1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Encouraging Message

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by WorthyIsTheLamb, Sep 27, 2007.

1. WorthyIsTheLamb

WorthyIsTheLamb New Member

Hello all. I know I do not post on here much but I wanted to let you all know about a wonderful message I found call "GRACE" by Harry Nix. This is a soul stirring message from God's Word. I am not here trying to promote this dear man of God but this is an excellent message. If you like a more reserved style of preaching then this one might not be for you, but this message blessed my heart. If any of you know Brother Nix he is a wonderful preacher and pulpiteer. God bless you all and I hope you enjoy.

http://www.audiopreaching.com/preaching.html
    Click on Grace - Harry Nix

:godisgood:

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

The words were encouraging - it's great to hear the grace of God uplifted - but the delivery (with all the shouting, both by the preacher and in the background) was strange to me. I expect that is what you meant by some people liking a more reserved style of preaching.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Lamb, you've just experienced what was originally a regional style of preaching. Think of the interaction as a kind of call and response. As Brother Nix preaches, the audience is amening and expressing their agreement with him.
    From the sounds of the introduction, the message was preached at a regional fellowship meeting not a regular meeting of a given church.

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

hahahaha...welcome to USA southern preaching. It really is a cultural thing brother.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Yes, I understand that. And (lest I be misunderstood) I was not saying that the style was wrong, just that it was strange to me. (Having said that, I suppose I have seen/heard that sort of preaching portrayed in films/movies, though not with quite the same volume. But I imagined it to be "Hollywood Hype" :) )

6. Orion41

Orion41 New Member

I like that kind of preaching personally. Keeps me awake :laugh: .

7. WorthyIsTheLamb

Sorry about that. I should have phrased better. It is not a more reserved style but the area we are in. I appreciate Brother Squire noting that. I forget we really get into the preaching down here, but as long is it is the true gospel of Christ, it is all good preaching!:thumbs:

8. tjfkbrawny

tjfkbrawny New Member

Amen..
    Sometimes people visit here and think they have moved to another country LOL!!!

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

There was a time we tried to make it another country.

10. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Thanks for sharing this message from Brother Nix

and I was blessed by the others who posted on this preachers' sermon and style. Aren't glad that God did not clone us all to sound the same. How boring!And I appreciate the sweet attitude toward our brother in Christ!WorthyIsTheLamb feel free to come aboard and share some more on this fine Christian messageboard.

11. North Carolina Tentmaker

Man I kind of hate to post this but here goes anyway.

Well I finally got around to listening to the Harry Nix sermon. There are several others on the site I look forward to listening to as well. Thanks for posting the link. I really enjoyed the message and the energy and it is like the preaching I grew up on and is fun to hear.

But, did anyone else have a problem with Brother Nix's illustration on the child of the king? This is not a new illustration, I have heard it in multiple sermons before. But before it was always told as a fictional son of a fictional king who the evil people try to corrupt but ultimately they fail and the young prince is put to death, but he maintains his holiness because he is a child of the king. It is a good illustration and is told with passion in this message. But Nix tells the story as if it were true stating that it was the son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and sets it during the French revolution. My only problem with this is that of course that is not true. I was really into the message and enjoying it but his illustration totally blew it for me.

Does anyone else get totally distracted when something like that is said from the pulpit that you know is factually wrong? The facts of the illustration had nothing to do with the point Nix was making. But the fact that he said something from the pulpit I knew was not true just totally ruined the point for me. I don't want to critize a preacher and his sermon was biblically sound, just his illustration was a lie.

12. WorthyIsTheLamb

Actually part of this is true. During the French Revolution, Louis XVI was captured and killed. Also Marie Antoinette was executed. But their son Lous XVII, or considered the king by many, was "re-educated" by the new monarchy or goverment. He was made to drink large amounts of alcohol, tried to be made a glutin, dressed like a girl, beaten, etc. Now I do not know about the woman or the statements made, but they did try to turn him into "trashy" boy. He later died while still in prison.

This really did not bother me to bad since I really do not know the whole story. But I can see how it might some folks.

#12 WorthyIsTheLamb, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007