Amen to those who disapprove of this new BB format!!

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by wpe3bql, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql
    Expand Collapse

As a handicapped person w/several vision challenges + one who is 110+ computer DUMB! + One whose electric power was out for the past 4 days..... IMHO this BB format change rates right up there with the Obama Care website, Hillary's e-mail server, & Donald Trump's hairstyle [lack of] fashion statement [which was on the top of my "20 Reasons Not to Show Up in Nearby Franklin TN's Gala This Past Weekend Donald Trump's Love Fest."

It would have taken me with a bit less aggravation, chagrin, frustration, etc., had we been informed by "The BB Powers That Be" had we been notified in advance of all this foundation change for BB (just like we've never notified in advance of the times and duration when BB is supposedly down for maintenance!).

I realize that occasionally BB is at the mercy of the "vBulletin Gods," but IMHO, after this handicapped person who in a few weeks will celebrate his 4th anniversary of getting a stroke (+ a subsequent relapse 10 months later), it's not the most uplifting thing for me to have to go back and start all over again from square negative zero to recoup all the stuff from the former BB and spend his time trying to remember what I put in my member profile, etc.

I could go on, but after being woken up this morning with a cold & having to stumble (literally!) down the stairs to be confronted by the "24/7/365" electrician whose boss gave him the wrong time (only 5 hrs. EARLIER than what I was told he'd be there) + the fact that due to all these & not to mention the that the lawn mowing service which was supposed to come on the past 4 weeks ago FINALLY shows up for their excessively loud & disturbing-all-the-neighborhood's-dogs + it now being at least 12 hours since I've eaten, I think I've registered enough of my displeasure over this unannounced & (at least IMHO) unwanted

2. InTheLight

InTheLight
    Expand Collapse

As I told a newbie earlier today - - avoid the curmudgeons!

3. kyredneck

kyredneck
    Expand Collapse

Give it time. You'll get into the groove of it before you know it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. wpe3bql

wpe3bql
    Expand Collapse

5. Sean

Sean
    Expand Collapse

The change is WAY more than just a new look. Here are few reasons as to why we changed forum software & the theme.

1) We were using VBulletin 3.8.x (which has known vulnerabilities in it which means we could have been compromised at anytime, it is also very outdated).

2) The old forum theme was not responsive, meaning it was very hard to use on a Phone or Tablet (if you are not using Tapatalk)

3) XenForo (our new software) is currently still being supported and developed, which means we will stay up to date with the latest technology.

4) XenForo holds many new features, functionality, and is overall more SEO friendly (meaning we will rank in Google better, which in turn will bring more members to the forum).

These are just a few of the highlights.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

My initial reaction was similar to wpe3bql's. But after checking in with the new Webmaster and following his directions on how to change the format to one more similar to the old system (the default system here on XenForo) I am very happy with the results.

The new system has many feathers the old system lacked that make the forum much more responsive.

I really liked the "Like" button but it seems to have disappeared. I hope it will come back. It is a great asset that does away with a lot of short posts that just say "I agree" or words to that effect.

I also like the fact that we can "edit" our postings for longer than just a few minutes. That was the one feature on the old system that caused me great agitation. As most of you know I am crippled by MS. I make many typos and because my eyesight is affected by my disease I often miss catching those typos when I read what I posted. I often don't get around to doing that until the next day when it was too late to edit due, apparently, to some sort of paranoia on the part of the old Webmaster. :)

The only thing I would suggest, if possible, is to move the "Upload a File" button to the "More Options" button and move "Preview" onto the main page. I suspect we use the "Preview" button a lot more than the "Upload a File" button.

But over all, as I am getting accustomed to the new system I have to say I like it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. TCassidy

TCassidy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Okay, I found the "Like" button again, but now I seem to have lost the "edit" button!

8. Rolfe

Rolfe
    Expand Collapse

Wpe3bql- I hope that your day gets better. :)

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

Yea VBulletin 3.8 came out in 2006 I believe and is no longer supported

10. wpe3bql

wpe3bql
    Expand Collapse

11. wpe3bql

wpe3bql
    Expand Collapse

I'd like to say that now everything's fine and dandy, but it still isn't. OTOH, having had to endure 18+ years as an Electronic Technician at what used to was Bell South Telecommunications----and one whose databases I'd kinda half-way figured out how to use & was somewhat comfortable in using---I came to work one Monday PM only to find out that Bell South was no more. Without anyone telling us, we became (and still are) AT&T. Not the old "Ma Bell," mind you because the old AT&T was laid to rest back in the 1980's. The current one that you see that offers you the piece of garbage known as U-Verse and/or the stupid "Rethink Possible" baloney was just an acquisition by the RBOC once known as SBC (SBC used to operate primarily in the TX, OK, MO & KS region with essentially the same central office switching technologies, but with completely different maintenance database programs---none of which most BST people knew anything about. The one expression that sent chills up and down our collective spines and had to be confronted with huge amounts of fear and trembling was, "Guys, we're going to be doing an UPGRADE!!! But, not to worry, you switch maintenance remote monitors won't see anything different than before, trust us on this one!!

Well, our perception of the honesty of that kind of "simple, non-service-affecting, totally transparent" UPGRADE was, time-after-time, severely put to the test & failed. I could fill volumes of horror stories on that aspect, but I think you get my point.

