1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured An amateur's adventures in Greek.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rob_BW, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, while the whole process seemed quite intimidating, during these past few weeks I finally got the ball rolling on my plan to learn New Testament Greek.

But first, let me thank everyone that gave me advice when I posted a topic expressing my desire last year.

With the advice I received here, I procured a copy of the UBS5 Reader's Edition and a 3rd edition of Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek. For my phone, I also downloaded a free Greek Letters app and paid 2 bucks for a Biblical Greek Flashcards app that groups Mounce's (and a number of other texts) word lists. I have to complain a bit about the flashcards, though, as there is no way to randomize them, so it's the same order every time.

And so far, I am having a blast. The app helped me memorize the alphabet quicker than I had hoped, and the flashcards are making memorizing the vocabulary fairly easy, too. Of course, the first few word lists are heavy with words with English cognates and proper names, so that may also be a factor on the early ease.

My main stumbling block, if you will, is work. And not that I am low on time, because who isn't? But rather, I'm attending training right now, so my evenings for the next three weeks are pretty much filled with studying for A+ and Net+ certification. Work itself is one thing, but cramming for certs and memorizing Greek at the same time is a bit difficult for me.

But, I'm following Mounce's advise, and picking up my Bible every night. And even if I can't get through much, I am still surprising myself by what I can decipher. This endeavor has definitely put a smile on my face.

Now, my next concern, since I'm not in a classroom, is pronunciation. I'm getting ready to install Mounce's Flashworks, with the Greek sound files. But I would also like to ask if anyone has any videos or lecture series that they would recommend. I haven't scanned all through youtube/itunes yet, and I thought about checking to see which school's use Mounce before I go digging.

And again, to everyone here, thanks for the advice and support.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I don't have any allusions that I will become as adept as some oc the pros around here. But it has breathed new life into my Bible study, and when I'm reading through an article or book delves into Greek and textual criticism, I can see where my knowledge base is growing.

I believe we're all familiar with the phrase "Knows just enough to be dangerous." I just want to make sure that I get past that point.
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alo, thre are biblesoftware programs such as Bibleworks and Accordane tha can let you study and learn at a faster pace, as they tie te texts and tools together for you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of the story believe J Vernon Mcgee liked to tell, how he knew the minister just grduated Seminary, as he would spend whole hour of his messag explain how John in prologue was telling us Jesus was God!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to Philosophy and Christian Thought lectures from Reformed Theological Seminary on itunes. So I went hunting for Greek lectures.

Dallas Theological Seminary has uploaded their Elements of Greek course, and they use the text that I've purchased.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/course/elements-of-greek-i/id592135221

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How much difference is tha from the Bill Mounce site?

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't worry too much about pronunciation. No one really knows how the 1st century Greeks pronounced things. Some teachers recommend modern Greek pronunciation as the way to go, and others use some other scheme. Therefore, I rarely correct my students in this area.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We would all be shocked to have heard Jesu speaking in his ntive Aramiac probably!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the tip.

You had me eyeing Black's text for a long time; it took me too long to choose one.

11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll probably listen to my first DTS lecture this weekend. I watched the first Mounce on youtube, but it was my understanding that the full series was not available for free.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure Mounce will be good for you. Work hard and enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think of the Grammar by Dr Wallace?

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His intermediate one is hard to use for me. His advanced one is quite good. I don't think he has a beginning grammar, does he?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the Greek Grammar beyond the basics one, believe that he has a smaller edition o fthat also!
    Still have the ole AT Robertson big Grammar ofthe Greek about 1300 pages rarely ever used!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have also used the shorter Grammar from AT Robertson, as they is much more condised than his big door stopper grammar!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for flash cards, MBBC back in the day used blank card stock tags. We'd string them on metal rings like where used to organize papers. The act of writing the words out helps to memorize them.

• Like Like x 2
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, the smaller one is The Basics of NT Syntax. It's actually an intermediate grammar.
    I've used that down through the years for the stickiest problems. It's not for the faint, beginners, or those with weak arms. There ought to be a warning on the cover to do some weightlifting before using it. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have that shorter Robinson grammar also, but never have used it that much.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had the paper edition of that monster, now use software edition, as much easier to use with hypr linking to theGreek NT... and also does not make my hand tired lifting and holding it!
    Just curious, what advancements in understanding NT greek lacking in that big grammer of his?