1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amtrak

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Jun 15, 2009.

?
  1. I have, and I will again when possible

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. I have, and never again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have not - but I would like to

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. I have not, and I would never

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. I have - but its not big deal either way

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. I have not and I'm not sure

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Other answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Only if I ride with Joe Biden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever taken a ride on AMTRAK ?

The main hint - when riding on a train overnight, make sure you bring a blanket with you!

#1 Salty, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

I wanted to ride from Fort Worth to Chicago a few years ago, but the cost of traveling by rail vs. the cost of flying made it completely impractical. The cost for me to fly was about $200 and I would only spend half my day getting to a from Chicago. The train would take over 24 hours and the cost for just a seat (not a compartment or berth) was nearly $850. I didn't see the point of burning two entire days of vacation (both there and back) sitting upright in a seat and paying more than four times the cost of flying for the privilege.

If I had a lot of free time and money to burn, I'd travel coast to coast as an adventure, but I don't have much of either at this point in my life.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last year, I went from Syr to Orlando for $250 round trip!

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Once when I was a kid, we traveled from Chicago to ky, it was that summer cheaper then greyhound. And if I had a chance I'd do it again.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've only taken one trip on Amtrak, from Dallas to Little Rock. The best part is that it's a 'smooth' ride with a gentle rocking motion. But that, plus that the seats are large and comfortable compared to an airplane or a bus, is about all the attraction, for me. For some reason I had thought that a train trip would go through a lot of good scenery, but that wasn't the case. When going through towns and cities, it's about the worst parts you see-- presumably because railroads are 'old' now, so they pass through the old parts. And when going through the country, it's no different from going by car on the highways.

The timing/scheduling is bad. My train was over an hour late (by the printed schedule), but more seasoned passengers waiting knew all about that while I didn't-- you should assume it will be well late. And a major reason, of course, is that Amtrak trains must yield to freight trains on the main line, and thus they often have to go on a spur to wait for the freight to pass. This is because when Amtrak was first created, by the railroads giving up their passenger cars and assets to form it in 1971 (passenger service had become a money-loser for Union Pacific, Santa Fe, et al), part of the agreement was that freight trains would have the right-of-way in cases where one train had to go on a spur and yield. But even with all the should-be-expected delays, the longest one on my trip was after 10 p.m., some kind of mechanical problem; there was some announcement, but I don't recall if they mentioned just what it was. Anyways, we sat there immobile for an hour and a half. I had already been to the dining car (you are assigned a time), or that long wait would have been better. So, by schedule the train was due in Little Rock (I think) about 10:30 p.m., and it was about 1 a.m. when I arrived. The trip back was in daylight hours and without incident compared to the first leg-- just the usual hour or so late by schedule.

To sum it up... Amtrak takes as long or longer than a bus, and costs as much or more than an airplane. A comfortable seat and a comforting ride, by comparison, just doesn't make up for the time and cost, if those are important to you. But, it is worth experiencing, and if time and money are not such a factor, it should be a good "adventure."

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd be a quick and convienent hop to Washington from Philly 'cept the cost is prohibitive.

It's far cheaper to drive and pay the tolls, gas and parking.

AND ...the thought of bumping into Joe on the run frightens me. :smilewinkgrin:

Rob

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I've been on dozens of trains, both in the U.S. and overseas. I've been in Coach and had the overnight cars with pull down beds (those are better).

I love riding trains! However, one time when riding with my son from DC to Atlanta, there was a bomb threat. The train stopped in a rural area and they pulled us off in the wee hours; we stood out in the snow and then had to take buses to a school where we slept on the floor! It was awful! But some women from the farms came and fed us at breakfast, which was nice.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love riding trains, here in the States or anywhere. The longest train ride I took was about 36 hours in China, from Kunming to Qulin. The shortest train ride I've taken was from Prague to Karlstein to see the castle there.

When I travel to Vermont to see my brother-in-law I always go by train. Even with a two hour layover in NYC the train is faster than driving, and a lot safer. Not only that, but I arrive rested and relaxed.

The nicest train I have ridden was from Salzburg, Austria to Kagreb, Croatia. It was a new German train and, wow, was it nice.

I almost froze on a train from Beijing to Xi'an in 1986. No heat and it was COLD. But China is such a fascinating country that I enjoyed the scenery anyway.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I haven't really had the need to, but think it should be available.

10. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd love to do it again! Rode only once, as a child. A terminal is within an hour drive from our home and I've been trying to convince my husband to take an Amtrak to DC. No luck yet ...

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You tell him to call me, I'll set him straight :smilewinkgrin:

12. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, I'm Amtraking to DC!! Thanks Salty!!!!!!!! :wavey:

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell you what, next year, I may go to the SBC in Orlando. I'll meet you and hubby in DC and we'll all travel together to Fla.

Anybody else want to join us?

Salty

14. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WhooHoo! Who else is in? [​IMG]

15. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd be more afraid of running into Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg.

16. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every now and then, we'll take AMTRAK to New York, but really, New Jersey Transit is about 1/3 the price and you get there in the same amount of time.

Last year, my mother drove from here to Florida, stopping along the way. Coming back, she realized it would be too hard to drive straight through so she called me and asked me to fly down and help her drive back. My wife, being a good sport and knowing that I was under a lot of pressure, let me.

It had been thirty years since I'd traveled on AMTRAK and I kept thinking it was like taking the Metroliner, where you find a couple of empty seats and stretch out. It wasn't. The train was packed and all seats are reserved.

I was so uncomfortable that I actually slipped the conducter a couple of bucks to let me sleep in the dining car after it closed.

In retrospect, it was really stupid not to fly.