1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Allergies anyone

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by SaggyWoman, May 23, 2010.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

How do you deal with what you got?

I take fexofenadine. Helps a bit.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

fexofenadine is the generic form of allegra, isn't it? My inusrance doesn't like it since zyrtec and claritin are sold over the counter now.

At the moment I'm using zyrtec's Walmart generic equivalent AND a nasal spray called Nasacort to keep mine under some semblence of control. It's been a bad year for my allergies!

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The only allergies I have are to all pollens, dog dander, dust mites, mold, ragweed, cheap metals, wool, and doing the dishes. :laugh: Nothing helps--I can't afford anything strong enough to do any good.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strangely enough, I've had allergies to airborne pollens and such for years, but I haven't had any trouble this year.

About three months ago I had a deviated septum repaired (very painful recovery) and now I can breathe very easily. Previously, I was essentially closed off on my left side and nearly closed on my right.

I suspect that my allergy problem was closely related to breathing in irritants and having all of that collect in my sinuses, causing irritation. Now, what goes in apparently goes out again.

5. God's Rainbowgal

God's Rainbowgal New Member

It's not easy

Well I'm allergic to DepakoteXR which was a medicine that I used to take for bipolar. But then to get rid of all the bumps and swollen arms and face I took Benadryl.

Then I'm allergic to strawberries. Mind you I love them and I take risks that nothing will happen if I do eat them. So I see that every once in awhile I am able to eat safely 1 or 2 the most.:thumbsup:

I'm allergic to wool so i don't wear any, sawdust I don't go near, pollen not as bad but just manage naturally with it.

Penicillin, and regular aspirin so yet again don't take it.

You think these are enough by now?:BangHead::laugh:

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I haven't found any pills that help. My doctor gave me a prescription for a nasal spray that also did nothing.

7. God's Rainbowgal

Have You Done research?

Jon-Marc have you done your own research into this?
    I guess I ask because it amazes me that not even a doctor could give you something to help you.

This link is for anyone that may need it if you don't know about it..

http://www.webmd.com/

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Zyrtec works the best for me. (or the generic brands of it) It's a bit pricey, but I don't have to take it every day and it actually works for the full 24 hours, unlike Claritan which lasts about 6 hours even though it's supposed to last for 24.

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Years ago I was told I had a "slightly deviated septum." I think it's gotten worse. Although I can breathe OK (most of the time) when I'm up, as soon as I lie down one side plugs up. It depends on which side I lie as to which nostril plugs up. I sleep all night long breathing through one nostril, which is why I have often woke up unable to breathe.

10. mindsleeve

mindsleeve New Member

Personally, I find Cetirizine (Zyrtec) works well for me. I try to only take it when it is desperately needed.

Other then that I use a Nasal Irrigator (also called a Neti Pot) to clear our my sinus cavity on a regular basis. Well, soon to be a daily anyways.

If you've never used, or even heard of, a Nasal Irrigator/Neti Pot, I highly recommend you look into it. Your typical Walgreens/CVS/Chain-Store-Pharmacy should carry them.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I get shots which help out. When I let then slide, I know for sure they are helping. I have to supplement with generic zyrtec.

12. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I have allergies to several pollens, and to dust. Claritin does nothing for me, but Zyrtec works pretty well.

When I was a kid, I was allergic to chocolate. I outgrew it tho, thank goodness!!

I'm also allergic to sulfa drugs, so I can't take those, but usually there's something else that works just as well.

13. God's Rainbowgal

Zyrtec?

This is being asked to anyone that uses Zyrtec..

But was there any warning to taking this that was in the media sometime this year?

For some reason I thought there was a warning on this I read.

Correct me anyone if I am wrong?