1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Am I in sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So then your argument is (since you cannot or will not answer my question) is Jesus was the ONLY Jew who didn't use wine for the Passover? No Jew was even permitted to have yeast anywhere in their dwelling a week before! ONLY alcoholic win would have been allowed. Snap back to reality, go with Gods Word over manmade vices-

Your type is why the op feels the way they do.

3. Born Again

Born Again Member

:thumbs: Just for emphasis I have added those scriptures in NASB95:

21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That Scripture is about a lot of folks making ASSUMPTIONS about what they THOUGHT Jesus was doing. Part of its intent was to demonstrate that what they thought they were saying to discredit Him, He was not doing.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verse says Jesus ate food and drank wine but people thought he did it to excess.

Or did Jesus NOT eat food?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What argument?Where in the OT do you see any mention of wine associated with the Passover? What use of any word of scripture says that Passover wine is fermented?

Your question is irrelevant because you have no Scriptural basis for saying what Jesus drank at Passover. Neither do you have any Biblical basis for assuming that Passover wine was fermented.

If they weren't allowed to have yeast(leaven) in the dwelling, then that would throw out fermented wine as being used.

And for the record, the ancient Jews were capable of preserving grapes and keep grape juice from fermenting from up to a year.

And your type is why there are alcoholics.

7. Born Again

Born Again Member

Did they actually think he ate and drank to excess? Or was it intentional exaggeration?

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The verse you quoted says that He ate and He drank. It didn't say what He ate or drank. The folks making the assumptions said that He was a winebibber. That doesn't mean He drank wine.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Probably was intentional exaggeration because they wanted to discredit Him. But Scripture doesn't say.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOW we come to the real issue, Alcoholism!!!!

Don't make the mistake of believing that alcoholism is suppressed by abstinence...it is not. It is suppressed by recognition that there are certain people who cant drink alcohol because they cant control themselves when they do.

The stigma of being an alcoholic or a drug addict is in the "DENIAL" so deal with that & quit skewing around with your unnatural obsession to an alcoholic beverage.

11. Born Again

Born Again Member

If I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on intentional exaggeration.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Alcoholism is not an issue of mine. I have a family with a few in it. But no one becomes an alcoholic by not drinking.

Folks use all sorts of things to deal with their spiritual brokenness. I just don't think the Church should give them an opening to consider another thing.

It's a non-issue if they never start drinking.

Not with me it isn't. I deal with enough of them to know better.

#32 Zaac, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The issue here really isn't alcohol. It's the guy's conscience.

If he has trouble sleeping at night because he works there, or he's trying to justify it to himself by calling it "mouthwash", then he needs to quit.

If some other brother works there and it doesn't bother him, fine.

(Although I personally do not understand how that could happen. I've seen far too many lives destroyed by alcohol to ever want anything to do with the promotion or sale of the stuff, myself.)

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So was Jesus being sinnfull when he made wine for the wedding party?
    MB

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The best wine was freshly squeezed just as people say about freshly squeezed orange juice.

Grape juice(freshly squeezed) was considered the best wine, not the rotting, decaying juice.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FAIL.

What does God say?

Isaiah 25:6
    On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare
    a feast of rich food for all peoples,
    a banquet of aged wine
    the best of meats and the finest of wines.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with this. Technically, the OP is not "in sin", but he's obviously bothered by his job.

19. Born Again

Born Again Member

To quote John MacArthur from his NASB95 Study Bible, Romans 14:22,23:

"The strongest Christian can bring harm to himself in the area of Christian liberty by denouncing or belittling the freedom God has given him, or by carelessly flaunting his liberty without regard for how that might affect others."

"Paul urges the strong believer to understand his liberty, enjoy it, and keep it between God and himself. The strong believer maintains a healthy conscience because he does not give a weak believer a cause to stumble."

"When the weak brother violates his conscience, he sins."

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think the bigger issue is NOT if people will sin by misuse of the beer when it ships out, but do you feel convicted of god to stop doing this job? if yes, and that you feel that its sin to do this, by all means stop working there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.