1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Almost 40,000 U.S. Troops Have Suffered Post-Traumatic Stress in Afghanistan and Iraq

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by KenH, May 27, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Victimization of the troops is one of the anti-war liberal's favorite tactics.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that the story is inaccurate in the numbers that are reported, carpro?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a very real result of combat. And always a reason to be very careful about sending our troops to war.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re-read the post and you'll know exactly what I said.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good read on the subject by a genuine sufferer, but not a victim.

http://riograndevalleyvamc.com/Agenda.aspx

PTSD: The War Within
    A Marine writes about his PTSD experience

By SSgt Travis N. Twiggs

All in all I made four trips over to the “sandbox.” It was upon returning from my second trip that I began to notice “changes” in myself. By changes I mean I was more irritable, paranoid for no reason, unable to sleep, and had trouble focusing when around other people. At the time my wife and I agreed that I would not deploy again for a while. Well, after about 1 month at home, I began yearning to go back. The Marines and sailors in my charge were asking me daily to go back with them. So late one night I approached my wife with my idea of returning to Iraq. She began to cry and said that I should go, bring the boys home safely, and get this out of my system. From that day forward, my symptoms went away. After all, I was going back to the fight, back to shared adversity, where the tempo is high and our adrenaline pulses through our veins like hot blood. It is in this place that there is no time for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very good point. We need to pray for those who suffer from PTSD that God will grant them healing from this.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And one of many reasons why veterans of combat should get unlimited health care for life. We owe them that much and more for their sacrifice.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I couldn't agree more.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/05/purple_hearts_for_ptsd.html

May 26, 2008

Purple Hearts for PTSD?
    By Thomas Lipscomb

Since the 1960s the combination of the antiwar and non-serving sectors of academia, the media, the leaders of various peace causes, the "allergic-to-combat" upper income sector of society and the "shrinkocracy" have made various cases with various levels of proof that try to establish that not only was the old Mothers for Peace poster correct that "war not healthy for children and other living things," but that it causes far more casualties than are normally counted.

Veterans have always found war downright hazardous to their health. But now their own lobbying groups such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, and Vietnam Veterans of America, and employees of the Veterans' Administration itself have decided to facilitate a blizzard of dubious veterans' benefit claims worse than the wildest dreams of any welfare queen.

Now the anti-military groups and some veterans' lobbyists appear to be combining forces in asking that the honored Purple Heart for those physically wounded in combat be awarded for mental conditions based upon some highly dubious criteria. And this proposal is actually receiving serious consideration by the Bush Department of Defense.