1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amalgamation of Two or Three Versions

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went through the book of Matthew yesterday in my ESV . I noted 41 phrases which sound a bit dated and awkward for present day English . I then compared those 41 examples with the renderings of the NLT . The NLT rendered the expressions much better . The TNIV had basically the same kind of phraselogy in 14 cases , the HCS in 8.5 occasions , in common with the ESV . My favorite version overall is the TNIV , with the HCS second . The NLT mutes the meaning at times . So it can't be a study Bible . It is good for long stretches of reading though . At times it puts across the biblical meaning in a much clearer fashion than the others . So if I were to combine two or more versions together ( leaving out what I think are inferior wordings ) , I would blend the TNIV , HCS and NLT together . What versions would you like to see fused together in the English language ?

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aren't there any takers for this idea of blending your favorite versions ?

I'm going to go through a couple books of the Bible and find out what verses are better rendered in the TNIV and HCS . I will tally the total number of prefered passages in each and see which version has the most verses . It is indeed personal preference . But I like to check things out in the notes of the NET on-line Bible ( and some of my commentaries ) .

I am mainly interested in a rendering that is accurate yet keeps to a more current style of English without being street lingo .

So , what do some of you think ? Would you like to have a mix of the NASU and the NKJ ?

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to see a blending of the KJV & NKJV, in modern language, all available mss duly considered.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are acknowledging that the language of the NKJ is not really that modern . For the most part , would the language of the NLT2 be appropriate -- if the words were faithful to a formal equivalence model ?

Don't you see any deficiencies in the TR for an up-to-date Bible version ?

Why wouldn't you want to combine the NASU with another version ? Don't you like its textual basis ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.