish the purpose of God.

Bro Tony

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

All Scripture is inspired. - True
    All Scripture is NOT equally important. - False
    All Scripture is NOT equally applicable. - False

I don't know how many can decide which part of God's Perfect Word are less important or applicable. Every word has a purpose.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Having taken out the "therefore," I can therefore comment further.

I agree with all three statements, with qualifications.

As for statement two about importance, can we seriously argue that the genealogy of 1 Chronicles is as important as Romans 5? I think we have to say that some is "more important" that others.

As for statement three about applicability, once again, can we not agree that the OT Law is not entirely applicable, regardless of where you fall on the issue of the Law and the Church. I don't think anyone believes we should stone rebellious children, or avoid wearing clothes of mixed materials. Therefore, we have to say that it is not all equally applicable.

But I cringe when I see these kinds of the discussion because they too often become carte blanche for all manner of bad ideas.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That is not to say that All Scripture isn't inspired and profitable. It is ... But not all of it is equally profitable for all people.

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well stated. I agree Pastor Larry.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I feel that every passage is equally important and equally applicable for their intended purposes.

12. All about Grace

A few further observations:

2 Tim 3.16 states that All Scripture is God-breathed. Paul goes on to say that the Word of God serves as the BASIS for what we teach. Obviously all Scripture is equally inspired.

At the same time, it is clear that all Scripture is NOT equally important. For example, Jesus was asked which of the commandments was the greatest. He responded by distinguishing two commands above all the others. Jesus also spoke of the religious leaders focusing on the details of the law at the expense of the greater principle. Obviously Jesus differentiated between the importance of particular texts.

To use a modern illustration ... if you have one opportunity to share a text with a person who is an unbeliever in need of Jesus Christ and you have two verses from which to choose - one that deals with the genealogies & John 3.16 - which verse is more important?

Obviously some truths are more important than others (no less true, but more important nonetheless).

The second step in this issue is applying this reality to the arguments in favor of verse-by-verse preaching as opposed to needs based preaching. But that is another discussion.

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If all scripture is not equally important...then who or what determines if a passage is important and how important? Seems like that premise leaves the door open for a lot of problems on a slippery slope.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I think Roger's point answers that question. "Intended purpose" is a key. EVery passage is equally profitable given its intended purpose. The question is, What purpose does a particular text serve today?

There are "slippery slope" issues to be sure, but we can't make up stuff in order to get everything equal.

15. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Ithink we get into dangerous territory when we as men start deciding which scriptures are important and which are not. What isn't important to one will be important to another making the whole body of scripture relevant and profitable.

16. Watchman

Watchman New Member

The genealogies were important, for the most part, that God preserved the linage of Christ.
    That said, are the genealogies AS relavant to my life, today, as say, John 3 or Romans 8? Well, no.
    But it is true that there are no unimportant scriptures.

17. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Intended purpose is the key. Will a census in the Torah give you an explanation of justification by faith like Romans will? Of course not, but the census was not intended for that.

18. Soulman

Soulman New Member

The genealogies are as relevant as any other scriptures. They support John 3 and Romans 8 by proving the bible to be true. Is John 11:35
    Jesus wept as important as Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Yes because He wept over the people which led to His obedience to the cross. Scripture is all linked as to where we could not do without one verse.

God commands us to leave the scriptures alone regarding their content.

Rev. 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.