1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Alternative Future for Halloween

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Oct 31, 2015.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Halloween is here to stay. As a Christian, if you have problems with it OK, but it's not going away. Here is an idea for Halloween.

Have Congress name the last Friday of October be designated as Halloween. This means it will no longer by on October 31st, (unless that date falls on a Friday.) This would not be a national holiday, no one would get the day off of work or school, but would just bring uniformity to Halloween each year.

Here's my reasoning.

1. Parents with little kids won't have Halloween fall on the eve of a school night. That means that Halloween won't be interrupting school homework. A possible conflict would be Friday night football games or other school activities, but then kids would have to make a choice--play sports or go trick-or-treating. This conflict would cause many kids to not prioritize Halloween.

2. It would be best to have Congress do this before Wiccans, Satanists, and other worshipers of the Dark clamor to have their own national Holiday. Can you hear them? "Why do Christians get to have Christmas Day as a national holiday? We want our own holiday set aside for our deity (deities?)" If Halloween were set to be the last Friday of October every year, Congress could use the excuse that they've already dealt with Halloween and they aren't going to entertain other ideas.

3. Halloween would only fall on the night before All Saints Day a few times per century, instead of falling on the night before All Saints Day every year, as it does now. For example, for the rest of the 21st century October 31 would only fall on a Friday in years 2025, 2031, 2042, 2053, 2059, 2070, 2081, 2087, and 2098. This is sure to make Wiccans and Satanists angry since their "celebrations" on Halloween night won't precede All Saints Day very often.

4. Adults who imbibe could go out and celebrate Halloween on Friday night and not have to worry about, ahem, not feeling the greatest when having to go to work the next day.

So, what about it? Do you like the idea of moving Halloween to Friday every year?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd prefer putting it on Saturday. But I don't do Halloween, so y'all do whatever.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would prefer leaving it alone. It is a world wide holiday, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed believers.

Allhallowtide includes All Hallows' Eve (Hallowe'en), All Saints' Day (All Hallows' Day) and All Souls' Day. It has been celebrated from October 31st through November 2nd for around 1400 years having its roots as far back as the burial of Stephen after his martyrdom, honoring the Christian dead who gave their lives for Christ.

Trick or treating is strictly an American phenomenon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see that there would be a benefit to changing it, but I am a traditionalist...even though it has been secularised.