1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured American Baptist churches USA

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jeben, Nov 30, 2016.

1. jeben

jeben Member

Can the American Baptist churches USA denomination be considered a true baptist
    church ? Been going to one a few years now the only baptist church in our small town.
    Now they have a woman intrim pastor everyone just wants to hire her for full time pastor.
    Am thinking it's time to move on to another church which would be another denomination
    Really am a baptist at heart.

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I don't know whether ABC-USA can be considered a true baptist church, but I personally would not be a member of one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Baptist movement, there is no overarching "church" over the local churches. Each congregation is autonomous, although many churches choose to work together for common causes, ministries and interests.

Therefore, we cannot ever consider the "American Baptist churches USA denomination" a true Baptist church. It was never intended to be, never was, and is not now.

Baptist churches are free to call anyone they want to be a pastor without getting approval from anyone outside of their local congregation. Now that may cause them difficulties with any denominational connections and fellowship with other churches, but they don't (in theory) take their marching orders from other churches, nor impose their will upon other churches.

I don't know where you reside, but there may be alternative congregations in your region that will not have a female pastor, since that seems to be your conviction. I suggest using the internet to locate other Baptist churches in the region that may suit your theological convictions better than the church where you normally attend.

Just for perspective, female pastors within the Baptist movement are somewhat atypical, but they are not unheard of - even in theologically conservative churches.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ABC-USA tends to be a moderate to liberal denomination, generally. Specific churches might be more to the right or the left.

It reminds me of the United Methodist Church. You can find churches that operate very evangelically, and you can also find flaming liberal churches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for looking for another church. The name "Baptist" is not, in my opinion, a denominational name but rather a doctrinal identity. Many Bible churches, Community churches, etc., are the same doctrinally as most baptist churches. You might consider checking out a few of them if they are in your area.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with TCassidy. Don't just go by name but check out others that you might not be sure about. A few churches that I'm familiar with that are absolutely solid theologically are known as Generations Church, Restoration Church, Grace Church, Rock Church, Church on the Sound, Church at the Movies - you get the idea. :) So look around and you just might find a new church family!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do yo know those conservative Baptis churches to havd ordained female pastors? As I thought that was/is a real no no per the scriptures?

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not likely you are a conservative church and have a female pastor at the same time. That is like claiming to be a conservative but vote for Hillary. One tells on the other.

I think TCassidy hit the nail on the head.

(Don't tell anyone I said that)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good place to check out chuch is through their statement of Beliefs, and also speaking to Pastor...
    For there are both good and bad theology Baptist churches!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. We went to a Baptist church on vacation and the whole church was run by all women. Deacons, pastor, ushers - everyone were women. It was very odd.

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the ones in Denver are progressive and false churches loaded with false converts. Stay away!

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't quite be sure of what you are asking here, but yes, I do know some theologically conservative (biblically-oriented) churches that have ordained female pastors. My church currently has one staff member that is ordained. We have previously had two at one time. Our deacon body is open to women and we have a number of ordained female deacons. We have also ordained women to serve as ministers/pastors, missionaries, chaplains and other roles.

Our last pastor search committee considered the resumes of women, although the details of their work are confidential. We ended up with a man, but gender was not a strong consideration.

Lots of people would agree with you, but not all. For instance, E. Earle Ellis, a world-renown New Testament scholar, certainly believed, taught, and published that women are called to serve in Christian leadership, including the "senior pastor" position. He taught at Southwestern Theological Seminary (SBC) for a number of years at the pleasure of Dr. Paige Patterson, the current seminary president.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You hold to a false doctrine Baptist Believer. You need to read certain NT passages such as 1 Tim 2 and for the qualifications to be a elder or deacon 1 Tim 3.

However the one area we can agree on is I believe women can be open air street preachers but that's it! No authority to teach or preach in church.

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for calling me out. Now you can face the Lord on the Day of Judgement and truthfully say that you warned me of your convictions.

It is amazing that you assume I'm not familiar with scripture. It's not a matter of familiarity, it's a matter of interpretation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only one way to interpret scripture in this area.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll inform the rest of Christendom that you have declared the true meaning.

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. There is only one way to interpret Matthew 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

And:

Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Www.cmbw.org

19. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You somehow think I am unaware of the issues.

Dr. Paige Patterson, who has been a major advocate of the CMBW, apparently did not think there was only room for one viewpoint to the exclusion of all others. He had Dr. Ellis (who I referenced earlier) teach at his seminary. My view is strongly informed by Dr. Ellis as he was a member of our church and a family friend.

As an extremely conservative expositor of scripture, he made the case for women in ministry in his published works and his classes. It was only a small area of his work, but it was explicit and was used in classes at Dr. Patterson's seminary.

There are a number of scripturally-based viewpoints on the issue. We must study the scriptures for ourselves to determine what we believe we should do when women report that God is calling them into vocational ministry.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who cares. Mac is smarter than them and even wrote a book which I have on this topic. The bible is quite clear.