1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Amy Grant and LGBT

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Shadowlands, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was disappointed when I heard Amy Grant consented to an interview with a LBGT
    magazine Pridesource back on 23 April 2013. In that interview she said she never
    had a whole lot of exposure to the LGBT crowd, until she met s few of them at her
    concerts over the years. She also said it was there she found out about her LBGT
    fan base since she was 18.

At one point, Amy said she was asked to perform at a homosexual wedding of one of
    her fans, but declined because of scheduling conflicts.

She describes how she was not only raised in a conservative Christian household,
    When she went on tour, she describes how her views on LGBT people have changed
    to a more accommodating stand.

She said: "I know that the religious community has not been very welcoming, but I just
    want to stress that the journey of faith brings us into community, but it's really about one
    relationship. The journey of faith is just being willing and open to have a relationship with
    God. And everybody is welcome."

End quote.

The magazine went on to point out (wishful thinking) that if Amy continues on her journey
    for LGBT people, she will be in good company. In recent years, the magazine went on, more
    and more Christian artists have proclaimed support for LGBT equality. In 2012, American Idol
    champion Carrie Underwood voiced her support for marriage equality. Jennifer Knapp, a popular
    Christian Contemporary Singer, came out of the closet in 2010. Knapp has started a non-profit
    "Christian" ministry called Inside Out Faith. Chely Wright's documentary "Wish me Away" was
    nominated for a GLAAD media award. They are also joined by evangelical pastor's Rob Bell and
    Jim Wallis.

2. Baptist Brother

Baptist Brother Active Member

I realized Amy Grant wasn't the deal deal when she sang a duet, something about falling in love again with someone else. A song about a desire to commit adultery. And, eventually she did divorce her husband. She was never anything but a Christian by convenience, not faith. The moral and Christian position on homosexuality is no longer publicly acceptable, so Amy Grant did what was convenient.

Amy Grant said, "The journey of faith is just being willing and open to have a relationship with
    God. And everybody is welcome." When it comes to homosexuals, Christians on the Left chant "everybody is welcome". But those who welcome homosexuals don't welcome faithful Christians, or even anyone associated with faithful Christians, such as Trump now is.

3. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The song you're referring to is "The Next Time I Fall In Love" with non-Christian
    Peter Cetera (1986). I saw the video, with it's "dreamy" atmosphere, and Amy
    wearing very tight jeans, seated semi-provocatively. My senior Pastor and his
    wife saw that, and he said: "It's the way of the world, and sooner or later this
    was bound to happen."

Youth Pastor's from all over the country had some difficulty explaining this to their
    youth groups.

4. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As a supplemental, after 16 years of marriage when she divorced Gary Chapman
    in March 1999, she claimed Gary was a drug addict. I don't know about that. Amy
    wasn't a paragon of virtue herself. Before the final decree, Amy was secretly dating
    Vince Gill, while the two were still married. Vince to Janis Gill. Sooner or later the
    floor would come crashing down when Janis discovered love notes in Vince's golf
    bags...from Amy.

That's all I have to say about that.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing is that indeed all sinners will have the messageof the Cross given to them, but we also have to state that once saved, have to agree with God that active alternate lifestyles are sin, just as singles having sex outside marriage would be!
    Hear and read many saying God still loves you, and Jesus will save you, not much though on living as we ought once saved!

#5 Yeshua1, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  7. Baptist Brother

Baptist Brother Active Member

I don't know any details of drug addiction. But, drug addiction is not biblical grounds for divorce. It's not even secular grounds, per se, for divorce. From what I read, the divorce was all about Amy Grant's adultery and her own decision to leave the marriage for another man.

I don't believe Christians should support celebrities, especially those trying to make money from Christians, who provide an example of unrepentant immorality. Even more so, some of her songs were incompatible with Christianity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just shows how to put trust in te Lord, as thoe in places such as entertainers face pressures liek many of us will not, as Sany patti divorced/remarried believe, and ay boltz dicorced after 30+ yeas to become gay...