1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Answer to Bishop Wright, Postmodernist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 15, 2008.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm uncomfortable with much of what Wright says, but here's a section from that same speech that is very pro-bible and has some good suggestions.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Once again, underlining the need to read a person's larger work on a subject and so on. :thumbs:

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

JD,

Wright is a gadfly. I feel you and I particularly don't like his current views on Justification.

But the Bishop is a solid scholar.

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

There needs to be a rule about cutting and pasting articles, then leaving nothing else.

Otherwise, I believe there is a "news" forum.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Are you saying that Wright never said this and Time has misquoted him?

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Nope, I'm sure Time was accurate. The website Linda posted from I hold in suspicion.
    Here's the link to the Time article: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1710844,00.html

It looks like Bishop Wright even mentions "life, after life after death" in the interview and says that the conscious intermediate state will be like being asleep compared to bodily existence. I don't know why Christians feel the need to misrespresent fellow Christians on the Internet. Here we have two examples on one figure in one afternoon.

#26 Brandon C. Jones, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here is some comments by Piper from the book you reference. The whole book is available online at http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/OnlineBooks/ByTitle/2480_The_Future_of_Justification/

Seems there's some good things about this guy and some bad things. Some of the bad things are major problems.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

JD,

I read Piper's book last November while on vacation.

Wright has turned upside down what Paul has said about Justification. For Wright Justification is nothing but a sign.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not willing presently to use that word "solid" to describe him, but I'm teachable on it.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, according to the quote you provided from Piper, Piper seems to think so.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So just where has he been "misquoted"?

Wright, in the Times article goes on to show his agenda.

The context of this statement was made with regards to dismissing environmental issues. As if we are to assist God in renewing His creation by way of saving the environment.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As I said before, N. T. Wright could not limit himself to five sentences, to give the temperature.

Nor could he do it without an audience, either, probably. :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You're right about Wright. :laugh:

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

That Wright fits perfectly well into the various views about the End Times might be an understatement.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And in some cases this is a result of engaging in theological gymnastics.

16. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

He was misrepresented when the snippet from Linda says that the believes Christians will be asleep in God and inactive. I must have missed that part.

He was misrepresented in the OP because for some odd reason that website defines fundamentalism as Christianity, which, my guess is, differs from Wright's definition of fundamentalism.

It's fine if you disagree with Wright, but at least disagree with something he actually thinks instead of jumping to your own conclusions. At least try to figure out what he's saying before speaking for or against him.

17. cdanddvdpublisher

cdanddvdpublisher New Member

This was a very interesting thread. I'm not real familiar with N.T. Wright's teachings, but based on the snippets culled for this thread and used to cast him in an unfriendly light, I'd say that his detractors are the one's who are making much ado about nothing. Even if his views are not 100% orthodox in some respects, we must act ourselves, "What does he make of Jesus Christ," for everyone who says he is Lord does so by the power of the Holy Spirit.

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Which, no doubt, would put him on the exact same level playing field with some of his more athletic detractors. :rolleyes:

I am no particular fan, as I said before, but that alone is not reason to pigeonhole what any individual has actually said, out of the whole context. If one were to look hard enough, one can probably find a few statements by most any of us that would fit that category. And certainly one with a voluminous assemblage of words, such as N. T. Wright, would have more chance at this than most of us.

Ed

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board.

Ed

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yep, even when Wright is wrong! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed