1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

America Under Judgment?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Nov 5, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are some folks saying that if John McCain had won yesterday that America would not be under God's judgment? Do they mean that one politician being elected would mean that America is not under God's judgment?

FTR, I disagree with such an idea that America is under God's judgment.

I am often surprised that some of my fellow Christians allow the currents and eddies of politics to decide whether they are happy to be an American or not.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You need to read the OP again.:BangHead: I did not say I knew the will and intentions of God other than I believe that He is Sovereign over all His Creation. I did ask if He would use Obama to judge this country. It is judgment, not judgement.

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I can say for certain that God does not want us to start unjust wars in which tens of thousands of innocent women and children are murdered.

4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

God also wants us to view every human being either born or unborn as precious and not to discriminate against them on the basis of race.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right he doesn't. And we haven't

6. OldRegular

I suggest that some people reread the OP.:BangHead: It does not say that this country is under judgment but merely poses the question: Could God use Obama as an instrument of judgment. From what is known about him, though he professes Christ, I believe he is anti God and anti American. He has a slick tongue though!:laugh: For one aspiring to be president and also a professing Christian to state that the beginning of life, both theologically and scientifically, is above his pay grade reveals either stupidity or complete callousness.

7. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

You are correct in that God does not want his children involved in unjust wars. However, we had an entire thread on the subject of Just War or Unjst War (with respect to the war in Iraq.) In that thread you utterly failed to demonstrate that the US is currently engaged in any unjst war based upon the age old bibilcal principles of Just War criteria. All you ended up doing is stating your personal opinion on the matter and elevating your personal experience and feelings as a source of authority over and above the authority of the whole counsel of the Scriptures regarding warfare. So let's not try to use the "unjust war" line of argument here. ;)

#27 Bible-boy, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're amazed that men know God?

A more accurate statement is that YOU don't know.

So, you would not want to be guilty of knowing God's heart and mind? I don't think you'd be accused of that.

His disciples, maybe. A man who knows God's ways and His laws will be a very good judge of God's motives and will for a certain situation.

Ecc. 8:5 Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing: and a wise man's heart discerneth both time and judgment.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make that God sent it. He prepared it, He nurtured and raised it up, and sent it.

It is stated plainly that the wicked are God's sword, Ps 17:13. America has been under the heavy hand of God's judgment for decades. Our families are broken, our children are murdered, we're in huge debt—not to ourselves, but to privately owned banks, and those that hate us rule over us.

In this election, God plainly set before America life and death, blessing and cursing. She chose death.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last time I checked John McCain did not win. Therefore, your statement is not valid.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What is the difference between "judgment" and "judgement?" They are the same word, two different spellings (but "judgment" is preferred).

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Nope. According to my spell checker "judgement" is a mis-spelled word. While judgment is spelled correctly.

I just looked on-line. "Judgement" is a variant. It must be one of those pesky British spellings! :)

#32 Bible-boy, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

More amicocentriism - is it offensive that I spell words the way English speakers do in Ireland and the UK? I didn't realise (apologies realize) that American spellings were required on this board.

#33 NaasPreacher (C4K), Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

As a disciple of God I also know that God uses hard times to bless and teach His people.

Do you really think that Ecc 8v5 teaches that those who do right will never experience evil? A lot of believers through the years have done right and suffered for it.

I discern that we should rejoice in the blessing of God in using times like this to draw men to Him.

How do you know which one of us is the 'wise man' in that passage.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course - He can use any leader for that and perhaps He has already started. After all. He didn't use Obama to get America in the mess she is in today.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said that is was presumptuous of men to discern God's will for a certain event. I said not only is not presumptuous, but expected of those who love God and know His law.

17. OldRegular

Sorry C4K, did not realize you were from the other side of the pond. Also my apologies to you Marcia. I realize there are different spelling of some words in the English language. Seems like I remember learning to spell potato potatoe like Dan Quale? did but its so far in the past I can't be sure.

Isn't it odd how these threads get side tracked into meaningless chatter sometimes?

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

As far as I'm concerned its not. I was only making a joke.:thumbs:

19. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Where I come from we always just spelt it "tater.":laugh:

#39 Bible-boy, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Oh I think most people usualy know the difference if God has blessed them or judged them. You mean you don't know the difference if your blessed or judged?