1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Evaluation of Today's Preaching:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 31, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Here's a cool quote from Baptist pastor Dr. Steven J. Lawson on today's preaching: "Exposition has been replaced by experiences, Preaching by performances, Doctrine by duty, and Theology by theatrics."

I think he is on target.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I would tend to agree with him also.

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I think he is exactly on target. To be fair, I think the people being preached to are a lot to blame. Seems now days people want their ears tickled.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But , teachers ( and I think preachers are in focus here ) will be judged more strictly according to James 3:1 .

No preacher worth his salt will compromise his sacred commission . It won't be much of an excuse to tell the Lord at the Final Reckoning that it was the fault of my congregation -- they wanted ear-tickling messages .

The congrgation of course is blameworthy , but the pastor moreso .

5. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Man, I love his teachings. A friend of mine at Marantha turned me on to his teachings, and I have to say, he is the most capable Bible teacher I have ever heard. Thanks for the great quote, Yes, it's right on!

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I've been blessed with pastors who didn't do the motivational speech stuff, and were not the least bit concerned with my sex life.

I've been spoiled. I've been exposed to so much great expositional preaching.

I started to say that when you hear sound, biblical, expositional preaching--real meat--you won't be satisfied with junk food any more. But then I got to thinking, a lot of our modern megachurches are filled with folks who eat that stuff up.

7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The pervassiveness of JUNK out there is the exact reason why old programs like "Thru the Bible" are still on long after the death of J Vernon McGee....IMO.