1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amusing ourselves to death

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by thjplgvp, Jan 5, 2007.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Has anyone read this book? Amusing Ourselves To Death by Neil Postman.
    Penguin books

If so what are your thoughts on it?

thjplgvp

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I had not heard of it before but I sure agree with the title. I read through the excerpt on Amazon and found it curious that it was written in the '80s. I wonder if he has an update now that XBox, Playstations and home theaters are the rage. Huxley's Brave New World and Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 hit on these issues pretty good.

AMU''SE, v.t. s as z. [Gr. and L. musso.]

1. To entertain the mind agreeably; to occupy or detain attention with agreeable objects, whether by singing, conversation, or a show of curiosities. (Webster's 1828)​

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Rufus,

The book I was given by my son at Christmas has a section entitled "An introduction to the 20th century" written by Neil's son Andrew. It seems senior passed away 2003. He does talk about the differences between Orwell and Huxely and says that he leans toward Huxley being more correct than Orwell.

thjplgvp

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not read the whole book yet, but I think his premise is right on. we have so many more options for entertainment/relaxation than ever, yet we are getting more bored than ever. We seem to be in a continual search for a greater thrill than the one we had last weekend. At what point is it too much? That may vary from person to person, but I believe we are close to the point of overload. Sometimes I think we just need to step back and have a technology free weekend.