1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amish

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Apr 29, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering the some total of the spiritual, financial, and other important areas of the American culture of today, do the Amish have it right?

They are self and community independent.

They are free from nearly all "laws" of the state considering their own statues override any law that is not for health and safety - even then they put limits on compliance.

They are generally unaffected by the American problems that plague the US.

They really are somewhat libertarian/tea party thinking when it comes to outside influence infecting the home.

Do the Amish have it right - or at least more prepared for the future suffering that is coming?

Are they really the original "preppers?"

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Societaly, they are at least as well off as any other group of people. Make no mistake, I'm sure they have their problems, family disputes, and what-not, but strictly speaking of their lifestyle, they have spared themselves some of the troubles of the general public. So, if our calling is to isolate ourselves from the world, they have done as good as anyone.

However, Spiritually; I don't know that they have the right approach. It seems they are short on mercy, liberty, and it also seems their strict rules actually go agianst some scriptures. I am not a amish expert, but I'm not even sure if they actually would believe the same gospel that is commonly presented in Baptist churches. Do they believer certain works are required for salvation? (I don't know, I'm just asking).

I believe Jesus warned about those who would try to produce spiritual good through physical rule-keeping.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Amish consider it prideful that one would "know they are saved."

Each group is gathered around an ordnung which regulates the group and which the "bishop" uses to help gauge the living in that group.

The bishops declare the Scriptures and what is spiritual, and generally there is little resistance to the bishop's rules.

They are "plain" in all manner of living.

However, I have not met an Amish that isn't friendly nor willing to speak of the things of Christ provided that the "Englisher" is polite, humble and unoffensive in their manner of speaking and body language.

They have some of the best eating food that I have EVER tasted!!!