1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Am I wrong for thinking this? (About the Pope)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BigBossman, Jan 19, 2009.

1. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not Catholic. Maybe I'd have to be Catholic to understand, or maybe its just me.....

....Why does it appear that people (mostly Catholics) treat the Pope as if he were Jesus Christ? Anytime he goes some where, people always flock to where he is at like he is more than human.

I remember watching an epidsode of Saturday Night Live back in the early 90's. Sinead O'Conner was performing a musical act on stage. Toward the end of her song, she held up a picture of Pope Jean Paul II & tore it in two. Alot of people were outraged by that. I don't see hwy they were upset. To me, it was no different than tearing a picture of Jimmy Swaggart, Billy Graham, or Jerry Falwell (I have respect for all three). I could understand people getting ouraged over tearing a picture of Jesus Christ.

It just shows how crazy our society has become when we idolize humans.

I don't want anyone taking me the wrong way, I thought Pope Jean Paul II was a good guy. I just don't like how people make him out to be more than human.

#1 BigBossman, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

It looks like Barack Obama gets the same kind of adoration.

I saw the Sinead O'Conner incident when it happened and it really was distasteful. My wife, who is somewhat anticatholic, was watching with me and she was also quite disgusted.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

The SNL cast are very pro g@y and pro abortion. That skit where Sinead O'Conner defaced John Paul II's portrait was not an attack on Catholicism but on JP's stance against the agenda of both factions of debauchery.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Where are you going to get one of those? We have no pictures of him, only the imaginings of artists.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, BigBoss it's true, and the Church of Rome tries to redefine what they are doing with the adoration of the Pope as "veneration" (less than worship).

There is an old saying "a rose by any other name... or, "if it looks like a duck, it quacks, it waddles, it swims, etc, then guess what...".

But it's not just Catholics and the Pope.

Have you ever seen pictures in the 50's and 60's of what people did when Elvis showed up, the Beatles,etc. Or even some folks during the current election races.

Idolatry is part of the flesh, the sin nature, we all have it and even the saved can be subject to it if they are not walking in the light.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

HankD

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On one of the catholic pope's tiaras, the following inscription may be found:

VICARIVS FILII DEI

Latin for Vicar of God on earth.

Any more surprises why he is treated like a god ?

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "the Pope of Rome . . . is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the church against Christ, and all that is called God; whom the Lord shall destroy with the brightness of his coming." ---1689 London Baptist Confession

8. Spinach

Spinach New Member

For whatever reason, people find hope in the Pope. They are wrong, but they are sincere. I'm sure many elevate the individual, but I'm sure many would tell you that it's the position that they elevate.

The truth needs to be preached in love so that those who are following blindly, looking for hope, can be made free!

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The gent (or lady) do make a (at least wee little, miniscule, teensy-weensy, small, minor, trivial, insignificant, inconsequential, tiny, and minute) point, here. :thumbsup:

Ed

#9 EdSutton, Jan 19, 2009
  10. Beth

Beth New Member

no

No, he wasn't a good guy, any more than others who lead people to destruction by offering an alternative means of "salvation".

The gospel of Rome is not the gospel which is taught in the Bible.

A very good resource for understanding Catholicism is Mike Gendron's site. If you are unaware of what the Catholic church teaches, you might want to check out Mike's teachings.

http://pro-gospel.org/x2/

Don't think I am personally criticizing you, BigBossman...lots of folks who haven't had personal experience with the Catholic church understandably do not know what it teaches.

Your sis in Christ,
    Beth

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

For those such as I, who would like to appear smarter than we really merit, the name of the late leader of the Roman Catholic Church might be best and properly rendered in the 'West' Northern Hemisphere, in a few locales, such as the Nation of Haiti, the Province of Quebec, the State of Louisiana, Region Guyane (French Guiana), and some other smaller locales that are either French controlled or highly French influenced, as Pope Jean Paul II.

Among the English-speaking however (Despite any jokes, both Mobile, AL and Central KY as well as most of the rest of "these United States", actually do speak English, even including the GA counties of Crabapple and Cobb. ;) ), the name of the late Pontiff is properly rendered as Pope John Paul II.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/special_features/hf_jp_ii_xxv_fr.htm

As you can see, his actual Papal name, as he himself signed it, was Ioannes Paulus II.

Ed

#11 EdSutton, Jan 19, 2009
  12. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

You may also be surprised that they hold the mother of JESUS in high regards. She is not to be mortalized. They are giving worship service to the wrong Mary.
    Remem,ber Mary that washed JESUS'S, feet with her tears and hair? Jesus said, let this be a memorial to her from this day forward. They got that one wrong too although they may be sincere about doing so.

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the pope is believed (by Catholics) to speak with the voice of God, and that everything he says IS from God. I wonder what they do with 1 Tim. 2:5 that says that Christ Jesus is the ONLY Mediator between God and men?

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This all goes back to their position on Papal succession. Everything flows back to Rome. The Bishop of Rome (i.e. the Pope) is God's representative on earth and, when consecreated, acts as the natural successor to the original Bishop of Rome (Peter) who was designated by Christ as the founder of the Church.

Thus, in a long away around the original doctrine, the Pope can take on the identity and Preistness (if that is a word) of Jesus Christ. This authority flows down to all cardinal, bishops, and parish priests.

That is how some Popes have gone off the deep end and created doctrines like "Papal Infallibility" and "ex cathedra."

As for the people who flock to see him...well that happens to lots of people. Humans have a strange way of attempting to venerate people that lead them.

Sort of like how people make out certain pastors to be more than just human...it happens. How many people in our churches still think that the Pastor of a church must offer the Lord's Supper because he "sanctifies" it or something weird.

I liked Pope Jean Paul II and have read many a good thing from the current Pope Benedict XVI. I know this isn't popular around here, but there have been good Popes that have helped Christianity and the world. :)

Great post.

15. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I meant. I didn't mean an actual picture.

#15 BigBossman, Jan 19, 2009
  16. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't take criticism personally. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Sorry about the double post. I don't know how to quote two different postings in the same message.

17. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I don't know Greek but I can read Latin and that inscription says, "VICAR OF THE SON OF GOD."

18. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I can remember the 40's when Sinatra showed up. Young girls swooned! Some of this is caused by media hype but much of it is as you state: "Idolatry is part of the flesh, the sin nature, we all have it".

Each year thousands gather at Elvis' estate in Memphis. Some people must have an image, live or not, to adore or even worship. People, I am sure professing Christians among them, will camp out for days in bitter weather to purchase tickets to a concert or even the latest video game.

How many Baptists would wait in line to enter a worship service? How many Baptists start looking at their watch if the sermon cuts into their early seating at a restaurant?

19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've done this...for both...does that make me bad?

You should come by the church where I get to serve. We always have lines. Something about the excitement that builds when there are lots of people and few seats.

Your second point is right on. We had a guy in the choir loft of the nearly-fundamentalist church I grew up in that had am alarm on his watch that would go off at exactly 12:00. Everybody could hear it...except him apparently. Credit to our Pastor at the time...he completely ignored it and continued right on for another ten minutes. :D

20. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

As for checking one's watch, we had a man in one Baptist church who had his watch alarm set for 12 noon. It beeped very loudly.