1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An aside on Bible names

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pete Richert, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Yea, I really get annoyed at all the additions to the NIV, like NIVi, or TNIV, etc. Part of the problem is that every bible translations has to name itself with one, or all, of the following words, English (this one is natural of course), international, new, standard, version, revised.

First off, "new" is a stupid word to use because it is not going to be "new" for ever. It is like when you are studying art from the 17th century and they call it the modern period. Then we have to have post-modern, post-post-modern, just because a bunch of guys in the 17th century didn't realize they wouldn't be modern forever. New International Version gives way to the "Today's" New International Verison which twenty years from now will be revised into the "Current Today's New International Version" or CTNIV.

Second: everybody has got to use the word "Standard" less we think they are not the STANDARD (even three days after it is released with five readers.) So we got the Standard Bible for Americans (ASB) and the New Standard Bible for Americans (NASB), and then we got the Standard Bible for the whole English speaking world (English Standard Version), and then we got to one up them and have the STANDARD Bible for the whole world (International Standard Version).

And led us not forget to tell everyone were revised, though no one will remember what we are revised from twenty years from now.

I was a little taken aback when Holman actually called their translation after themselves (seemed a bit prideful to me) but now I don't think it was such a bad idea. At least they were being honest, it is the Bible translated by "US", namely Holman. Oh wait, don't forget it is the STANDARD for all Christians everywhere, being it is the Holman Christian Standard Bible.

2. aefting

aefting New Member

Maybe we should name new translations after the current king.

I'll take a GWBV over a WJCV any day. ;)

Andy

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would be worse?

Making wholesale changes in spelling, wording, translation and then using the SAME NAME so as to deceive people into thinking it is an accurate and infallible original translation!

4. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Classic, Dr. Bob. Nice KJVO blast. I will have to remember this one.

5. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Simple solution: NASB 5.0, NASB 6.0, NASB 6.1, NIV Pentium XI.

Bible users already on-Word should get free upgrades.