1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Am I a good candidate for this school? GSBC

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by DiscipleDub, Dec 17, 2005.

1. DiscipleDub

DiscipleDub New Member

Golden State Baptist College in Santa Clara, CA. Their website is located at: http://www.gsbc.edu.

Okay, first of all, thanks to anyone who reads this. I am new to the board, and have some serious questions for you all.

I have applied to GSBC, and everything is fine. The only thing holding me back from gaining acceptance to GSBC is that I am not a Baptist. I just consider myself a Christian. I go to a non-denominational church (Christian and Missionary Alliance - CMA), and I love it there. I also have never read anything other than the NIV.

GSBC is a KJVOnly institution. That kind of raises a flag for me, but I knew that going in, and thought it wouldn't be such a big deal. On their website, it does that they don't accept students who are not of the Baptist faith, but when I told them that I went to the CMA, they seemed okay with it. They also accepted my pastor's recommendation. I didn't see that I *had* to be a Baptist until after I talked to a person on the phone, who told me the only order of business left was to "become a member of a Baptist church."

I was kind of having second doubts about this place, so I went to my pastor and talked to him. He was not pleased with the information. He explained to me what it meant to be separatists. I am not a separatist type of person at all. I will hang out with Lutherans, Catholics, Protestant's, etc, if the common focus is praising God. They say they oppose all forms of ecumenicism, which I believe is not fellowshipping with members of different churches (please, correct me if I am wrong).

I know that I want to go to Bible college, and God still has kind of put GSBC on my heart, but I don't know what to do about this situation, I really don't. They seem perfect in the structure of doing things, chapel every day... The dress code is something I could get used to. I would love to play basketball there as well. I have heard good things about this school, and I went back on this board to read a post about GSBC and it seems some are impressed, and others aren't.

I feel that if I don't get this situation figured out, it is really going to bog me down. I want to go to Bible college, and I want it to be structured and purely about Jesus, but I just don't know if I can compromise who I am as a person and compromise my faith just to get into this school. Would there be any way that they could accept as I am? I mean, I am going to be going to their church while I am there. And, for the record, I have NOTHING against Baptists, at all! I love them. I just don't know what to do here. I am not a person who believes in labels, (Baptist, Catholic, etc), because I believe we all share a like faith in Jesus and love Him, and that should be enough.

It seems like there are a lot of factors going against the grain when it comes to me attending this school... Yet, I want to talk to as many people as I can and not rush off and make a snap decision. I don't want to rule this school out yet, not until I get some more advice.

Sorry this is so long, please advise me as to what I should do/consider in this situation. Thank you so much and God bless you. Merry Christmas!

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

DiscipleDub,

I would exercise caution about attending this school. First, there are some things that cought my eye as I was browsing the website. They offer Christian Elementary Education but it's for "Ladies only." Missions is for men only. They state, "The King James Version is the only English-language Bible that will be permitted on campus." If they want to use KJV, that's fine by me, but to say it's the only Bible permitted on campus is too over the edge for me. It seems very legalistic to me.

My second concern is the educational standards. None of the faculty have where their degrees are from to see if they are qualified to teach at the school. The courses required for each degree are not listed either. Accredidation is not even discussed to I would conclude they are not accredited by anyone and are not seeking accredidation. This is not necessarily bad per se, but it can cause problems if you desire to pursue graduate work at another school, particularly if that school is accredited.

Those are the main concerns I would have about this school. It looks like the facilities are very good. There is no mention of the tuition of the school.

I recommend doing some more research before committing to this school.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    DD,

Welcome to the BB. I proud of you, your newfound faith, and your commitment to full-time Christian Service.

Brother Ian has well spoken much grace and wisdom. Hold to what he said, "seek the Lord" as the oldtimers here in the South said, keep an open and teachable heart, seek wise council, and God will reveal His will to you by and by.

Remember, your young, don't be in a hurry to find God's Will. Finding it and doing it are not necessarily the same thing.

I hope this helps.

sdg!

rd

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think this is wise advice. There are some def red flags that come up. Be careful and really seek the Lord's heart.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For the first three years of my Christian life I went to a CMA church. From my experience with the CMA you would not find it anything like a KJVO school.

