1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Alleged Colorado Gunman's Family Stands by Son

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jul 24, 2012.

1. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

That is in the states hand. I'll be praying for his deliverance, and for all hurt that Jesus gives them revelation of the truth to comfort all involved.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think you are confusing two things. One during the time starting with Moses and the law that was handed down Israel was both a religious nation and a secular nation under God at the same time. They were what is called a theocracy. God gave two kinds of commands. One kind was to govern the nation as a people and deal with crimes. The other was to give those who had received God in by faith offered to them by grace, which is the same today, a way to understand how to walk with God.

The latter has never changed as it is still for today. While we are not a theocracy today the standards that God set for government are the standards that keep a government functioning properly and work just a good today as when given if the government will institute them. There is no injustice in any of God's commands whether during the time of Moses or today.
    If you notice in scripture God never called for prison time. The person was always to make restitution or if the crime was of a nature that no restitution was possible they paid with their life. That is God's command. To stand against His ways is to stand against God. God is not against the death penalty in the past or now if carried out by a legal government in accord with His standards.
    Men are not kept from hearing the gospel while waiting to be executed. In fact most hear it more then if not executed. If they die without Christ it is on their own heads just like being put to death is on their own heads.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Prayer is good, but so is standing for justice that God calls for in society. Pray for his soul and seek the justice God calls for through the government.

#23 freeatlast, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  4. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

Concepts of Justice past and present

Selection from Historical development of theories of crime and punishment
    by
    John A. Sterling
    (lawandliberty.org)
    NEW COVENANT
    "The New Covenant, written nearly two thousand years ago, reflects a continuation of the Old Covenant legal principles. The distinction, however, (which is completely lost on many modern-day "theologians") is that the same principles of law which were external before, are internalized through the Spirit of Christ. I Tim 1:7-9 reveals that not only were there people (then, as now) who wished to teach the law but who were ignorant of the principles upon which the law was founded. Further, they delighted in arguing the minutiae while ignoring the broader truth (sounds vaguely familiar). Verse 8 affirms that the purpose of the law is good when it is used lawfully (in accordance with the principles). Verse 9 explains that purpose for the "external" law is to keep rebellious people in check and is completely unnecessary for a "righteous" man. "

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No the NT never says the law is not just. The law of God cannot make a person just, as in their soul, but we are to be a people of laws and the closer they are to how God gave them the better the society.
    Romans 7:12
    Wherefore the law [is] holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Those who want to follow Christ stand for God's law. We just know it cannot save.

#25 freeatlast, Jul 25, 2012
  6. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

I agree. :thumbs:

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Yes we always need to get our understandings from the word rightly dividing the truth.

8. plain_n_simple

So...you'll take a life in Jesus' name....ok, thanks for the input

9. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

We never said that. According to the Scriptures previously quoted "Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evil doers" It is the individual who is in authority that is responsible for executing such punishment. Whether he is Christian or not, I would support him if her were doing so justly.

10. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Punishment meted out on behalf of the state would be more accurate.

Read Amy's post.

#30 Arbo, Jul 25, 2012
  11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes if Jesus says take it that is what we are to do and He is OT Jehovah who gave the death penalty for murder.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

13. plain_n_simple

A cheap label, bad fruit

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

15. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

As an imperfect son of imperfect parents I am glad mine stood by me during my own sinful days. My sons are not perfect either and I stand by them as well.

Standing by someone does not equal condoning their actions. We hold them accountable for their actions while not abandoning them.