1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Answer To Alcoholic Beverages

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by His Blood Spoke My Name, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

So HBSMN, why aren't you evangelizing any of us since we're not saved?

Show a little bit of Christ's love to the lost.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I was paraphrasing.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

:laugh:

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya' know, I wasn't all that interested in this thread until now, but I would like to hear HBSMN's answer too.

5. His Blood Spoke My Name

You would have to purpose to become drunk?

Well, guess what, as soon as they drink it it begins to take control. It travels through the blood stream to the brain attacking nerve cells. They lose control over faculties before they even realize it.

#105 His Blood Spoke My Name, Jun 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To say that "wine" is "not alcoholic" is laughable. How many verses must one see that speak of "temperance" and "moderation" before one realizes that wine falls into that category.

If one opts to "abstain" so as never to violate the Scriptural prohibition against drunkenness, God bless them. I consider them "weaker brethren" and personally would not drink alcohol in front of them.

Except, of course, at communion. The ONLY non-leavened wine is "wine". Grape juice (a modern invention by Rev Welch to change the 1800+ year practice of communion wine into some vile "juice") is full of leaven.

Think the Jews or Jesus drank LEAVEN at Passover? :laugh:

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I've made this point several times. I don't know why it doesn't sink in. Grapes are covered in natural yeast and mold, which is why it ferments. Some of the natural mold even contributes to its flavor as wine, so it's called "noble rot". Raw grape juice contains all the live yeast and mold, which is leaven. It's only when the alcohol from fermentation kills off the leaven that the wine becomes "pure". At that point you can add water without corrupting the wine.

You can boil down grape juice until it becomes a syrup, then add water to the syrup, but even that will ferment if you leave it out.

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

There is no scripture that specifially states that Jesus drank wine--Jesus does say:

But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom. (Matthew 26:29)

Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God. (Mark 14:25)

The fruit of the vine is not fermented wine. In Luke 7:34, it does not state that Jesus was drinking wine--all it says is that "the Son of Man is come eating and drinking..." The Pharisees were accusing Him of being a glutton and a winebibber. However, He refuted their accusations in the next verse when He said "wisdom is justified of all her children".

The definition of fermentation from the Webster's 1828 Dictionary:

FERMENTA'TION, n. L. fermentatio. The sensible internal motion of the constituent particles of animal and vegetable substances, occasioned by a certain degree of heat and moisture, and accompanied by an extrication of gas and heat. Fermentation is followed by a change of properties in the substances fermented, arising from new combinations of their principles. It may be defined, in its most general sense, any spontaneous change which takes place in animal or vegetable substances, after life has ceased. It is of three kinds, vinous, acetous, and putrefactive. The term is also applied to other processes, as the panary fermentation, or the raising of bread; but it is limited, by some authors, to the vinous and acetous fermentations, which terminate in the production of alcohol or vinegar. Fermentation differs from effervescence. The former is confined to animal and vegetable substances; the latter is applicable to mineral substances. The former is spontaneous; the latter produced by the mixture of bodies.

According to that definition, fermentation is decomposition and decay. Now tell me, would Jesus turn water into a decomposed and dead substance as fermented wine? I think not. Fermented wine is "dead fruit".

The bait may be enticing, but this fish isn't biting.

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalms 139:23-24)

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

See here is another deceiving remark by MacArthur. 'A beleiever is forbidden to be habitually drunk'. That is completely in disregard for the Word of God.

Paul did not say 'Be not habitually drunk with wine...' He said 'Be not drunk with wine.'

Bet I can find more lies in that message that are tickling people's ears.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Very convenient of you to quote from the 1828 dictionary, when they didn't understand the specifics behind decomposition. In the case of wine, the living yeast (leaven, symbol of corruption) in the grape juice eats the sugar (it has to be alive to eat), which produces alcohol, which kills the yeast and purifies the wine. That is the process of decomposition, which is called fermentation.

Next time quote from a dictionary written when people understood something about microbiology. I can quote from sources that say the world is flat, too, but that won't help me make a valid point.

#110 npetreley, Jun 20, 2007
  11. His Blood Spoke My Name

It is not ok for her to use a dictionary from the 1800's, yet you want to make reference to a man from the 1800's... Mr Welch?

A careful study of the process that Welch used in pasteurization will show that the same process was done in ancient times.

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

ho hum.....still waiting.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

HBSMN,

did you answer this one? if so I missed it...

14. standingfirminChrist

It is portraying a different Jesus than the one my Bible declares to be sinless.

I guess you will have to wait and find out for yourself.

I would not want to take the chance myself that I might be following a wrong christ.

It is up to each of us to Study the Scripture and to conform ourselves to the image of God's dear Son. If we are conformed to the image of another, we will not be accepted.

If one believes in a Sinless Jesus, then they would believe in the one that my Bible says did not drink wine.

And it is wrong to say those who follows the Biblical command to abstain from wine "weaker brethren". It is not that we are weak, but that we are made strong through Christ and His Word.

Abstinence is a command, not a weakness.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Where does your Bible say that Jesus did not drink wine?

I need to leave this thread. I believe in total, absolute, unequivocal abstainance. I believe that the Bible gives enough evidence that even one drink is unwise, but some of the arguments posted here just don't make any biblical sense to me.

And this is probably what - the 100th or so thread on this topic?

#115 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 20, 2007
  16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Even if Jesus didn't drink wine (the alcoholic kind), He sure hung around a lot of people who did. I don't recall Him rebuking people for this. He told the adulteress to go and sin no more, but I don't remember reading where He told someone who was drinking wine to go and sin no more.
    Have I missed this?

17. His Blood Spoke My Name

Jesus did much more than was recorded in the Bible, Amy. Much, much more.

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm not Amy, (cause I have a beard :laugh: :laugh:) but I do agree with this. However deciding what that was is entirely speculation, as Scripture does not declare what it was, only that it happened. (Jo. 20:30, 21:25)

Ed

19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Nobody has ever denied that Jesus was sinless.

I'm still waiting for the answer, yet nobody seems to be bold enough to declare that they think anyone who thinks Jesus made or possibly drank alcoholic wine is not saved. If I thought that, I wouldn't be bold enough to make such outlandish, unbiblical accusations myself.

Still waiting.

20. standingfirminChrist

Amy,

There is nowhere in the New Testament that says Jesus hung around those who drank alcoholic wine. As a matter of fact, since the Scriptures testify of Jesus (John 5:39), one can only come to the conclusion that Jesus never hung around those who drank alcohol.

How do I know?

Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: (Proverbs 23:20)

Jesus would have been violating that His own Word!

He may have in His lifetime ran across drunks, but He certainly did not make it a practice to hang out with them.

The fact that He could not have hung around with those who were drinking alcoholic wine further proves that the wine at the wedding feast of Cana was non-fermented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.