1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured An example of practical Calvinism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was a Calvinist, Calvinism is the gospel, and on and on the claims keep coming. Calvinism has been shown to be mistaken doctrine over and over. Each time the verse is nullified, i.e. words are redefined, is said to be a parable, is said to be poetry, and so forth. But when a parable or figure of speech seems to support Calvinism, why it is the very word of God. Hypocritical

Calvinism lives in the shadows. The doctrines are presented in code so the uninformed will think one thing is being said, but quite another is actually in view. Calvinists say if you believe, but they do not say, if God chose you before creation and therefore enabled you to believe.

Jesus said our yes should be yes and our no should be no. So to return to the OP, what is practical is to cloak Calvinism in code so the uninformed think the actual gospel is being presented.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

See I don't get that. if someone comes to me and starts talking to me about Jesus in terms of what some sinful man taught, I have to tell them to put on the brakes.

Jesus did the perfect job of explaining Himself with His own words so why would anyone really care what Calvin had to say?

Preach the word!!!

If they are truly biblical concepts, shouldn't they just be referred to as teachings of the Bible rather than Calvinism?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do not always agree, Zaac, but your post #22 is spot on.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My disguist with comparing Calvin to Jesus has to do with the character of Calvin, not the doctrine.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its the Non cals that keep calling it the teachings/doctrines of calvin, we call it the way to understand what the BIBLE says!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    calvin just taught what paul had His revelation from Jesus about!

Its called Romans!

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What sinful men? It,Calvinism seeks to explain the doctrines of Scripture from the Scripture.

Self-evident.

Not his teachings;but its teachings. --That is the teachings of the Bible.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Then teach Romans. If the teachings are as simple as repeating Romans ,then every Christian who identifies it as Calvinism as opposed to the word of God should be ashamed.

You keep saying cal and non-cal. If it's Romans, why aren't you calling it the word of God?

The whole cal thing kinda smells like idolatry to some degree. Kinda how cults get started.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More garbage from Sat/Nep. He glories in it.

#29 Rippon, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013
  10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Then why is Scripture testifying of Scripture being called Calvinism by you and others if it's that simple? Calvin didn't write any part of the Bible.

I prefer to focus on God's word rather than the words of other sinful men. So if that is self-evident, I'm guilty.:laugh:

Again, if it's theteachings of the Bible, why have you referred to those teachings as Calvinism?

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'd much rather hold the position that saturnneptune holds than to be ascribing God's word to this Calvin person.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No,you have simply stated that untruth repeatdely over the years ad nauseam.

Yak,yak,yak. That's all you do.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfect...but learn what Calvinism is first......may I suggest 'Doctrines of Grace' by James Montgomery Boice

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Instead of staying uninformed and thereby being led about by misinformation ---read ---discerningly.

15. Monster

Monster New Member

...don't know why I'm even bothering to post here (at the BB) anymore, but...

This constant debate is the most disheartening "biblical" mess of a thing I can recall. It puts to shame the Lordship-Salvation debacle, the Purpose Driven Whatever, the (_________) insert favored divisive topic here.

I've never consistently read worse in any christian forum. The viciousness, the vitriol, the stark hatred and worst of all, the thinly veiled statements that call into question the salvation of those that do not believe a human interpretation of the Almighty God, in five parts...yikes!

God help us all.

Adios!

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't want to know what Calvinism is anymore than I already know. There just simply is nothing so worth my time that i could go back and forth about what a man says or doesn't say.

i'll stick with God's word and calling it His word.:laugh:

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It is pretty crazy.:praying:

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is a technical question about the board. Maybe someone can help. I put Rippon and Dr A on ignore for obvious reasons a while back because of an infraction. My question is, even after putting them on ignore, one can see the posts when another quotes them. Is there anyway to get rid of the quoted posts one puts on ignore? I have no desire to see anything either one of them posts.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No there isn't unless the one who quotes them is also on ignore.

20. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I pretty much agree with you.

And I have cut back considerably on my posting here.