What upsets me the most is why the BB powers that be chose not to forewarn us of not only the dramatic format change that would occur, but also how to deal with the multitude of changes in navigating these changes. Having our local electric power service interrupted at about the same time the "new BB" was launched just made all the inherent challenges exponentially worse when all my physical handicaps are added the mix, didn't cause my fun meter to stay at its constant low rating either. IOW, if we'd have been given sufficient notice and training of all these dramatic changes, things might have been a bit less aggravating/frustrating to at least me. But, NO, that was never in BB's playbook it seems.

I realize that the BB Powers-That-Be are sometimes at the mercies of whoever it is that provides the various aspects of the database(s) it has chosen to use, but IMHO, one would have thought that at least one or more of the BB Administrators/Moderators would have known ahead of time that these changes were forth coming at some point in time and, in turn, have the common courtesy to tell the BB members in general by means of a warning notice or something similar, but I guess that was not on "Whoever it was's" "Things To Do List."

Eventually, I suppose, we'll all get over these stumbling blocks, but, at least in my situation, it won't be without having 10 stubbed toes.

------- 73's & DX, WPE3BQL/Formerly KTN4EG

12. InTheLight

InTheLight
    Expand Collapse

<snip irrelevancy>

You want a training manual for a website forum? Seriously?

When I clicked on my bookmark for Baptist Board a few days ago and up popped the new user interface I did a short double take and then immediately thought--"Great! They've finally updated this ugly, clunky thing to resemble something from post 2010! And I bet all the problems I've been having lately are related to the switchover. Let's see what this baby can do."

Rather than complain and moan about it, I took it as an opportunity to learn something new. That's almost always a good thing.

13. wpe3bql

wpe3bql
    Expand Collapse

14. wpe3bql

wpe3bql
    Expand Collapse

What is so absolutely wrong with having a manual for navigating this new BB format? As I've mentioned before, I am a person who lacks many skills in dealing with situations that are caused by computer-generated changes. Others on BB may not see this new format as much of a challenge & are fine with it because they probably had either some background in "computer - ology" or maybe they've "grown up" using computers to the extent that navigating the ins & outs of the latest and greatest computer-generated programs, etc., or have been blessed with some kind of "experiential love" for all things dealing with and/or generated by computers.

I am not one of those persons.

There are some things in life on which I've had both training & experience with that perhaps others on BB have had little or no training and/or experience with that I would find to be relatively easy to do because of the fact that I have had both training & experience in performing an assigned task. For example, if a BB person were ordered to re-route one PSAP in one NPA-NXX to a completely different NPA-NXX within a 10 minute (or less) time frame and also correctly document all the procedures he/she performed---including proper contacts with both ends of each element of the re-routed PSAP---in the proper INTS databases, could that BB person correctly and completely perform every sub-function of the multitude of tasks he/she was ordered to do within that 10 minute (or less) allocated time frame and thus possibly save the lives of several people by their accurate and complete discharge in the correct step-by-step implementation within the allocated time frame of this ordered task?

Probably not.

The primary reason for this BB person failing to completely succeed in that ordered task would most likely be that he/she was not given much---if any---prior training and/or experience in performing this ordered task.

This is the major reason why I've registered my complaints about this new BB format, especially since none of the BB Powers That Be opted to inform any of the BB users of this this rather major change in the format within a reasonable time frame so that the rest of us on BB would have had some type of "Heads Up" warning that this major change in BB's format.

15. Rolfe

Rolfe
    Expand Collapse

Change is inevitable. Sometimes, whether it is good or bad depends if we want to complain about it.

16. wpe3bql

wpe3bql
    Expand Collapse

While some folks might consider someone who registers any/all forms of disagreement about anything at anytime since Cain did in Genesis 4 an "habitual complainer," FWIW I don't think I'd place myself within the top echelon of the recovery group called "Complainers Anonymous" that seems to meet every week right by the thermostat for the auditorium---besides, I wouldn't want to be identified as being associated with the mother church at Laodicea whose members seemed to revel in the fact that on the left you'd find the "colds," while on the right you'd find the "hot's."

That being said, the mere fact that I've registered what, IMHO, I believe was a legitimate "disapproval" of the way that this new BB format was rolled out to each and every BB member with absolutely no "heads up" given BEFORE hand.

If you wish to rank me as a sore-losing "complainer," so be it. I've got more important priorities in life than to waste any more bandwidth trying to defend a hill that isn't worth dying for.

Please understand that the above comments are not directed to you, Rolf, or---for that matter---anyone else on BB, including those that may have had a hand in delivering to us BB members this new format, because they aren't.

I appreciate the time & effort our unpaid volunteer BB "Powers that Be" put in for us BB members to have a place where we can communicate with each other on an internet website that upholds the Biblical standards that BB not only "claims" it abides by, but in reality, actually DOES!!

Consider this post to be my last one on this topic, and, hopefully the moderators will close/lock this thread ASAP!!!

17. kyredneck

kyredneck
    Expand Collapse

If you haven't already done so explore to the right of the 'like' button and see the other options such as 'dislike', 'agree', 'disagree', 'dumb', and so on.

18. TCassidy

TCassidy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Found those. Still looking for the "edit" button on some posts but not others. o_O

19. matt wade

matt wade
    Expand Collapse

I'm still hoping that the new format will help us weed out some folks....unfortunately all it's seemed to do is create long, irrelevant stories of people's life.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck
    Expand Collapse

This thread doesn't have an edit button for me either but all the others I've posted on so far do.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.