1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Am I the only one disappointed?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Trotter, Mar 2, 2004.

1. onestand

onestand New Member

Christ4, you were asking how much will we overlook in this movie to make it "ok", my question was simply to point out that if we pick everything apart which shares the gospel then you would have to pick apart the pastor too, being that it happens to be you, would you say your life is qualified to be pure and holy enough to meet a perfect gospel standard of sharing?...do you have ANY sin in your life? Please don't take that as a personal attack, I don't mean to put you on the spot, just thinking as pastors, evangelists and all others who would teach, preach or share Jesus in any fashion.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No, I am not perfect, but I also do not pre-judge those who not not believe the same way I do as Gibson does.

I do not preach error as this film does. The errors in this movie are obvious and do not require "picking out." I would not asj anyone to "overlook" my sin. When I sin I am in error and need to be confronted with it.

When it comes to preaching I tell people to pick my preaching apart - if I preach error I want to be confronted with it.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'd rather be confronted by a good listening Berean than a loose Corinthian! Get your "Plum Bob"(scripture) out and measure the truth of my message---That's my standard! And as with the Apostle Paul I can stand in clear conscience of all men.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think we're getting off the topic here. Everyone has the right to like and dislike the movie as they are so moved. That doesn't make the movie evil or holy.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw this one and yes, he's a communist/aetheist and this is why this movie is so good, he told it right out of the Book of Matthew with miracles as-is where-is without a theological axe to grind.

HankD

6. amen_corner

amen_corner New Member

Christ4Kildare,

Where on this thread did someone say that they "overlooked" the twisted theology of the film? Who said that?

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Look at the third post in the thread.

8. amen_corner

amen_corner New Member

I re-read the thread and missed it...thanks for pointing it out. Bad idea.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Perfect response. I will gladly put my preaching up to the same critiques that I ask for the Gibson movie.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Daniel,

I am sorry that you took my questions as a personal insult, they surely were not intended that what. I am questioning the wisdom of excusing error to achieve what may be good. The question remains, if not willing to overlook the examples I mentioned, how much are we willing to overlook?

This movie is just a movie, nothing more and nothing less.

11. onestand

onestand New Member

Christ4, IF there are any errors in this movie, you say they are obvious, but to whom? People who are not saved or never even heard the story of Christ on the cross wouldn't have the slightest comprehension of what is inacurrate, that is why I say they won't be sitting there "picking it apart". I cannot say if I believe it's in error or not, but after this afternoon I will, I'm heading out now to go see it and frankly I can't wait.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

OS,

Enjoy the movie.

13. onestand

onestand New Member

I saw the movie this afternoon and I must say what a brilliant movie this is. I did notice few things in error VERY FEW things. The one particular thing that I thought could have been and should have been symbolized differently was when Judas was in the desert they used children to taunt him (which in my view I saw as demons since they showed satan there too)I feel that was a poor choice but other than that and of course the nails in Jesus hands instead of his wrists I found it to be extremely gospel compelling. I did not feel at all this movie was more about Mary than it was about Jesus, it showed Jesus death from everyone's perspective which is what I believe it should have been. I was able to relate to Mary from a mother's heart of seeing her son go through all this and her knowing he had to do it, supporting, loving him and believing and yet feeling dramatic pain for him, to me that's a powerful message. I also liked the idea that during different parts of Jesus suffering they had him thinking back on his days of ministering and being a carptenter. I loved how they portrayed Satan (which btw you couldn't really tell it was a woman unless you looked hard. All in all, all I can say is Mel, EXCELLENT JOB!!!

14. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Amen:

Regardless, I went, filtered through that stuff, and "ate the meat, but spit out the bones." Surely you went with the same mindset?

S&T:

But sometimes the bones get caught in your throat, and there is a chance you could choke. Why not eat the prime boneless version? {the scripture]

15. amen_corner

amen_corner New Member

How can I spit out the bones and have those same bones stuck in my throat? [​IMG]

I realize that I used a cliche, but that is a second language to a Baptist. I guess when you hear a preacher say, "If that don't light your fire then your wood is wet" that you say, "What wood? I don't see any wood? Do you have wood somewhere?" [​IMG]

Do you think that believers should be able to interpret not only the Scriptures, but also the messages coming from the culture? Or, do we go through this life with our ears shut and our brains closed? Is it not possible to view a film like the Passion and come away from it with something of value? Or is all lost because of the film maker's theology and vision?

16. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

JB:

2. Anti Passion people have tended to try and tear every part of this movie apart and try to find fault with it, instead of realizing, that like Braveheart, the Patriot, and many other historical films like it, I don't think Gibson meant it to be a tool of evangelism.

quote from the link below:

And the film is already reaping spiritual fruit, which in Gibson's mind is much more important than monetary returns.
    "It's about changing lives and changing hearts," he says.

http://www.ncregister.com/Register_News/030903gibson.htm

Here is another quote:

www.charismanews.com recently reported that Gibson had previewd the film in Colorado Springs, USA, to over 800 Evangelicals, to ensure that he had been true to the Biblical record. Gibson is quoted as saying 'I'm no preacher or pastor, but I really feel my career was leading me to make this. The Holy Ghost was working through me on this film and I was just "directing traffic" . I hope the film has power to evangelise'. The overwhelmimg response was positive.

17. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Are we going to remember and laugh about our heated debates on The Passion...

...when we are in heaven with our Lord and Savior?

What a funny thought.

My question remains: what does Jesus Christ Himself think of this film? If we really do have an intimate personal relationship with Him, it would not be difficult to obtain His opinion.

Peace.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. onestand

onestand New Member

Spirit, to be honest with you, after seeing the movie I'm not at all interested in these links provided. With anything, anyone can and will find something they don't like or feel is in error and they are entitled to feel that way and perhaps the error they speak of is correct. Fact is, I didn't go to this movie with the idea of tearing it apart, I went for what it was....a perspective.

I was highly impressed and I walked away with a better in depth idea of what Jesus went through as well as the ones who walked with him and loved him. I am grateful for that opportunity.

19. onestand

onestand New Member

Vaspers...good point, and let me just say I have no doubt that Jesus would put his stamp of approval on a film which shows his ultimate love in laying down his life as a sacrifice.