1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

an election OUTSIDE America ....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bob Farnaby, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right folks.. there are elections in other countries!

Here in Australia we are due to vote for our Federal Parliament on November 24th. The choice is between the tired, out of touch Liberal/National party lead by John Howard the current Prime Minister and the vague, inexperienced Labor Partylead by Kevin Rudd. (roughly the Lib/Nats are very consevative, the Labor are moderately conservative with a few weird things thrown in).

We also have the Greens as a third party, who may just get enough votes to have an influence in the Senate ( Australia's upper house). Then there are a plethora of minor parties who are mostly one issue people.

Please pray for us as we go to vote .. and yes, voting is compulsary in Australia .. well, you need to go to the polling both and get your voting paper - what you do with it is up to you ..

Liberal Party of Australia http://www.liberal.org.au/

Australian Labor Party http://www.alp.org.au/index.php

The Greens http://greens.org.au/intro/

Regards
    Bob

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    G'day mate! Canadian living in Australia here. I arrived just as the NSW election was occuring and was facinated and little confused by compulsary voting. Since then, I've asked many Sydney-siders of their views on compulsary voting and pretty much everyone is for it.

I would always exercise my right to vote and strongly encourage people to be informed about their voting. But compulsary voting sounds counter-intuitive to me and I don't believe it does encourage people to be informed about their vote, which is what I gather people think is the purpose of compulsary voting.

I was just wondering what your views were.

3. Pete

Pete New Member

You kid they don't get upset with you (oh ok, ME then) when just get name crossed off and walk out without taking the paper. Or just folding it in front of them and dropping it in the box unmarked before storming out in disgust.

How long until we have to go through the motions now? I can hardly wait... :laugh:

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Compulsary voting as long as "none of the above" is added to every candidate list.

5. Pete

Pete New Member

billwald, it gets better than just compulsory voting though, there is also the preferential voting system running Down Under. If no one candidate gets the required 50% + 1 vote to win the seat, the voters 2nd, 3rd, etc choices are worked out to put in the candidate that people hate the least from them all.

My dream system is end compulsory voting and preferential system, but keep the 50% + 1......so just think, the next election would be the last, we would be rid of the polis!! :D :D