1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amillennialism Debate -Part Three

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by DeafPosttrib, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    tb - agree. So those falsely claiming amil theology is biblical should apologize to everyone for their error? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, calling someone a "darbyite" is insulting. Don't do it. WE are not changing "inform" into "insult"; YOU are insulting by using a term we have asked you not to use.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Great post trailblazer. It is also worth noting what Walvoord teaches concerning the supposed earthly millennial reign.

Walvoord writes in Major Bible Prophecies that David will reign as coregent with Jesus Christ in the millennial kingdom. He writes [page 393] “Though many have tried to explain away this passage [Ezekiel 37:24-25], it obviously requires the second coming of Christ, the establishment of David’s kingdom on earth, the resurrection of David, and David’s sharing the throne of Israel as coregent with Christ.”

I don't know but that seems to be a little heretical to me. Man coregent with God! That is about as far as the RCC has gone with Mary!

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man reigning with God? YOU BETCHA!!

"Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years."

Allegorize that away, my friends! [​IMG]

ps - don't use "heretical" or we will begin applying it to amil . .

4. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

QUOTE BY DR. BOB....tb - agree. So those falsely claiming amil theology is biblical should apologize to everyone for their error? [​IMG] [​IMG] ...END QUOTE

This speaks for itself. I mistakenly used that tongue sticking out icon once and apologized for it. You used it intentionally.

The moderator DHK is denying that he turned our "informing" and "challenging" posts into insults. We are owed an apology.

5. OldRegular

There is a vast difference between historic premillennialism and dispensationalism, though dispensationalists apparently choose to ignore it. Furthermore, I have never called someone a Darbyite unless I thought he espoused the false doctrine of the removal of the Church prior to the so- called GRReat TRribulation.

Obviously I totally disagree with your assertion that amillennialism is the weakest of the eschatological doctrines. It is the historic Baptist docrine, along with some postmillennialists such as B. H. Carroll.

Furthermore, I notice that you, and I assume all the moderators, endured, with much suffering I suppose, the continued insults by DD, EE, and others and took no action until the word Darbyite was used. I also notice there has been no public rebuke of anyone except trailblazer and me! :confused:

6. OldRegular

Simple. The deceased Saints are reigning with Jesus Christ in Heaven at the present time awaiting the Second Coming. That is the doctrine of most amillennialists though some believe it refers to the reign of the Church on earth. However, there is a vast difference between what Walvoord claims and the way pre mills interpret Revelation 20:4. Walvoord's claim is akin to the claim by the RCC regarding Mary.

7. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

[previous post by Larry;..." And there was certainly no need to stick your tongue out at me."]

Trailblazers response to that post?..." Actually, I will apologize for the "tongue" icon - but with an honest explanation. When I selected it, there was no tongue visible - just a smiley icon. Honestly! Human mistake only!”

[previous post by Larry…”WE are not changing "inform" into "insult";]

Another double standard here? So, is intentionally demeaning legitimate and no apologeties necessary for Pastors?

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Simple. The deceased Saints are reigning with Jesus Christ in Heaven at the present time awaiting the Second Coming. That is the doctrine of most amillennialists though some believe it refers to the reign of the Church on earth. However, there is a vast difference between what Walvoord claims and the way pre mills interpret Revelation 20:4. Walvoord's claim is akin to the claim by the RCC regarding Mary. </font>[/QUOTE]Sooooo, exactly what are they ruling over in heaven? and why 1000 years?

Tread-softly with sentences like your last one. You may be lucky since I don't know what Walvoord claims.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Quote me. Stop making false accusations without proof. I warned you to stop callying pre-tribbers Darbyites, and "informed" you that by doing so you were "insulting" most people on the Board (including Dr. Bob as you can now see). I did not insult you when I gave you an illustration. I will say it again. "Two wrongs do not make a right." Do you disagree with that?
    DHK

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Now that I've had the A-mil positions explained, I can see where it is quite weak. I'm going to study this more, but from what I've read, it appears to be twisting scripture around to make it read they way you want it to. IMHO.

11. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Dr Bob,

A-mil is the weakest of the four views of eschatology, the least biblical, and associated only with the most liberal of Baptists.

