1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

American College of Pediatrics on teens and homosexuality. SURPRISE!!!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by annsni, Apr 15, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I found this amazing:

A news release from the American College of Pediatrics

<i>The American College of Pediatricians cautions educators about the management of students experiencing same-sex attraction or exhibiting symptoms of gender confusion. These concerns are outlined in a letter and fact sheet sent by College president Thomas Benton, MD, to all 14, 800 school district superintendents in the U.S. Dr. Benton also alerts them to a new Web resource, FactsAboutYouth.com, which was created by a coalition of health professionals to provide factual information to educators, parents, and students about sexual development.

“As pediatricians, our primary interest is in the health and well-being of children and youth,” Dr. Den Trumbull, Vice President of the College explains. “We are increasingly concerned that in too many instances, misinformation or incorrect assumptions are guiding well-intentioned educators to adopt policies that are actually harmful to those youth dealing with sexual confusion.”

The College reminds school superintendents that it is not uncommon for adolescents to experience transient confusion about their sexual orientation and that most students will ultimately adopt a heterosexual orientation if not otherwise encouraged. For this reason, schools should not seek to develop policy which “affirms” or encourages these non-heterosexual attractions among students who may merely be experimenting or experiencing temporary sexual confusion. Such premature labeling can lead some adolescents to engage in homosexual behaviors that carry serious physical and mental health risks.

There is no scientific evidence that anyone is born gay or transgendered. Therefore, the College further advises that schools should not teach or imply to students that homosexual attraction is innate, always life-long and unchangeable. Research has shown that therapy to restore heterosexual attraction can be effective for many people.

Optimal health and respect for all students can only be achieved within a school by first respecting the rights of students and parents to accurate information and to self-determination. It is the school’s legitimate role to provide a safe environment for respectful self-expression for all students. It is not the school’s role to diagnose or attempt to treat any student’s medical condition, and certainly not the school’s role to “affirm” a student’s perceived personal sexual orientation.</i>

From a letter to all superintendents of schools in the US:

<i>In light of these facts, it is clear that when well-intentioned but misinformed school personnel encourage students to “come
    out as gay” and be “affirmed,” 8 there is a serious risk of erroneously labeling students (who may merely be experiencing
    transient sexual confusion and/or engaging in sexual experimentation). Premature labeling may then lead some
    adolescents into harmful homosexual behaviors that they otherwise would not pursue. </i>

You can see a Fact Sheet about this subject.

What amazing information to fight the "Homosexuality is normal and genetic and we need to affirm those who feel attracted to their own gender." Praise God!

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Why is this thread allowed, despite the stern warning about threads on human sexuality being verboten?

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Kudos to the American College of Pediatrics! :thumbsup:

4. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

This is realistic, professional, and information which should be of interest to most persons who visit these forums. It is also encouraging information to many folks regardless of their moral position and is presented in a straight forward, non-judgemental and factual way.

It is extreme prudishness to consider that anyone capable of reading this information is either too immature to understand it or so emotionally disturbed as to consider it prurient.

As you may be the exception...... I wonder why?

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

As I have no idea what you are rambling about, I cannot answer. I am merely wondering why threads on homosexuality spring up like tulips in the spring, despite the board rules.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ditto...............

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Why your adversion MP? Again, I smell a rat.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

So we should not talk about sin and its harmful effects on people in the hope of educating people about the truth? Ignoring something won't make it go away. If anything, ignoring it gives the impression that we condone it.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This information needs to be crammed into the faces of the ACLU members and agenda-bearing lawyers who twist the arms of some of these schools.

High school principals just don't wake up one morning and say, "I think I'll start a rodeo club for gay students."

Thank goodness for the good and sound public schools who fight back and don't cave in to pressure.

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just an fyi that the American Board of Pediatrics is the licencing organization for Pediatricians in the US and the American Academy of Pediatrics is the main professional organization of Pediatricians in the US.

This American College of Pediatrics appears to be a smaller splinter Pediatric professional organization, apparently of Pediatricians with political and ethical views that are more in line with right-wing political views. Their position statements focus entirely on these issues on things like sexuality, abortion, corporal punishment, etc.

I'd say their documents probably have very little clout among pediatricians as a whole.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rebuttals to Just the Facts about Sexual Orientation and Youth

School Superintendents:

In 2008, you may have received a brochure entitled Just the Facts about Youth and Sexual Orientation,1published by the American Psychological Association (APA) and mailed to all public school superintendents in the United States. You need to know that this document is biased and grossly misleading. Just the Facts omits critical facts and makes recommendations that are refuted by decades of scientific research and extensive clinical experience. Most alarmingly, the recommendations offered will place young people at increased risk of grave psychological, emotional, and physical harm.

Below are various rebuttals to the Just the Facts document:

“NARTH Response to Just the Facts about Sexual Orientation and Youth” by National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality

“A Response to the APA Factsheet” by O’leary, Byrd, Fitzgibbons, & Phelan

“On the Promotion of Homosexuality in the Schools” by the American College of Pediatricians

"“The Truth about Sexual Orientation and Youth” by Liberty Counsel"

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Glad to see someone is doing some research on this.

13. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Actually, you might be surprised! You live in Australia? Around here.... many doctors (who have experience) consider most of these organizations a little removed from being a joke. Those who have participated in their organization realize that their hands are tied from the hierarchy which supposedly represents them. Here most of their leadership is involved in other interest... like teaching or research or administrative over a department: Few are acquainted with actual private practice and how to run one... and few spend hours in direct patient care. Many practicing physicians also subscribe to other publications and groups so that they are better informed instead of having to drink the kool-aid of a political and corporate controlled group and publication.