1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Alternatives to seminary education

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by "Lil" Possum Preacher man, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No thoughts, merely observation. The professional minister today is being shunned because if they ever had, they have lost touch with people in the street.....so (now my conclusions) are that there is very little desire for the "professional" minister anymore. In my area, it has sunk into a secular society. Now with all these highly educated professional seminarians walking around, why is it that there is very little need for them (in my community)?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Response #3

Dear Brother,

I think, but I hope not, that you have missed my point altogether?!

The point I tried to make, but either I did not make it very well or you did not get it is this:

Every God called man should be the very best he should be for his Master and for the people he serves; and there is not one in one thousand who can or would or have the ability to get what he would need to serve a local congregation on his own.

I'm done!! :BangHead:

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you called to preach? If so, consider what God's will is for your training. At your age it may be an internship rather than actual seminary. If you are not called, this thread doesn't apply to you.

Elijah had a school for the "sons of the prophets," Jesus trained the 12 for three whole years, and God sent Paul into the wilderness for three years to directly train him (as Jesus had directly called him). The Spurgeons in God's service are precious few. The rest of us need training, whatever that training might be.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice to read your posts again brother. I trust you are doing well. We are back in the US now after 33 years in Japan. I mostly teach Bible and Greek, but it's a small college so I was shanghied into your field and also taught the Survey of Church History course. Fun!

I was looking at an online seminary the other day and it said I could have 6 credits--free--for every year of ministry. I figured out that would give me 234 credits. That should be enough for another master's and maybe a couple of doctorates, don't you think? :laugh:

Amen, brother well said.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many academicians who get out among the people. Having a seminary degree does not force one to stay in the ivory tower.

When I was in seminary I went on visitation with my Hebrew prof, a well-known scholar. My son the PhD prof was a bus captain for VBS last week and reveled in it. His mentor for the PhD, Dr. David Alan Black, calls himself a missionary first and a prof second, and goes regularly on missions trips to Ethiopia, China, etc.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whats that got to do with my community?:rolleyes:

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Internship by whom?
    But the point, that you would be hard pressed to ignore is that Spurgeon had no formal training in ministry, but was called into pastor-ship at age 17....and look at his accomplishments! So do you just ignore that mans ability to serve?
    No you don't. Do you poo poo the"Spurgeon Experience" as an anomaly....I certainly hope not. God could raise up stones if He wishes.

8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhetorician Response

JoJ,

Would you PM me please.

rd

9. reverist

reverist Member

This standard is not itself found in the Bible, and thus is self-refuting.

10. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Lil,

Why do you think you cannot afford Bible College or Seminary?

I know you have heard this, but if you think education is expensive--try ignorance.

Get yourself quick fast and in a hurry to an SBC seminary. They are one of the best deals on the planet.

rd

11. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

There are some low cost or free alternatives. Such as Alaska Bible Institute in Homer Alaska. That is where I met my wife back in 2008. There is also one in Montana, but forgot the name and location.

Edit: However, they are usually unaccredited, but there are some seminary's that do accept their credits.

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JoJ,

How is the bio of your granddad coming along. Always good to hear from a brother who has lived his life living out the Gospel as you have. I thank you for your devoted service.

I was almost drug into this discussion. But how do you argue with people whose mind is already made up and closed.

I would submit (and will be castigated for doing so I know), that those young men who do not want to go to seminary should really get alone with God for a season of prayer and fasting to see if they are justifying some of their motives to themselves?!

My thoughts and I am done..

And, I could not have said it any better than JoJ has said it. This topic has been beaten to death and is a dead horse.

"That is all!"

rd

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rhet. The work on the bio has been kind of slow, since the last semester was hectic. I don't have as big a load this semester, so I'm hoping to get a lot done and finish it this summer. And I may have to do a volume 2 on the theology of JRR. He had an interesting mix, Christological and historic premil.

Amen to that.
    I've never understood why some Christians think less formal study of the Bible is a good thing.

God bless.

14. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a Bible Cirriculuum for those interested

Costs are $125-150 per 3 hour class