Amill is in no wise a "weak view". It is in fact the view of some of the most astute and often conservative reformed (and even RCC) scholars.

It is a view which assumes a nonliteral hermeneutic for parts of the Bible - and that scares alot of conservatives away.

In my opinion any eschatology that involves a "rapture" is weak - but I will admit that is my opinion.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Allegorize it away. No kingdom - he is just talking about 1000 reign of nowhere, totally unrelated to 1000 promises of a literal kingdom, just floating around heaven.

Right. :rolleyes:

(BTW, the [​IMG] [​IMG] is a way of showing humor in a most. It is NOT a bad thing; it is a good thing. Don't confuse THAT along with your theology!! ;) [​IMG] [​IMG] )

13. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

ANY PASTOR THAT INTENTIONALLY STICKS HIS TONGUE OUT AT ANONE FOR ANY REASON SHOULD NOT BE IN THE PULPIT IF HE HASN'T GOT THE COURAGE TO APOLOGIZE FOR IT!

14. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

OH HOW YOU TWIST IT AROUND! IT WASN'T FUNNY WHEN I MISTAKENLY POSTED IT AND IT WASN'T MEANT TO BE FUNNY IN THE ABOVE POST! YOU MAY CALL YOURSELF "THE BOSS" IN A PRIVATE MESSAGE BUT PASTORS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ABOVE THAT KIND OF CHILDISH BEHAVIOR.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only "scholars" that I have ever dealt with who hold the amil position (those who cannot accept a literal hermeneutic but must allegorize all the kingdom promises into some "spiritual" realm) are EVERY Roman Catholic, EVERY Jehovah Witness (not kidding) and the VERY liberal Christians.

That is my frame of reference and why I wonder the 3-4 here on the BB are making such a deal about it. That is really BAD company.

Now, I've known and read many POST mil and PRE mil/post trib who have much stronger arguments and a decent hermeneutic.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Bob says [​IMG] [​IMG]

You are on the way out, trailblazer. Can you not learn to control your mouth?

Icons (smilies/graemlins) are shown to LESSEN the tension, to make posts more enjoyable, to see emotions. The "tongue-sticking" is NOT an evil thing.

Grow up. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. trailblazer

trailblazer New Member

[quote by Larry...] "Icons (smilies/graemlins) are shown to LESSEN the tension, to make posts more enjoyable, to see emotions. The "tongue-sticking" is NOT an evil thing....Grow up." [end quote]

I think people can figure out things for themselves that there is a double standard here.

18. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

DR Bob,

Well Amill baptists may have some bad company - but that has nothing to do with those of us who arrive there by sound theology.

Consider G.K. Beale, Anthony Hoekema, and Richard Bauckham - top notch scholars.

Consider Raymond Brown and Joseph Fitzmyer. Yes they are RCC but ask any NT protestant scholar if they are not men of impeccable scholarship.

Amill is NOT a WEAK position. It is entirely cogent given the Biblical as well as salient extrabiblical writings.

It does however part ways with the literalist hermeneutic, which is itself a product of human preference. Thus it is automatically seen as unpalatable to those who have, a priori, decided that they are literalists, before examining whether or not the literalist hermeneutic is the best. Amill is the most consistent position if one has a thorough knowledge of biblical theology (not just the works of other literalists).

So it is a NONLITERALIST position, but not a weak one. Your dismissal of Amill is no more valid than my dismissal of rapturist theology.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right, Charles. We can look at a position, consider it ludicrous, and move on.

You did that with the rapture; I do it with amil.

I study and debate and enjoy the nuances of the pre-mil/pre-trib
    pre-mil/post-trib
    post-mil

I blow off as not worthy of another thought the ludicrous notions of the a-mil. That's my right and that's why, until the epithets started flying, I didn't even bother with these threads.

Figured 3-4 posters here can ramble on about it just fine. Won't bother me and maybe it will be cathartic for them! ;)

20. Jules

Jules New Member

It is interesting that Paul calls gentile Christians in Galatia the Israel of God and warns them not to succumb to the judaizers who would them be circumcised.