Many CMA pastors have studied in Baptist schools.

Too many Baptists today feel as though they are being contaminated by non-Baptists in their churches and schools. Many would like to see all seminary students come with a Baptist background. I did not come with a Baptist background because my parents were not even Christians.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Golden State might not be a place where you'd be happy, unless you realize that the label "baptist" means something. Not all who call themselves "christian" really are Christians. Not all who call themselves Baptist are either, but there is a greater likelihood. I figure that they assumed you wanted to identify with the Baptist label since you were applying to a Baptist college.

This is a very baptistic school, and Im sure they will stick to this issue of you joining a Baptist church. They most likely would prefer you join their church while you are at their college. The college is run by the church, btw, so they see their college as a ministry OF their church....it is not really separate.

Its a good church, being run in a difficult part of the country. I don't know much about the college itself. But they are in my "circle" of baptist, so I can probably give you an idea. It is a pretty new school, (less than 6 years, I believe), so most likely Brother Ian's concerns about their faculty would not need to include the idea that all their faculty graduated from there. I don't think they've been in existence long enough to have many teachers coming from their own graduates.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That would be enough to cause me to withdraw my application. This is my personal conviction and I would say that others would have to make up their own minds about it. Some maybe able to overlook and agree to this stipulation even though they disagree with it doctrinally. However I cannot. Why not? For me the statement is legalistic, unBiblical, and seems to be over the line. To say that only the KJV will be allowed "on campus" is going way too far. While I am certainly opposed to KJVO I can tolerate it. However that goes way beyond simple KJVO. If they said their teachers would only teach from the KJV that would be fine. If they were to say that students are expected to use the KJV on tests and papers that would be fine. However to say that no english version other than the KJV is allowed on campus is going too far. I would fear that the school carries with it a spirit of legalism.

==What "para-church organizations" weaken the local church? Would they be refering to groups that God has raised up like "In Touch", "Love Worth Finding", or "Grace To You"? Are those organizations "destructive"? I don't think so. Many people come to Christ thanks to those ministries. Not only that many of those people who come to Christ attend local Baptist Churches. However this school seems so narrow in its focus that it can't see that fact. I imagine their policy here steams from the fact that many of those groups are not funamental Baptists?

Btw, I thought seminaries (etc) are "para-church" organizations?

==Looking at this statement in the light of statement 2 causes my level of concern to rise. They seem to oppose anyone who is not just like themselves. While I oppose ecumenicalism I don't believe we can be as narrow as they are being. We are free in Christ to fellowship (etc) with other believers regardless of their denomination as long as they are believers in the Living Lord (ie...they trust the Lord via the Biblical Gospel). Clearly certain groups are outside of that category (Catholics, liberal protestants, Muslims, Hindus, Mormons, JWs, etc, etc) and we must present the Gospel to them. However if a person accepts the Biblical Gospel then I see no reason not to fellowship with them (if they are not in sin).

That covers their "distinctives".

==I don't agree with the above statement nor with its supporting arguments. However I would not divide over it (as they are willing to do).

I am greatly encouraged by their belief in eternal security and I am in agreement with their doctrinal statement. However their ultra KVO and their Baptist only attitude cause me great concern.

I would also second Brother Ian's concerns about their "educational standards".

DiscipleDub, I would look at other schools. From your brief description of yourself I don't know that you will enjoy attending that school. Don't limit yourself! There are many fine, conservative, Baptist colleges out their you can choose from. However you should go where the Lord leads you. God bless you in your studies and future ministry!

In Christ,
    Martin.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Few if any church run schools are any good.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was pastoring I wanted all the people I could get from parachurch organizations. Most of the time they had more zeal and ambition than church members who had never been trained to share their faith and disciple new believers.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a local source, I'd say no you and GSBC are not good fits. And that's leaving aside any particulars about the quality of their faculty or lack thereof.

If on the surface GSBC is attractive to you, I'd say International Baptist College in the Metro-Pheonix would be a better fit.
    IBC Homepage

11. nate

nate New Member

A church I attened a while ago, before I became SBC, the Pastor was a huge GSBC supporter. I would say they are on the extreme border of being a cult. Sorry if I seem harsh but they are Independent Baptist only that's what the info he used to get for me said. There KJVO doctrine seems really heavy handed even PCC allows you to use Modern Versions for Private use. But this is just my perspective I would just pray about it.

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DiscipleDub, you can find all kinds of opinions pro and con about KJVO, independent Baptists, church-run schools, and even this particular school. I would say that in your case these opinions pro or con are not that important.

Why? Here is what I see as the bottom line. You wrote, "I want to go to Bible college, and I want it to be structured and purely about Jesus, but I just don't know if I can compromise who I am as a person and compromise my faith just to get into this school." I do not know just what you believe. If you're in a CMA church, I know I wouldn't agree with some of it. BUT, do not compromise who you are and what you believe just to get into a school. If won't work out in the end.

13. Eric Rolen

Eric Rolen New Member

With any bible college you are gonig to have "their way" of teaching and interpreting given to you. I have seen this with people ive have met from various schools.

most IFB colleges are pretty rigid in their stance on certain issues. Some think it borders on legalism.

If a church or college takes a strong stance on the fundamental doctrines of Christ I would consider that place sound.

but with other issues such as translations etc.. that is up to you.

a good start would be to get a copy of their Doctrine and what they belief or statement of faith and requirements and sit down with your pastor and go over them. if you agree or disagree call the school and ask questions. Most i have spoke with are more than glad to discuss these issues and tell you how they stand on the issue. you may agree or disagree but i feel this is the best way of educating yourself.

if you dont feel it is for you you can always go the distance learning route and use your church as a "learning environment" if your pastor will concur.

14. Broadus

Broadus Member

DiscipleDub,

I also welcome you to the Baptist Board.

Perhaps you would like to check out Boyce College, a school of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. You will find a Bible-based education, a quality faculty comprised of conservative Baptists, and a student body, while mostly Baptist, comprised of many evangelical denominations. I think you will feel at home.

BTW, my son-in-law was recently graduated from Boyce and I have degrees from Southern.

Blessings,
    Bill

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I wanted to add a bit to my post on this subject.

First, being anti-ecumenical means within organized church functions. It is not a statement on personal relationships. You mentioned they do not join with other denominations (as most baptists also practice this sort of separation), but then you equated that with the fact that you have friends from all sorts of walks of life and beliefs. The two ideas are not the same. Having relationships with people is always good, no matter what church the people belong to. That is not the same as ecclesiastical separation.

Secondly, if this college (Golden State) is really where God wants you than go there. Do what you need to do in order to go there, without lying, of course. Isn't that what serving God is really about?

Ok, you don't necessarily believe that we need labels.....thats fine to believe that. But since you don't believe the label really matters all that much, there should be no problem with you being willing to take on the Baptist label while you are in college.

Research it, find out what the "baptist" label means.....and if you are a Biblical Christian you will find out that it is an acceptable label to be known by. If this is truly your biggest reason for questioning this school, then I think it is one which is easy to overcome.

But remember, do what God wants you to do, go where God wants you to go, even if it makes you uncomfortable.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not EVER, not even to a dog, recommend that school. The list is longer than my arm of how bad it is.

That is MY opinion.

Crown College (the REAL Crown College in suburban Minneapolis) is CMA and has a good reputation. It would NOT be a choice of mine, but among that denomination's schools, it is one of the best.

17. clockhoof

clockhoof New Member

I agree with Dr. Bob. I would never go to that school.

Have you thought about Toccoa Falls College?

Isn't the CMA a denomination?

18. nate

nate New Member

19. greek geek

greek geek New Member

I am shocked that the school would be so condesending to offer a 4 year "secretarial science" degree for women only to "train ladies for full-time Christian service as secretaries." That, I think, is an all time low in what some Christians think of women. A 4 year degree just to teach women how to be secretaries! Most secretary jobs can train a brand new secretary in a couple of weeks. Not to mention the fact that the school doesn't allow for a man to be "called" to serve in that capacity. I am disgusted. No matter what your view of women in ministry is - this is a new low.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have been told that Paige Patterson's secretary at SWBTS is a man.