1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by KeeperOfMyHome, Jan 27, 2007.

1. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Has anyone read this book? What are you thoughts on it? Is it anti-Christian? pro-Christian? middle of the road? Before buying it, I sure would appreciate an honest review.

Thanks!

Julia

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not read that particular book. However I doubt, considering the author, that it is "antiChristian". I suppose the message of the book is not going to be "all the founders where Christians" and, to be honest, it should not be since all of them were not. In fact I would assert that neither Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, nor Madison were Christians. Washington, in my opinion, may have been. Then there are men who were Christians such as John Jay, Patrick Henry, and maybe even Alexander Hamilton. However I have not read the particular book you are refering to myself. I don't know how a book on the founders could be "proChristian" so I am not sure what you mean by that. A book you could look into, that I have read, is "The Faiths of The Founders" by David Holmes. Depending upon your level of interest in this subject you may also want to look into Edwin Gaustad's books "Sworn on The Altar of God" which is a religious biography of Thomas Jefferson (great book) and maybe "Faith of the Founders". You could also look into a good source book called "The Founders On Religion". This book is a collection of their statements/writings on various religious topics. A good one-stop shop for information on this subject. The downside to a work like this is that you don't get good context (etc) and it is not complete in its coverage. However it does a good job of giving the reader an idea of where the founders themselves stood on various religious issues. I don't know that those books are either "proChristian" or "antiChristian", they are good histories on this particular subject.

Hope that helps you out!

#2 Martin, Feb 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2007
  3. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Thanks for your reply and input. I think what I was/am most concerned about is whether this book slammed the thought that some of our founders were Christians or that our nation was built on some Biblical principals. I just hate ordering a book online that I've not had the opportunity to preview.

Thanks again!

Julia