1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

America - Then and Now

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not exactly. Don't forget, this was also the McCarthy era. In the 1950's, there was abundant lip service given by the US to God, as part of the fight against "godless communism". We did not have "In God We Trust" on our money, or "Under God" in the pledge prior to that.

One should not confuse lip service to Godliness.

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

John,

I was born in the 1950's, and there really was a difference in the world's attitude toward God that was a lot more than "lip service."

Its difficult to explain to other people, but it was there.

As to the movies - again - I'm not talking about books vs movies. I am talking about the fact that today, Hollywood would NOT have made, even subtle, references to God in a positive way.

Then, it was almost expected.

Ever really take a look at some of the old tv shows that used to be popular and "normal"? The main characters always had a church they went to, watching them, you assumed the whole town went to church. They always prayed before meals, and in times of trouble. The ministers were the respected men of wisdom in the town, the ones people turned to for advice. Only the town doctor mattered as much in those old shows.

If you ever caught the old "Mayberry RFD," with the small town where they all went to church and they all had Sunday dinner, and they all had respect for the 10 commandments, even if they broke them from time to time - that was pretty much the world I grew up in. A world that was SHOCKED when a famous kid-singer said he was more famous than Jesus Christ.

As to it just being lip-service? There is a lot more "lip service" today than I saw back then. A lot more, "Don't say that's wrong, just because its in the bible. You might hurt someone's feelings." A lot more talk about helping the poor, while waiting for United Way to do that for you.

Even if it was "just lip service," it was certainly a BETTER lip-service than what we have today. A world where people who prayed were respected was a better world than this world where people like Ozzie Osbourn is the example for our kids to follow. A world where "lip service" was 'respect God," instead of, a world that mocked people who respect God.

Today Christians are portrayed as buffoons, weirdo's, stupid, and uneducated.

That can't possibly be "better."

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We did not have "In God We Trust" on our money, or "Under God" in the pledge prior to that.
    </font>[/QUOTE]On the pledge issue, you are correct.
    ------
    On the money issue, it's not so clear.

" was found that the Act of Congress dated January 18, 1837, prescribed the mottoes and devices that should be placed upon the coins of the United States. This meant that the mint could make no changes without the enactment of additional legislation by the Congress. In December 1863, the Director of the Mint submitted designs for new one-cent coin, two-cent coin, and three-cent coin to Secretary Chase for approval. He proposed that upon the designs either OUR COUNTRY; OUR GOD or GOD, OUR TRUST should appear as a motto on the coins. In a letter to the Mint Director on December 9, 1863, Secretary Chase stated:
    I approve your mottoes, only suggesting that on that with the Washington obverse the motto should begin with the word OUR, so as to read OUR GOD AND OUR COUNTRY. And on that with the shield, it should be changed so as to read: IN GOD WE TRUST.
    The Congress passed the Act of April 22, 1864. This legislation changed the composition of the one-cent coin and authorized the minting of the two-cent coin. The Mint Director was directed to develop the designs for these coins for final approval of the Secretary. IN GOD WE TRUST first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin."

SOURCE

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then I guess long running shows like "Touched by an Angel" were simply a figment of my imagination?? And "The Passion of The Christ", "Jesus of Nazareth", "The Prince of Egypt" and "The Miracle Worker" were not about God at all?? Should I even begin to mention the upcoming "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe??"

But the bottom line is that you're using a single movie to litmus test society. I did not see GOd at all when I saw "Them", "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman", or "On the Waterfront".

Oh, yes, many of the same shows where the husband and wife slept in separate beds? Or where bathrooms had no toilets? Not normal at all.

I think it's safe to say that there are plenty of people whose life growing up in the 50's was more akin to West Side Story than Mayberry RFD.
    Have you seen some of the Christians today?? They seem to worship Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson more than they worship God. I think the biggest reason Christians today get so offended at comments about Christians is because many of those comments are, unfortunately, true. Perhaps we should learn to take criticism a bit better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Ah yes, the good old days. The 1950s.

Segregation in schools, restaurants, housing and public transportation. Women knew their place, and it wasn't outside the home. Polio ravaged children, crippling them for life. Innocent people were blackballed from their careers because of the red baiting McCarthy.

No thanks. Different decade, different problems.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Magnetic Poles,

While I think you make some valid points - I'm not sure you are not treading on some shakey ground in a few places.

For instance - women knew their place and it wasn't outside the home. Most Christians, as far as I know, believe a woman's MAIN concern should be God, and then her home. While we don't object to women working, we DO believe her first duty is NOT that job.

Your time line if off on Polio. [​IMG] By 1957 the vaccine was being given out in public schools.

People today are being blackballed for believing in Christ. Society just labels it with a nicer name tag. "Not a team player." "Too conservative".

Segregation has always been wrong. It always will be wrong. Christians lead the march to end it, and they started in the 1960's.

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a teen in the 50's, and things WERE different then.

Sure there was adultry, murders, homosexuality, drunks, etc., ad infinitum; but all these were frowned on by society.

Also there was none of this "you can't judge", or "truth is relative", or "God didn't mean---"!

Black was black, and white was white in moral issues; very little gray! If you partook of any of these sins, you tried your best to keep it IN THE CLOSET simply because society as a whole didn't condone or excuse.

If you parked downtown & went to a movie (affordable then [​IMG] ) & you forgot to lock the car doors, it was no big deal. Didn't get overly upset if you forgot to lock your house either. Didn't mind walking down a long dark street cause there was nobody waiting to mug or murder you.

Yes people were the same, sinners all, but there was a sense of morality that even the "un-godly" respected.

One of the most outstanding that I remember was in the barbershops. Usually several guys inside waiting either for their turn or their favorite barber & usually a shady joke or two being bandied about. Then the local Baptist or Methodist or whatever preacher walks in; first thing one of the barbers always did was to loudly greet him by "Hello Preacher---, how you doing today!

That, of course, was the cue to keep the conversations clean from that point on.

Hypocrites? Maybe, but still the office of GOD'S MAN was respected.

Are things different today from then---you betcha'; take it from one who's lived it!

The one aspect that I find superior today vs then, is that it's easier to spot a true bible believing Christian in the workplace now that the restraints are gone, than it was then when EVERYBODY wanted to appear "christian" even with a lack of belief!

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Just Want Peace - Well, I have to give you that last point. [​IMG]

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You just lost a fair amount of objective credibility.

10. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

JohnV,

Please be more careful when you quote. Magnetic Polies made the comment, "For instance, women knew their place and it wasn't outside the home."

I quoted them when I responded to it.

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

And my post was a bit of sarcastic hyperbole or something like that! [​IMG]

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I must apologize. The quote was clearly by another person and in the realm of sarcasm.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

You clarified: "Most Christians, as far as I know, believe a woman's MAIN concern should be God, and then her home. While we don't object to women working, we DO believe her first duty is NOT that job."

I agree, but I think that applies to both the husband and the wife. It is the duty of both the husband and wife to concern themselves first with God, then the home. A person's job should never take precidence over the home. Never.

13. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I agree with you regarding the husbands and wives, and jobs.